Tastiest brand of store-bought hot dogs?

It was a while after Boar’s Head cold cuts were available around here before the dogs showed up. You might want to ask the deli guys if they can get them. The hot dog section at the grocery might get stocked as a different department. I still can’t get the natural casing Boar’s Head dogs all the time.

What a timely thread. I’ll be grilling Hebrew Nationals for dinner tonight. Unfortunately, I’m out of sauerkraut, so it’ll just be chopped onions, yellow mustard, and a bit of pickle relish as toppings. Mrs. Cheese eats hers with ketchup. (I know. :dubious: )

Even if they had the nastiest dogs in the area, this sounds like a great place to have lunch every now and then, if only for the Drama. Who needs soaps?

Has he tried hebrew national, or nathans?

Not meaning to hijack, but - years ago I used to buy hot dogs that had chili inside.

I haven’t seen anything like that for years. Anybody know if they are made anymore?

Are you talking about Frank-n-Stuffs? I don’t think I’ve seen those since the 80s or early 90s. ETA: This says they were discontinued in the late 80s.

Hebrew National is the gold standard, but Kayem Natural Casing Beef Franks are nearly as good.

Any hotdog fan that finds themselves in Michigan, must try Koegel’s. They are the best. I used to manage a grocery store and it was very common for people from out of state to order a case or two of them when visiting. Yumm!! So good!

When I was young, with our hot dogs we used something with flat sides. We called it “a slice of bread”. :slight_smile: But never toasted.

Now I always use regular buns. Hebrew National low-fat, relish, mustard, chopped onion.

I accidentally bought Hebrew National Fat-Free dogs one time and to me, they tasted AWFUL There was just something nasty and artificial going on. YMMV.

ETA: did anyone ever cook their hot dog by sticking it on a fork and holding it over the gas burner til it was nice and charred? Can’t do it anymore–got an electric stove.

I’m not going to even pretend to have an opinion.

However, the question arose when my gaming group decided on dogs for lunch a few months ago (we cook collectively and eat [and drink] like kings). It was my turn to shop, so I consulted this.

Again, I have no basis for an opinion whatsoever. I ended up buying Nathan’s regular dogs, and they went over fine.

What I really want to know is what all y’all think looking at that list.

Personally, I find that list quite different than what I like. Ballpark hot dogs? Oscar Meyer? The only Oscar Meyers I actually enjoy are the Premium Beef franks, and they rank the lowest of the Oscar Meyer products they listed at #15. And only two natural casing dogs in the top 10?

Sure did. I learned to hold only the dog over the flame and not the bare metal of the fork, too!

He won’t. I don’t eat them much so I don’t have a dog in this fight (sorry - I swear I didn’t do that on purpose) - I let him eat what he wants.

Many of those brands are not available where I live. Interesting that Hebrew National came out first. I’m going to buy some Nathan’s this weekend and do my own taste comparison.

So true. One of life’s hard-learned lessons… :smack:

If you’re lucky enough to have a butcher reasonably close to you, go there and try some of their hotdogs. They’re out of this world amazing. Just like the ones at the ballpark.

I know the title of the OP includes “store-bought hotdogs,” but I had to make this plug. We’ve got a butcher in our suburb, and their hotdogs are fantastic. They’re a little more, so it’s a bit of a splurge, but so so worth it. Give it a go; you won’t go back.

All together now:

“Behold the creature that walks like a man!..”

No she doesn’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

The butcher shop is a “store.” Besides, I’m not that picky. :cool:

The butcher counter in our big gourmet grocery store sometimes has what they refer to as “Chicago hot dogs.” They’re not packaged. Anyone know what makes these special?

Are they Vienna Beef or Chicago Red Hots, by chance? Those would make them “Chicago hot dogs.”

There’s nothing particularly special about them. A traditional “Chicago hot dog” is natural casing, all beef, flavored with the usual: garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, some fragrant spices, and lightly smoked. The only assumption I would make if someone described a hot dog as a Chicago hot dog (and was referring to the sausage itself, not the presentation and condimenting), all I would assume was that it was an all-beef hot dog.