Tell me about the Christian flag

Speaking of, let me introduce you to the state flag of Illinois. :stuck_out_tongue:

Illinois’s flag isn’t uniquely bad among U.S. states. In fact, it’s bad in a rather average way; many other state flags similarly follow the “throw the state seal and the name on a solid color and call it a day” anti-pattern. Where you find the truly terrible is in municipal flags, such as the now-retired design of the flag of Pocatello, ID or the still-current design of the flag of Milwaukee.

I grew up going to church in NC. Never seen the flag before or heard of a “Christian flag”.

If I saw someone bearing that flag, I would assume they were celebrating their heritage from some obscure European nation. Malta? Monaco? Etc.

Nope, not if you believe in the Trinity. There’s three but they are one godhead so to speak.

The “Christian flag” is one of those things that certain groups of Christians really care a lot about, other groups actively avoid, other groups passively avoid, and other groups kind of shrug at.
So, like many things.

My guess is that there’s a huge overlap of people who care a lot about it and people who go to Texas rodeos.
At secular, public events outside of the Bible belt (and possibly the Rust belt), I’m guessing you’re not likely to see one.

Thank you for this. I’ve never before known of the county flags of Liberia. My day is better now that I do.
(That said, I live in Seattle - where this happened so I can’t really talk)

Rodeos tend to have a lot of nondenominational Christian and patriotic trappings evenly mixed and in many ways indistinguishable. Generally every day starts out with the Star Spangled Banner and the Pledge of Allegiance over the loudspeakers like a call to prayer, and everyone within earshot stops what they are doing no matter where they are. Prayers and references to God are casual, sincere, and universal. It’s very common for saddle decor and western bling to feature crosses.

It’s rural western culture. .

Playing the National Anthem is a standard feature at sporting events in America. It’s not something westerners invented.

I didn’t even know there was a “Christian flag” until now. I am not shocked to learn it’s an American invention. :smiley:

Accordingly to Wiki, the dimensions of the canton are not fixed.

I thought that the symbol of the predominant religion in Texas was a goal post?

And how the heck is the daughter carrying two different flags in the parade?

A deliberate competitor to this flag?

I always thought that flag was a Lutheran thing. Never saw it in any other church.

(The Wikipedia article mentions it was widely used in Lutheran churches during WWII as a “We’re not like them.” thing. So maybe it continued to be used by Lutherans more than others.)

I encountered it in Baptist churches.

That’s worse.

I’ve only encountered it in a church, never in the wild. I always took it as a way they could have an American flag while not saying they worshiped America.

On the Fourth of July, we’d pledge to both flags. Though Christian flag pledge was different than the one in this thread. We had the third one linked in the Wiki article (which is the first one but with one change): “I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Saviour for whose kingdom it stands; one brotherhood, uniting all Christians in service and in love.”

I don’t remember the canton being square, but being the same size and position of the American flag. I presumed that was by design. I also presumed the same for the color choices, being red, white, and blue.

I think it fits the main requirements: a child can draw it, and it looks distinctive even at a 1-inch size. They wanted the symbolism of a pure white flag, but they also wanted Christian imagery on it. A canton allows them to do both.

I’ve seen the Christian flag a few times over the years, most dustily standing near the altars of Protestant churches in the Midwest. When I was a Boy Scout in the Eighties we once, during worship services, had a preacher build a sermon around an explanation of the flag’s symbolisn.

Like dalej42, I’m an Episcopalian (the American offshoot of the Church of England), and I like our flag: Episcopal Church (United States) - Wikipedia. (I’ve also often seen examples, one of which I own, proportioned more like the US flag). My church has one paired with the US flag in a small side chapel dedicated to those from our parish who died during World War II. Both flags are used in the processional and recessional for the services closest to Independence Day, Veterans Day and Memorial Day.

For those who were wondering: Counties of Liberia - Wikipedia

“The sun is ris, the sun is set, and we is still in Texas yet!”

I’ve seen that in many Catholic churches in the US. I’ve also seen synagogues and Jewish community centers which display both the US and Israeli flags.

Huh, I always thought the flag from the op was the flag of the Southern Baptist Church/Convention/whatever it is they call it. Thats the only place I’ve ever seen that flag, in churches affiliated with yhe Southern Baptist Whatever

There are harnesses that go over your shoulders and have the front straps join in a “V” at belt level, with a holster to hold the flag staff. You insert the staff in the holster and walk, with your hands in the staff, which is usually about 4-5 feet tall.

Most of them are designed to hold just one staff, but I’ve seen them with a double holster, for two flagstaffs, angled so the one staff goes left and one goes right. The flag bearer holds one staff in each hand.

:confused:

Whaaat?

If you listen to Red Skelton, he makes it clear that you CANNOT pledge allegiance to two different entities; to attempt it effectively invalidates BOTH pledges, AND renders one’s allegiance without value.

And to think, I grew up supposing that attending private school conferred intellectual advantages as a matter of course.

ETA: Please understand that I do not intend to impugn Dung Beetle’s intellect. From reading her posts through the years, I am convinced that whatever DISadvantages her Christian school saddled her with, she has transcended them.

Some of those do have a certain goofy charm, as if at some point Liberia had a nationwide “Design your county’s flag!*” contest for Liberian kindergarten students. (What is up with the two trees that are floating in mid-air in the flag of River Gee County?)
*In accordance with Clause 2, Paragraph 3, Section vi, of Article XXIII of the Constitution of Liberia, all county flags must include a weirdly-proportioned representation of the national flag in the upper left corner of each county flag.

Also, I could totally see Bong County making a lot of money off of tourism some day. (Even short of people actually traveling to the interior of Liberia, Bong County could probably contribute substantially to the Liberian balance of trade by selling t-shirts and other branded merchandise over the Internet.)