Teens Epic Facebook Fail

I’m still laughing after seeing this video. 15 year old Teen posts obscenity laced rant against her parents & household chores on Facebook. Thinking her privacy settings will keep it hid from parents.

Very, very bad idea. :stuck_out_tongue: Especially when dad works in IT.

Dad made a video for his precious daughter’s Facebook wall. Funniest thing I ever saw. Every parent needs to take notes. I don’t think she’ll be using that laptop anytime soon. :smiley:

The guy is a major jerk. Let me count the ways:

1. Put down the cigarrette.
  2. He chastises his daughter for swearing but doesn’t lead by example.
  3. The daughter’s crime? Posting her thoughts on Facebook. We all vent. Grow up.
  4. A gun? Really? No. Just no.
  5. Sell the computer if he wants, but don’t destroy something like a petulent child. Then claim that the child owes him recompense for the software installed and the bullets.
  6. He raised that child. Based off the litany of things she has (cell phone, lap top, room with a lock on it) he’s possibly spoiled her then complain that she’s spoiled.
  7. It’s a dick move posting it on the internet. Don’t like aired dirty laundry? Don’t do it yourself.
  8. If a woman is being paid to clean either in cash, trade, or striped gum, then she is “the cleaning lady”. Settle down.

That said.

It does sound like she was warned about posting things like that before and she didn’t “learn her lesson”. She might have some growing up to do, but it’s expected, she’s 15 years old. What’s not expected is that the parent has a lot more than she.

Agreed that this guy is a dick.

Additionally:
8. Did whatever he did to get around her attempts at having some privacy.
9. She was apparently grounded for 3 months for something similar. That seems wildly inappropriate and controlling.

I got the impression that this was a friend of theirs that has offered to clean up to pay for some services rendered that this guy helped her out with.

That being said, the most shocking thing of all is his pride in violating her privacy with his mad IT skillz. I sure as hell wouldn’t hire an IT guy that was so cavalier about breaching user security for personal reasons.

I suppose I’ll be the differing opinion: I think it’s great. Good for him.

Obviously grounding her didn’t do the trick, so he took away the item she is using to defy rules. I’m sure he paid for that laptop, so he can do whatever he wants with his own property. Sure, it’s his daughter’s laptop insofar that her parents let her use it, but access to Facebook when you’re 15 is a privilege, not a right.

If the kid’s rants were even half accurate, I completely side with her. For a 15 year old to have to come home and do the following really is crazy:

"If you want coffee, get off your ass and get it yourself. If you want a garden, shovel the fertiliser yourself, don’t sit back on your ass and watch me do it. If you walk in the house and get mud all over the floor that I just cleaned, be my guest, but clean it up after you are done getting s**t everywhere.

I’m tired of picking up after you. You tell me at least once a day that I need to get a job. You could just pay me for all the s**t that I do around the house. Every day when I get home from school, I have to do dishes, clean the counter tops, all the floors, make all the beds, do the laundry and get the trash. I’m not even going to mention all the work I do around your clinic.

And if I don’t do all that every day, I get grounded. Do you know how hard it is to keep up with chores and schoolwork? It’s freaking crazy."

And she mentions that they already have a cleaning lady!

Sure, teach the kid some responsibility and hard work, but even Cinderella wasn’t worked this much by her evil stepmother. And I’d be pissed too if I cleaned the floors and then someone tracks mud onto them.

Also, I don’t know where they live, but it must be fine with child labor if any 15 year old can get a job. If she does, the dad would probably complain about having to drive her to work.

And getting up at 5am and going to bed at 10pm? That’s freaking tiring. It leaves you only 7 hours for sleep and most professionals recommend at least 8 or 9 for kids. If the kid got up at a normal time, 7am, she’d essentially be going to bed at midnight. This dickhead probably thinks that kind of curfew is too late and would make her to to bed earlier

Who makes their kid bring them coffee anyway? Are they teaching her to be a maid? And I can understand watering the plants, but shoveling fertilizer too? Add to that dishes, laundry, counter tops, bed, floors, and trash, not to mention the unmentioned stuff around their “clinic”?

The parents are lazy as shit. They should just go to a third world and buy a slave if that’s what they want. The kid definitely has a right to rant and if it were me, knowing how rebellious I was, I would have retaliated by throwing a hammer into the dad’s computer while he was using it

So, the whining and feeling sorry for yourself is strong in this family, eh?

YogSosoth, as you can see in the father’s video, he contests the idea that she has to do half the chores she claims she does. He lists off her responsibilities, which are apparently printed up on the wall for her, lest she forget (things like: sweep the floor, wipe down the counters, empty the dishwasher if it’s been run, do your own laundry, and make your bed). When I was a kid, my mom would sometimes ask me to get her some coffee or a soda. So? I’d ask her to get me stuff, too. As an adult, my friends and I regularly do this now, too. But see, from the POV of an angsty teen, “Honey, can you refill my coffee for me while you’re up please?” is probably equivalent to throwing her out in the fields and telling her to pick cotton all day.

Further though, when I was in high school, there’s literally no way I would have been able to get up at 7 AM— school started at 7:10. Yes, 8-9 is suggested for most teens, but I regularly went to bed after midnight and got up at 5-- I had lots of homework to do, tv to watch, and ass to sit on.

