Tell me about your bed

Mine is full sized. Got a good Sealy, one down from the best they had, five years ago. Then put a two-inch memory foam over it, and then a quilted cover, so I can wash it when I change the sheets. Then the 1000 count cream colored sheets, and pillow cases, and a plain cotton blanket. (Brown) I also have three different cotton quilted comforters, which mostly, I don’t use. There are two standard pillows, of which one generally gets thrown on the floor during the night.

I have a second pair of sheets, in dark red, only 600 count, which I use if I don’t feel like waiting for the cream colored ones to get through the laundry (Which is four loads for all the bed clothes, plus drying, and who has that kind of time?)

One of the quilts hangs over the window, to block out the light, most of the time. (I sleep until noon, and the sun shines directly into the window shortly after sunup, so I have major black out stuff in place, and still need the quilt to catch the last of it.) The other is on a chair, near the bed, and mostly stays there, often with clean laundry thrown in a pile over it. (sometimes vice versa)

I have a Futon in the living room, and a full set of the same quality sheets, and blankets, and comforter for it, in the drawers beneath the frame. No memory foam, though it has a 1 inch foam top built in, and folds out into a full size bed. Very comfortable, considering. No black out stuff, though, and it gets very light in there come dawn.

Tris

I find the details of other people’s beds deeply interesting. Am I alone in this?
Anyway. I divorced my pillow-top mattress, down comforter, and 1000-thread count sheets. My folks gave me my current bed – a queen-size with an ugly metal frame and casters – that has no head- or foot-board; it’s like the life-flight helicopter’s launching pad in the middle of my bedroom. (But it does have a nice firm mattress; I would rather sleep on the floor than cripple myself with one of those really soft ones.) My parents also gave me my sheets: white cotton, not terribly luxurious, but not too bad, either. Someday, I’ll be able to afford to up my thread count!

I splurged a bit on the bedding - a nice nubbly soft comforter, in very pretty colors, with a matching skirt to hide the ugly frame and (shudder) casters. And I got silky pillows and nice curtains to match.

So what I’m saying is, it’s not that great, but it is not too bad, and rather pretty besides.

Queen size bed here, used by two adult people and one cat.

I aim for thread counts of at least 300, 400 is better. I had a set of 600 that I loved, but it showed the wear from the cat much more quickly, so I decided it wasn’t worth it in the future. Maybe I just had a bum set, who knows?

I picked one color for sheets – wedgewood blue – and seek out sets that I can mix-and-match if need be. So we have one blue solid set, one blue pinstripe, and one pattern with a blue fleur de lis print. We do the same for the guest room, only that color is green. It makes it easier for some persons in the household to change the sheets when it is clear that blue always goes in our room and green in the guest room.

We store things under the bed, so a bedskirt is a must for me. Ours is cream-colored and very plain, it hangs straight with a tucked pleat at the corners. Mr. Del does not care for the kind that is more ruffly.

I am the kind who prefers several blankets of various weights so that I can add or take away to get an exact match for the temperature, rather than one very thick comforter. Blankets are an assortment of cream and blue. The spread has a subtle blue-on-blue paisley design. Mr. Del swears it is solid blue.

We just got a new mattress pad, and I love it – it’s very fluffy. You wouldn’t think it would make that much of a difference, but it does.

The best decision I ever made regarding the bed was to get a king-size quilt for our queen size bed. This makes for enough extra quilt so that two people who tend to hog the blankets get a decent amount of quilt on very cold nights.

I’m quite proud of my bed: it’s an antique solid wood spindle bedstead that I think was made by someone in my family; my dad made me promise not to part with it. Anyway, it’s a double bed. I just moved, and I took the opportunity to equip myself with a new mattress (didn’t replace the box spring), a Sultan Hasselbäck from IKEA. It’s ludicrously thick (the princess and the pea come to mind) and seems to be working well; I prefer a firm mattress.

I have a plain red fitted sheet and two pillow cases, and a quilt cover and two more pillow cases (also from IKEA) in red with a darker vines and leaves pattern which I quite like. They match the curtains too!

The addition of two bedside tables (and the removal of the old mattress, which I was keeping around as a hedge) will complete the bedroom set.

I bought Hamish a new bed for his birthday, also from IKEA. It’s called Noresund, a metal bed of a sort he’s coveted since childhood. As for the mattress, I may have had to go out to Boucherville to get it, but he got their most expensive combined mattress and box spring (Sultan Svandal), and I got a 75% discount ($125!!)

Eh. Neither of my beds are that impressive. At home, it’s a futon that’s home to a few comforters and constantly in bed mode. At college, it’s a standard-issue dorm bed. Extra Long Twin, but surprisingly comfortable.

