Telemarketers calling Cell Phones

This probably varies from state-to-state, but here in Massachusetts, nobody seems to get calls on their cell phones from telemarketers. I’m not complaining - just curious. Are there laws to prevent firms from calling random phone numbers and hitting my cell phone? Or are all cell phones “off-limits” to telemarketers? Do SDers from other states get telemarketing calls on their cells?

US Code regulating use of automatic dialers: "It shall be unlawful… to any telephone number assigned to a paging service, cellular telephone service, specialized mobile radio service, or other radio common carrier service, or any service for which the called party is charged for the call; "

http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html

Thanks, micco, for the cite. But I wonder if the TMers can call my cell if they got my number without using an ‘automatic dialer’. This has happened to me, and i’m still trying to figure out how they got my cell phone number: maybe, a “friend of a friend” used me as a reference and passed my cell phone number along.

As I understand it, cell phone numbers are purchased/reserved in blocks based on their prefixes so auto-dialers would ignore any set of prefixed numbers that are being used by cell phones.

Not in my area. Given a ten-digit number like xxx-yyy-zzzz, the area code and exchange (xxx-yyy) can be shared between POTS and cellular service. I have a mobile phone on an exchange which also serves installed residential land lines.

The last four (zzzz) may be allocated in blocks, but the TMs don’t seem to care. I have received telemarketing calls on my mobile. When I cite the US code linked above and browbeat the scumbag into giving me full contact information for both the marketing company and their client, they express righteous indignation that I would have cellular service on this exchange. Pinheads (oops, did I say that out loud in GQ?).

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by micco *
When I cite the US code linked above and browbeat the scumbag into giving me ful

Whoa, that wasn’t supposed to look like that! Let me try again …

Suppose I get a TM call on my cell, and I get their info. To whom should it be reported?

According to the code I linked, if they call your number more than once in a 12-month period, you can get an order to enjoin further violations and/or up to $500 in damages. You’d have to bring a civil suit in either case. Note, IANAL and my knowledge of this topic is pretty much limited to the link above and a few other things I read after getting such calls. YMMV.