Teenager and school problem

Except for the bi-polar and cutting problem, you could be describing my daughter. She pulled that 'I’m sick" stuff all the time, knowing that I could not physically drag her to school, and knowing that I had to be at work on time or get fired, so she had me over a barrel. As a single mom I had no back-up but the school, and they just said it was my responsibility to get her there. The police didn’t help much either, though they talked to her. And when she actually went to school she ended up ditching early. She dropped out her senior year, and it was actually a relief to not have to argue every morning. She got her GED with flying colors, got a job, moved out at 19, and though she has had a hard time keeping jobs, she now has a strong desire to go to college.

I wish you all the luck in the world. At least you don’t have to face all this alone.

kittneblue, thanks for the words of encouragement! No, I don’t have to face it alone, and while I’m very grateful for that, my husband does work out of town, Monday through Friday, so as far as the logistics go, he’s not very helpful on a daily basis. Also, unlike you, I’m a SAHM, so I’m available to keep an eye on things. That makes it easier.

We’re very much hoping that once she reaches adulthood, she’ll grow up. I don’t know if that will happen. I do know that once she’s an adult, we will not bail her out of jams continuously. I don’t believe you do a grown-up child any favors that way. When she turns 18, she can only stay at home if she’s either continuing her education, or contributing to the household financially. Otherwise, we will kick her ass out! I have a friend who doesn’t believe that we would do this, but as hard as it would be, we will. It would be the best thing for her, for us, and for our other children.