Tastiest brand of store-bought hot dogs?

The “all-beef” aspect makes a huge difference though.

I don’t want anything else. I’m surprised at how tasteless and unsatisfying most pork hot dogs are. I have to get brats to get decent flavor from a pork sausage on a bun (or other specialty sausages).

Sure, but New York (City) style hot dogs are also all-beef, kosher-style, typically.

Pork hot dogs can be very good, as can veal hot dogs. My standard hot dog is all-beef, but I love Sahlen’s beef & pork, as well as Hoffman’s hot reds, which are a mix of beef, pork, and veal. I’m not as bit a fan of Sahlen’s all-beef dogs, preferring the Chicago all-beef hot dogs. If I want something more delicate, an all-veal hot dog/frankfurter hits the spot.

Kunzler!

I might be prejudiced, since I grew up near the factory. If the wind was right, I could smell which days they were smoking meats :smiley:

The distribution area might be a bit on the small size for most of you, though. Can’t get them around here for sure :frowning:

There are stores around me, so I’m putting in the hot dogs from Omaha Steaks. I swear, they make the best hot dog I’ve ever eaten in my life. I’ve gotten three of my friends hooked on them. Since we rarely eat them, we pay a bit more for these and they are worth every penny!

Um, that should be “red hots” of course.

Hebrew National one pounders. Cooked on a gas grill, with onions and mustard. Perfection.

They still make those, right? Haven’t seen them at Costco recently.

sure you can, just turn the burner on high and char away. No pretty flames and you might want to protect your hand or use something longer than a table fork but it works a treat!

On a very related note, has anyone ever tried the spiral cut cooking method for hot dogs?

I like mine almost burnt, so I imagine I would like this way too. I just don’t have convenient access to a grill ATM, otherwise I’d try it myself.

Cool, Imma try that next time I cook 'em. We do make octopus dogs for our 2 year old.

I like Nathan’s.

I don’t really care about hot dogs, pretty sure I’ve never bought them for home for myself, but…MrTao brought home some bacon-wrapped hot dogs from Costco and O.M.G. Much better than I expected, MUCH better. I would buy those just for me. :slight_smile: Otherwise, if I’m going that direction food-wise, I’ll stick to kielbasa or a full sausage.

I like the ‘hot reds’ better. RedHots are candy, and I don’t want to bbq those!

Thumann’s beef & pork, natural casing. Very rarely and not recently found by me, but when I’m in New Jersey I always get at least a five pound pack. Last time I was there, Shop-Rite had them on sale and I bought ten pounds. Should have bought more. They went quick.

On a toasted New England style bun with Boars Head sauerkraut and A. Bauer’s mustard.

If you’re in Chicago get over to 2501 N. Damen Ave. and pick up a 10 lb. box of natural casing dogs from the Vienna Beef retail store. They’re fantastic.

Thank you! Though none of them are close, it’s good to know that if we go on a road trip, I can make a special stop.

My favorite mustard is an aioli mustard sauce that Trader Joe’s carries. That stuff is addictive, goes great with hot dogs and other sausages.

Very Cool. I’m guessing this would work well in a frying pan, too. More surface area to char.

CubMistress, I’m going to try cooking my dogs over the electric burner! Thanks!