My girl’s bed, on the other hand, is amazing. It’s a queen-sized, I believe, and I swear the thing is like sleeping on a cloud. A cloud, stuffed with pillows, that are themselves stuffed with even softer clouds.

We have a queen-sized cherry wood sleigh bed. Beautiful carved head board.

Individually tied coils in the mattress so that it doesn’t transfer motion. Feather bed topper, down comforter with duvet, big fluffy feather pillows. Egyptian cotton sheets.

I have some nice silk brocade curtains in the bedroom to keep out unwanted light, a ceiling fan (even though we have a/c…gotta keep the air moving), and an alpaca rug that you sink ankle deep into when you walk across it.

ahhhhhhhh…

(oh yeah…and two kitties available for snuggling)

My bed is lonely.

I sleep on a purple floormat with some sheets and blankets I got from the thrift store. The whole setup cost me around $25.

Current Bed
The bed Mr. Stuff and I share is the one I had before we married. It is a queen pillowtop, with white and blue flowered cheap-ish sheets and a hideous bed-in-a-bag set which nevertheless serves the purpose.

This bed is too small for us. Yes, we are both horrid bed hogs. It’s not pretty. This bed was perfect for me by myself, and I had lovely white sheets and a gorgeous comforter for it. Both have sadly worn out, and been replaced with wedding gifts from relatives with much love, but no taste, and no gift receipts. Bless their hearts. We are sleeping in this bed only because we live in an old house, and we can’t get anything larger up the stairs.

The Bed We Will Have
When we move into our new house, which is currently in the framing process, we will have a king sized bed. It will be somewhat firmer than the pillowtop, because Mr. Stuff sleeps better on a firmer bed, and I don’t care. We will have high-quality white sheets (I buy sheets by feel AND thread count, not just thread count). Anything but pure white sheets just seems wrong to me. I know it’s weird, but there you have it.

We will have a comforter and a couple of pretty pillows, but not a dust ruffle. The one we have now is a pain in the patoot, and I don’t like the look all that much. I’ll tell you what I want to do: buy a decent quality fitted sheet in a color complimentary to the comforter, and put it over the box springs. I saw a picture of it in a magazine, and it looked awesome. Very nice and clean looking, but not frilly. I’m not a frilly person, and I shouldn’t have to sleep in a frilly bed. If I do break down and sew a dust ruffle, it will be the kind with pleats in the middle and sharp corners, not the kind with gathered ruffles.

My bed is about 150 years old. Belonged to my Great Aunt Margaret. Weird size. Sort of halfway between a twin and a full size bed. Has a custom mattress, which sags and is a mess. Splintered wooden slats on the bottom hold the mattress up. Collapses frequently. Mahogany. Curlicues and carvings and stuff. People died in my bed. Cool. Big enough for my boyfriend and me, but not at the same time. We switch off: I sleep on the floor one night, he sleeps on the bed, and so on. I love that bed and don’t want to get rid of it. Thinking of buying a bigger bed, but can’t bring myself to part with Aunt Margagret’s bed. Thinking of moving to a two bedroom apartment so I can put Aunt Margaret’s bed in the guest room, but I’m too lazy to move. Life is stressful.

Queen sized, purchased 5 years ago when my husband and I moved in together. We spent about a month sharing a TWIN mattress - so we splurged a little on the Queen instead of a double. It’s perfect for the two of us (well, three…the cat sleeps next to me on the edge of the bed, so technically, I’m in the middle!)

We have a cheap 94$ Bed-in-a-bag set from Zeller’s bought in a 30 minute shopping rush the day the bed was delivered. It was a decent pattern on the comforter, and the sheets and pillow cases are neutral (the decorative shams and the bedskirt are the same as the comforter) but after all these years, it’s getting VERY faded, and the sheets are quite thin. We have a second set of t-shirt sheets which we switch out for laundry, but they are actually too warm, so the original sheets go back on as soon as they’re clean.

We are moving to a new apartment, in a new city, and as soon as the budget allows it, we are getting a new set of bedding! I saw a great set at Simon’s a year ago in Montreal - I’m going to have to check out the price!

We actually have a lot of plans for the new place… this will be an expensive year!

King sized. Four-poster. Made of red oak from a 117 year old tree that blew over in a storm. The headboard and footboard have matching elliptical curves and are perfectly tenoned into the tapered posts. The posts are 4" square at the bottom and they gracefully taper to a 1" top at a height of six feet. Finished with a clear tung-oil mixture that still looks new after 7 years.

Yes, I made it myself. Thank you for the opportunity to brag a little.