Tell me more about English beer

I love beer, but my experience is somewhat limited beyond what’s universally available in the US – a handful of local and regional craft brewers (Great Lakes Brewing is one of my favorites) and some German and Belgian imports (Weihenstephaner and Duvel are two of my import favorites, along with some monastery beers I tried but can’t recall the name) are pretty much the extent of it. Generally, I prefer light-to-medium color beers that aren’t too hoppy (IPA’s aren’t my favorite most of the time). Today I tried Fuller’s London Pride, and I loved it. It’s listed as a “bitter”, but I didn’t find it particularly bitter.

Is London Pride typical of English beers? Are there others of the same or similar style I should try (that I’ll be able to find in the US)? What other English styles and brewers should I try?

“England has the worst beer in the world; nasty, warm, sticky stuff with various forms of pond life in it…” John Cleese from 1982 commercial.

Campaign for Real Ale. https://camra.org.uk/ Kind of the granddaddy of them all, when it comes to consumer advocacy of artisan beer and ale. Anyway, their site is a wealth of information on UK beer.

Re, Fuller’s, I love their Porter, and their Extra Special Bitter is the standard bearer for the variety. I’d call London Pride more of a Pale Ale than an IPA. It may be my palate is hardened by things like Stone IPAs and Heady Topper.

The UK is more a location than style. Several unique styles there, include Newcastle Brown Ale, Greene King’s Olde Suffolk, and Thomas Hardy’s Ale.

EDIT: As for, if you like X, try Y; I’d recommend Coniston Brewing Company Bluebird Bitter, Greene King IPA, Young’s Special, and their Chocolate Stout for a treat.

Like anyplace else, England has some great beers and some utter shite. IMO the single best beer produced in the land is Bishops Finger Kentish Ale. It has been, alas, unavailable in these parts in the lifetime of my students. Also IMO the single worst beer produced in England is the best known - Newcastle. Vile shite, it is. Obviously what Cleese was thinking of in the commercial.

Other good choices are anything brewed by Samuel Smith’s.

He was wrong then, he is wrong now.

Your issue is trying to get your hands on beers that will store and transport well - so that will limit what could be available. As a start I would look toward IPAs because they owe their existance to storage and shipping for many months.

As for London Pride - I like it but many around me do not - but sometimes I think that’s more because of the name rather than the beer itself. Taste in beer is not rational or neutral and people often bring their own personal prejudices with them - where I live there is something of a regional bias against anything ‘London’ based upon the perceived notion that Londoners think they are ‘all that’.
I personally find London Pride is quite a scented aromatic beer and there is nothing wrong with that, nothing wrong at all but not many UK beers are similar.

I would expect that you would be looking toward lighter beers instead of heavier ales.

Take a look at Wadworths beers - Henry’s or Swordfish - their 6x and 6x Gold are very nice to me but I don’t know how well they travel they are heavy ales and will lay you out before you realise it has happened.

St Austell beers - well worth a visit you may find some of their IPAs a little bit hoppy - moreso than London Pride. Try out the Tribute or Proper Job or Big Job or Cardinal Syn

You could also try out Sam Smiths beers - only a dozenish miles from me, a bit of an idiosyncratic ownership if you care to look up the current owner Humphrey Smith, but despite that you might try out their IPA and their Pale Ale - I have always preferred their brown ales over other brown ales.

https://www.samuelsmithsbrewery.co.uk/bottles/

The caveat as for all of these is how well they travel - everything I have mentioned does seem to travel well and seem to fit in with being fairly light. If it is possible that the heavy ales will travel then knock yourself out, there are some real fine ales amongst all those - personally I never go for the fruit flavoured nonsense and I don’t go for much outside of traditional stuff, after all they have been at it for a few hundred years and you’d have to assume they know what they are doing.

All of these are relatively small indendent brewers.

As you may know, that’s as dated a cliche as the idea that British food is (necessarily) shite; before the pub apocalypse recently, I could sup beer from any number of great micro-breweries from bars in walking distance. And I’d second the mention of St Austell and Sam Smiths above, too.

I love porters and am still a fan of Bass Ale and English Ales in general.

Samuel Smith’s is very good stuff and Fuller’s Porter is divine.

BTW: Newcastle in the US is no longer Newcastle, it is now some crappy Lagunitas brew or something. So you might like it now @silenus.

Yes, I enjoyed a Newcastle on a hot day. Sue me. :slight_smile:

Or anywhere else. Evidently they lost their US importer and haven’t picked up another one. I haven’t seen it even in my usual spot for oddball world ales, where I’ve found things like Coniston, Kelpie, Eisenbahn, Zum Uerige Alt, and the Tom Hardy’s I mentioned. If I ever find any, I’ll send you some.

To hell with the BATFE.

Sam Smith’s stouts are quite tasty, if, IMHO, not up to those of Young’s. Another branch of the UK the OP should look at are Scotland and the surrounding islands. Traquair House is awesome. So is Orkney Brewery’s Skullsplitter.

In fact, OP, go grab one of Michael Jackson’s (RIP) Beer Guides/Companions. Jesus, has it been 13 years since his passing already? Sigh.

I did actually prefer the new Lagunitas version of Newcastle to the old one (I was able to buy it from a store that actually had both in stock, as it was during the turnover period, so I was able to try them side by side.) That said, I didn’t like Newcastle to begin with (and I’ve had it in England, though not in Newcastle itself.)

