Tell me about the Christian flag

A guy in my township flies one on his front lawn. I don’t know what denomination he is, but our area is quite heavily Calvinist (Christian/Dutch Reformed, or Orthodox Presbyterian).

I have seen it at some county fairs and I believe now and then at state fairs; it always struck me as much a rural thing as a Christian thing. Most major denominations, I believe, have their own flag in church (with the National Flag of course) more than this one. But as I’ve mostly been around mainstream Protestant and Catholic churches my experience could well be wrong.

PS – rural county fairs also seem to still be big about organized prayers and references to God FWIW.

Kind of you to say! :o

I assume that “them” is the ELCA of the Missouri Synod, depending on which who is saying it.

Or them, though with the ELCA it’s a clarification, “No, really! The head of our church is in Park Ridge, Illinois!”

I never knew there WAS a Christian flag before reading this thread, and one of my hobbies is attending religious services.

Although, to be honest, that’s such a bland design that I might have just taken it for one of the crosses in the room, and not as a special thing unto itself if I ever saw it.

Hint: WWII.

Nazis

I find the canton hard to see, but it may be the specific red and blue in the wiki article; I think they’re both too dark. Other red and blue combinations aren’t anywhere near as bad (see: multiple Spanish football uniforms).

Never heard of it. I’d be horrified if I were at an event where it was presented alongside the US flag.

Many variations I see have a darker blue and a brighter red. I also note the flag pin version seems to universally use the gold fringe version of the flag with an additional gold fringe around the red cross. Example 1, ex 2, ex 3

And it was difficult to find ones without the American flag like in the first example.

I dunno, some of them look to be just as dark. Barça, for instance, has just as dark stripes on their home strip. Thing is, you can get away with that for stripes, or other basic field divisions. Where colour on colour falls down is with charges (like a cross or a star or other symbol) - they get indistinguishable from any distance. Look at the Wiki page, at the flag flying outside, or the one next to the pulpit. That red blob could be anything. That’s why the guideline for heraldry is colour on metal , metal on colour, not like on like. Contrast is key.

Fimbriation that isn’t in the actual flag description is cheating…

Barça’s uniform has long been considered an example of “hard to see” (I’m old enough to remember the grumblings about it being difficult to tell them apart from the black-clad refs on B/W TVs); I was thinking more along the lines of Mallorca, Osasuna, Villareal or La Roja when La Roja hasn’t done anything weird. No need to search: they’re all the same, tomato shirt and navy-or-a-bit-lighter pants.

That’s not the same as having a design in red on a blue background. That’s much more like what I said about simple field divisions. Note that the numbers etc are usually yellow or white.

And I though Villarreal was quite famous for its colour, and it’s not red+blue. They’re known as the glow-in-the-dark team even here (la Liga is quite popular here, but usually only the top clubs like Barça and the 2 Madrids).

Only thing I don’t like about the Episcopalian flag is the white crosses forming the saltire on the canton. Makes it look too busy. And the saltire should run all the way to the edges of the blue.

Otherwise, it’s a pretty good design - large enough to be identifiable at a distance, and evoking Anglicanism’s British roots, without looking too explicitly like the English flag.

Technically it’s still in Chicago. West Higgins Road, which separates Chicago from Park Ridge is just north of ELCA HQ.

Christian rap is off the hook.

That’s the flag of Vatican City (or, more accurately, I suppose, of the Holy See), an actual nation governed by the Pope, who is its absolute monarch. It’s not the flag of the Catholic Church (although admittedly there are some blurry lines there).

It’s not nearly as much of a big deal as it sounds – being monarch of a few square blocks in the middle of Rome isn’t that impressive.

Bumped.

The Christian flag is in the news in a SCOTUS case:

The Boston case was just a free speech issue. Unanimous SCOTUS decision against the city. Why did they even pursue it?