Tattoo Opinions

Marley had some good suggestions, but let me add one: think about whether you want to see it all the time. When I got my tattoo, I agonized over where to put it. My first inclination was my biceps, but I ended up putting it on my forearm, and I’m glad I did. It’s there because I like it, and I enjoy having it somewhere that I can see it.

Just speaking as a member of the SDMB here, not as a moderator:

If you don’t like tattoos, you might want to consider not reading threads about them instead of saying something obnoxious to someone who has already decided on a tat. 'Round these parts, we call that threadshitting, and it’s frowned upon.

What a pissy little lecture.

If you don’t like vehement commentary then internet message boards
are not a real good place for you to hang out.

Threadshitting is very bad form here. That includes going into a Windows thread to say that Windows sucks, going into a Bible thread to call all Christians idiots, or making snarky comments about tattoos in a tattoo advice thread.

All of this, times 10 to the 20th power.

I’d never heard of Bohemian Grove. I clicked on the link and educated myself.

And I concluded that the Bohemian Grove is one of the most STUPID thing I’ve ever heard. MUCH MORE STUPID than a tattoo.

Just how much is this quotation going to make you think of Bohemian Grove? If you look upon your tattoo ten years from now, will you think, “Oh, that still sounds so cool,” or "Shit, the only thing I can think of right now is ‘Bohemian Grove.’ "

I’d really recommend a quotation that doesn’t have so much baggage.
~VOW

I have seen enough of this place be able to tell that it is the same as most other such chatrooms.
Every thread and every post are fair game, within the bounds of a civility defined by forum ownership,
and enforced, at times arbitrarily, by forum administrators.

I dunno about Windows threads and tatoos threads, but I have looked in on my share of religion threads
at SDMB , and I do not think any of them lasted 1/2 a page without some kind of “threadshit”, as you
might put it. It’s something readers must learn to live with, whatever the subject, be it love of Jesus,
or love of their ridiculous tattoos.

If I were you I’d come up with an alternate explanation to have at the ready–you may not want to discuss your anxiety problems with everyone who sees your tat.

I like the idea, and had no idea what the Bohemian Grove was, but when I read about it, I too felt like that was a lot of baggage. But what we think really only matters as much as you let it! Get it if you like.

Despite what you think, you’re now hijacking the thread, in addition to shitting on it. I’m telling you to stop it now, or you’ll receive an official warning. Get enough of those, and you’re out the door.

Thank you,
Ellen Cherry
IMHO Moderator

If you want a tattoo, it’s okay by me. I have thing or two to say, though.

Get some permanent ink felt markers, and draw your prospective tattoo on your skin. If you still like it by the time the ink wears off, get the tattoo.

I accidentally tuned into the Charlie Sheen roast the other night, just in time to see a comedienne tell Mike Tyson he had a slut’s lower back tattoo on his face. Tyson thought it was funny. That’s something to think about, if you’re shopping for a facial tattoo, or for that matter, a lower back tattoo, I guess. Could you have Tyson’s good humor about it? Good for you.

I think tattoos *should *have meaning to the person who gets them (instead of just putting some random design on yourself) and if the quote is meaningful to you, go for it.

Why not visit a couple tattoo parlors in your area and tell them what you want, and see if they have suggestions on placement, design etc?

I always thought that a Bible quote would make a fine tattoo - perhaps “Leviticus 19:28” Sorta self-referential. :wink:

But more seriously - I read recently that some snake-handlers in Burma tattoo themselves with snake venom, to make themselves immune. That would have to be the ultimate badass gesture … perhaps for a spider-related tattoo, spider venom would be more significant!