England is actually where I learned my love of beer, back in the mid-90s. We had a craft beer scene flaring up at that time here in the US, but it’s not like it is now. I enjoyed Pete’s Wicked beers (no longer around) and Sam Adams, but otherwise, my experience in beer in the US were rather pedestrian at the time. Now, in the UK I had a lot of middle-of-the-road beers there, but their middle-of-the-road was right up my alley, flavorwise. They were a completely different style of beer – mostly ales (though there at the time the import lagers were quite popular with the young folks.) I liked every beer I had there, minus maybe the Newcastle. (It turns out Brown Ales are just not a style I like.)

Here in the US, I would start with any of the Samuel Smith offerings mentioned. Also Old Speckled Hen.

Glad to see mentions of Bishop’s Finger and Thomas Hardy’s Ale. Both are fantastic.

Samuel Smith’s has been mentioned several times in this thread. Their Oatmeal Stout seems to travel just fine to the U.S. I am anxious to try their Imperial Stout, as well.

Two more great brews I’ll ask the house about: Are Old Nick barley wine and Watney’s Cream Stout still around? I believe the latter has been out of production for some time, but was hoping maybe another brewery picked it up.

I always liked Boddingtons and Strongbow.

Aye, Cleese the great traitor; it was him and his mates that helped kill Watney’s Red Barrel with all that sniggering, now you can’t get it no more, not even on holiday! A grand shame, but there’s plenty of good British product you might try: you got Right Proper Shite if you like your ale on the gassy side, also Umber Number from one of the “small indecent brewers” mentioned above (but please, don’t drink and type). Another good bet is Caveat Brewery’s Traditional Stuff; they’ve been “going at it” for generations and that ought to count for something, what it is I cannot say. You won’t forget your first mouthful of Semen’s Wad, humpy rather than hoppy, nor should you pass up a Bad Job, nor a Bad Ass if you can put your hand on one. Cleese, nothing!

Actually, what you need to do is try a hot Newcastle on a cold day.

As an American, I can echo the Samuel Smith mention, and there’s nothing wrong with Old Speckled Hen, for sure.

But part of me kind of thinks that Samuel Smith might benefit from beer styles that travel really well (seriously, it seems hard to do that). If so, I applaud their ingenuity. I know I can buy their beers without fearing a bad bottle.

People in the US might be more aware of Newcastle Brown, it only appears in bottles in the UK, but I have seen it regularly on draught in the US, along with another beer rarely seen so much in the UK: Bass. It is, however, horrible from a bottle. I never touched it when in the US.

Well, for a start Real Ale is not chilled. Like red wine, you don’t chill something you want to taste. Though the term “warm” which it has been called is not really true. It should be cellar temperature, so certainly not warm but sometimes that’s a struggle on a very warm day in England, so sometimes on such days a chilled beer is more in order. Also they are not gassed like lager. So flat.

In the US there tends to be four main types of craft beer: sour, IPA, Stout and Red? (This might not be completely right, I’m struggling with Red vs Golden vs maybe another I don’t drink). All tend to be chilled. Most tend to be gassed, though not sure of stout typically.

Bitter is a generic term in the UK and has no meaning really when applied to beer apart from it being an Ale, it’s like Bitter or Lager, and Bitter would be your typical pubs brewery’s standard beer, ie: London Pride in a Fullers pub.

We tend to not do sours much in the UK. That’s more a Belgian or German thing. Red beer is more on an Irish thing too, rarely see anything called that here.

However, there’s been small scale local breweries brewing something like Real ale for centuries all across England, though a lot have been bought up by the large scale breweries. They do a standard bitter, then often a special beer (stronger) and often a mild (I never was a fan but it doesn’t tend to mean weaker). Stout has been a speciality of some, but some just don’t do it. Traditionally some have done relatively strong beers, 5-6% but the brewing process wasn’t great and they often tasted quite treacly or other taste which needed acquired. Belgian beers seems to have brought better techniques and you tend to get stronger beers which taste more normal nowadays. Thus the variety is wide and differs according to regions. In the south you might get a pint which is filled to the top and have a foamy head which disappears fast to look flat, in the north you might get a creamier pint with a foam head on like lager.

Most of the time their ABV will be listed too. This seems different to the US where they don’t seem to list ABV. US craft ale also tends to be stronger. UK ale will go from 3.5% to 5.5% without comment. I’ve struggled to find less than 7% craft beer in the US.

You even get some craft lager about the UK too, but British lager in itself is pretty horrible, massively overgassed compared to anywhere else. Avoid. Not so bad when you have a craft one. Some pubs insist on having a LOT of lagers, I’ve seen some with nine different taps which seem to be largely the same tasting beer, so clearly lager drinkers care more about the labelling of themselves than the taste largely. They also tend to be “extra cold” as a marketing item. Yet, you’ll struggle to find a single one which isn’t extra cold, just adding to the ludicrousness. Guiness has went that way too, but of the friends who drink it, I regularly get the normal and the extra cold randomly and they never mention any difference.

I remember Bishop’s Finger! It was one of my favorites back in the day. I was happy to see the rise of American craft breweries in the 90s, but an unforeseen side effect of that was the crowding out of many foreign beers in the beer stores.

I’ll add to the recommendations of Samuel Smith beers. If you can find it, Samuel Smith Winter Welcome Ale is a very tasty seasonal.

For the best British beer experience outside of Britain look for bottle conditioned beers. These will be bottled with a bit of live yeast so will be the closest thing to cask you can get. One I can think of off the top of my head is Fullers 1845.

Another favorite I used to end my sessions with is Mackeson Milk Stout. Not something I’d want to drink all night, but a great evening ender.