Teens always exaggerate the time it takes for chores. My dad wanted the yard raked every week in the Fall. He did it until I turned 13. Then it was my job. By doing it weekly there’s never more than a couple bags of leafs on the yard.

I used to drag that job out. I’d screw around in the house, drinking coke, watch tv, anything to put it off. Then I’d work in slo-motion raking the yard. A 45 minute job took me two hours. My own stubbornness and stupidity. I guess I liked being a martyr then.

The teen disrespected her parents. All her peers were reading her rant and snickering at her parents. I certainly never tolerated that with my kids. We had our typical parent/teen disagreements, but respect was expected on both sides.

Do not be surprised if we see some follow-up news about this caring dad’s untimely end. Facebook Soap Opera.

You’re not alone DiosaBellissima. Count me as one who thinks that the spoiled rotten (and apparently, stupid to boot) little shit got exactly what she deserved. :smiley:

+1! :stuck_out_tongue:

My parents were strict (probably too strict), but they never took glee in my punishment. Doing so would just create an adversarial environment and drive a wedge between parent and child. Instead of reflecting on what she’s done wrong, the daughter is going to entrench herself in the belief that her parents are unreasonable. After all, putting 8 rounds from a .45 into a laptop are the actions of an unreasonable man. The odds of this guy ever having a normal adult relationship with his daughter are now lower thanks to his childish actions.

If he’s fine with that, then so be it. But good parenting, this is not. This is childish behavior.

Pretty much. It’s setting just about the worst model for conflict resolution I can imagine other than maybe shooting his daughter and posting it on youtube. He’s the adult, ffs.

I really can’t side with either the dad or the kid. While I can’t imagine the kid’s claims are all true, there’s no way the dad’s are either.

That’s just as much or more of an exaggeration as her post. And, of course, shooting the laptop, then saying he’d be charging her for the laptop, software, and bullets, is just stupidly over the top.

Edit: Note that I’m not saying I don’t believe he may have done all those things at some point in his high school career. As an 18-year-old senior, maybe. But as a 15-year-old freshman, maybe sophomore? No way.

I have no problem with embarrasing the kid on the internet, and I certainly have no problem with depriving her of her computer, but that was way too long and could have been so much more entertaining AND instructional.

I would have made a video briefly referring to her second offense in using the computer her parents bought her to post disrespectful diatribes against them, briefly explaining that her life ain’t so tough, and briefly explaining how much more deserving the kid that I’m giving it to, right now, on camera, is. Here, more deserving kid. Enjoy!

The problem isn’t that he took away her laptop. The problem is that his rule is apparently that she can’t bitch about him to her friends. He’s not punishing her for not doing her chores, or for not applying for jobs. He’s complaining about that, but he’s really just mad that she’s saying mean things about him.

Thinking that you can control when or how a 15-year-old complains about her parents as petty dictators (as basically all 15-year-olds do) by acting out the part of a petty dictator is foolish.

Destroying the laptop was meant to drive home the point that her days of using a computer are over for awhile. Since this guy is in IT he can easily replace it in a few months. I work in IT and buy/sell & repair used pc’s frequently.

He could have used a hammer, drove over it with his truck, or shot it. Makes no difference how its destroyed. The point was made. She’s not posting on Facebook for awhile.

I probably would have wiped the drive and given it to the Salvation Army or Goodwill.

I just love how people on the dope get all high and mighty and judgemental without even knowing the whole story. Fighting Ignorance? fucking please.

Here’s the story on how he found the facebook post in the first place.

Here’s the dads facebook page.

"HOW SHE GOT CAUGHT: The Dog Did It… no, really.

I finally came out and told her this today, partly because it was too funny NOT to share.

When my daughter made her post, she used Facebook’s privacy settings to block “Family” and “Church” friend’s lists. All her other friends could see it. We, of course could not.

One of our dogs is always getting in photos and therefore has her own Facebook page. It’s just a cute dumb thing we did for fun. Well, the dog’s profile is rarely used except when funny pictures of her are posted. Since that’s not too often, and she has very few friends on Facebook, her wall is kind of bare, with relatively few posts showing up on it.

The other night we gave the dog a bath and there was a funny photo we uploaded to Facebook and tagged her in. I logged in as the dog the next morning to comment on the photo. However when I logged into the dog’s profile, my daughter had forgotten to add her to the “family” list… so our family dog’s profile showed her post right there on the front page.

It wasn’t any parent-hacking, computer spying, or monitoring of any kind… the dog actually ratted her out completely by accident. She hasn’t petted that dog all day today…"

I loved it! Okay, the gun freaked me out a little - but I imagine it’s standard in that household.

Here is a Dad who clearly had tried to give his kid the best he could and was fed up with her shit. He addressed her behavior in a stern but calm manner, made it abundantly clear why she was going to have consequences for her actions, and didn’t resort to name-calling and verbal abuse. Not once did he lose his temper.

What she did was disrespectful and she deserved to get called out on it. And she damn well should have to pay for the $130 of software he installed on her defunct laptop.

The only thing that would have made it perfect is if he’d given the laptop away instead. A shame to see something like that go to waste.

I’m on Team Dad.