Telemann

Telemann was, like, really prolific or something, right? So he gets no respect.

Much better if he’d died at 24 after writing only a couple of sonatas and maybe a rock opera.

I play some his classical guitar stuff.

Vivaldi was incredibly prolific, as was Bach. In the Western world, it’s really only post-Beethoven that we start valuing the unfinished career so much, up until this very day!

Haydn and Mozart? Rattled off a ton of symphonies, the way someone’s mom churns out pies.

The composer? I picked “yes,” but didn’t bother to read the thread yet. Why are you asking?

ETA neat – I didn’t know anything about his life before some of the comments here.

It was a spin off from the thread about “Things you’re surprised that other people don’t know.” I picked something fairly obscure, yet which is emotionally important to me, just to see what would happen. I think the high percentage of “yes” votes is, itself, a surprise…but a wonderful one! The high percentage of people who have actually played his music is even more amazing to me…and even more wonderful!

I think you mean: If it ain’t Baroque, don’t Vicks it.

(Sorry, I’m not going to totally hijack this thread by telling the whole joke here. There are too many variations out there anyway. Google it yourself if you must.)