Television-Now we'll NEVER know!

Pushing Daisies left a couple of cliffhangers unresolved. What happened to Chuck’s father? What was the whole thing with Chuck’s and Ned’s dads and the Stephen Root character?

It may not have gotten broadcast, but I thought it was supposed to have had a resolution filmed once they knew that it was ending.

Anyone know?

-Joew

The final episode doesn’t address either one of my questions, unfortunately. It DOES resolve the “Vivian doesn’t know that Lily is Chuck’s mother” and “The aunts don’t know Chuck’s alive again” and the “What does Olive do after?” and the “Emerson meets his daughter” plotlines, though.

I was also annoyed at John Doe, but having long ago read where the show was planning to go, I got over it.

Most of all I wish that Joan of Arcadia, Invasion, and Instant Star had all continued. Their finales set up big promises for the next season - none of which materalized. I also wish that Haunted had continued, so you could find out what had really happened to the main character’s son.

There was a show on FX a few years ago called Thief, starring Andre Braugher. The end of episode 6 left a whole lot of loose ends, and the series was never extended.

Very disappointing, because i really liked it, and thought Braugher was excellent in the lead role.

“V”. The original series.

This doesn’t fit exactly with the thread, but it’s close. The last episode of It’s Your Move was a two-parter, and there was a long delay between parts 1 and 2. Jason and Norman were getting ready for the fake band The Dregs of Humanity to go big-time with a record deal or concert or something, and it was left as a cliffhanger. After several weeks off the air they finally showed part 2.

Like Arrested Development, It’s Your Move had tight writing and Jason Bateman, and both were cancelled way too early.

American Gothic aired for 1 season in 1995-96. It was produced by Sam Raimi and starred Gary Cole as Sherrif Lucas Buck (possibly the devil), who is struggling to gain control of his illegitmate son Caleb, played with extraordinary presence by Lucas Black.

This tale of evil vs. good, with evil holding most of the cards, was genuinely scary at times, generally well acted and had the beginings of a good story arc. It had sort of the same “feel” as HBO’s Carnivale, having a similar theme. Unfortunately, it was not continued by CBS, though it had room to go for at least another season, and probably two. Lots of unanswered questions.

I thought they did end that in the final episode. A reluctant peace. Robin’s daughter, Elizabeth (who’d aged quickly to be a teenager) was going to the lizard world with the hopes that as a human-lizard hybrid she could help foster good human-lizard relations. The only cliffhanger was that Elizabeth’s boyfriend, Kyle, stowed away, so his fate would be unknown on earth. Or am I misremembering?

A biblical allegory with a penchant for Shakespearian speechifying-well, no surprise it went byebye, but Shit!

Taglines of the past: It begins with words, it ends with my day shot to hell

Bye Silas, run David, run :frowning:

Veronica Mars. I watched the final season on DVD. I think there were five discs in the set and I got to the end of the fourth one where Veronica’s dad gets in trouble for destroying evidence and Logan beat up the guy with mob ties, and I remember thinking “man I can’t wait to see the last two or three episodes, this is going to be awesome.” Then I popped in the fifth disc, saw it was all special features. I was like, “So that was the end? WTF.” And then a sense of anguish came over me that I would never find out what happened.

That annoyed me too back when it was shown on TV. I later read that there were plans to resolve the plot through a movie, but so far it seems the funding hasn’t materialized so who knows if that will ever happen.

I’d spoilerize the following, but there’s been no DVD release, actual or planned, and no network reruns the show, so anyhoo…
Remember that lady cop who seemed sympathetic to Zach’s plight? Turned out she was the ringleader of the escapees. Fox canceled it right after the ep. with the big reveal (which may or may not have been the season finale). :mad: :smack::frowning: I completely and utterly did not, and still do not to this day, grasp Fox’s rationale for putting these quirky shows on the air, typically on a Friday night when ratings will suck for their core demographic to begin with, expect much more from them ratings-wise, and then shit-can them when they don’t immediately find an audience. Why even green-light the show in the first place then? What’s the effin’ point if said show already has two strikes against it even before it premieres?

Nowhere Man
Twin Peaks
Sports Night

Those have been the most egregious to me.

The original V, the one creator Kenneth Johnson had anything to do with, ends with the resistance sending a signal into space to try to get help, knowing it might take decades.

Many of us were hoping that when we heard V was coming back, it would pick up there, 25 or so years later, with the Vs still running things, and help on the way.

I loved that show. Another quirky show I loved, Wonderfalls. We never found out why Jay was having inanimate objects talk to her and get her to help other people. It suffered both from being on opposite Joan of Arcadia (who had God talking to her through other people getting her to help people) and from being on Fox.

Huff on Showtime. Did Teddy kill his girlfriend? How’d Russell do with his baby and his terrible, terrible drug problem? Will Huff’s son go completely whacky? Will Huff’s wife take him back? Come ON!!!

And both of them by Bryan Fuller. I liked Wonderfalls, too. There was some crossover between Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies (and another Fuller show, Dead Like Me, too). Beth Grant reprised her Muffin Buffalo role (from WF) in an ep of PD, and Ned went undercover in an ep of PD as a temp from the Happy Time Temp Agency (from DLM).

Which is even more annoying for the fact that David Lynch did a Twin Peaks movie AFTER the series was cancelled, but chose to make it a prequel - and not answer that big lingering question. Can’t think of another show where they had the opportunity to finish up the series and answer questions after being cancelled, but then didn’t. Ugg. But that’s probably a reason the movie is panned by critics… nobody was happy with it - those looking for answers were disappointed, and those unfamiliar with the series were just confused.

Sports Night resolved itself quite well, I thought. The series certainly was cut off long before it ever should have been, but the second season came to a definitive end, with…

the network being purchased by Quo Vadimus.

Admittedly, it would have been nice to see how that plot might have panned out, but I find it ironically fitting that the show got cancelled after the symbolic events of the last three or four episodes.