Tell me some interesting trivia that no one else knows at the SDMB

This may be more well known than I think, but years ago I heard that the pitcher with the best winning percentage against the Yankees (minimum 20 decisions) was… Babe Ruth. I believe this is still true though Roy Halladay has recently come close.

If a human’s eyeballs were the same size in proportion to their faces as a cat’s, our eyeballs would be the size of softballs.

How cool is that? :slight_smile:

It’s not often that a Wikipedia article brings tears to my eyes.

To be fair, in Punchline Field was a kind of doing the cougar thing and was supposed to be somewhat older than Hanks. In Forrest Gump, she was costumed to be a lot older than she really was. She is, in reality, ten years older than he is.

We had a thread devoted to finding people (celebrities mostly) who came close to that distinction. The title was something like “Anne Hathaway’s Eyes.” (I’ll try to find a link to it before the edit window gets me.)

Anne Hathaway’s Eyes
03-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Zeldar
03-22-2009 10:40 PM
by Oslo Ostragoth
113 8,445
Cafe Society

In a similar vein, the odds of the pope being eaten by a bear are very low, but if one does, we can say a bear does shit pope in the woods.

Western Australia officially forms a single time zone that is 1.5 hours behind the neighbouring state of South Australia. However, the sparsely populated south-eastern corner of WA operates in accordance with an unofficial time zone that is 45 minutes different from the rest of the state, and only 45 minutes different from the time over the border in SA.

The existence of this de facto time zone is something you’re unlikely to ever find out about unless you happen to drive along the trans-desert Eyre Highway.

Old Faithful does not produce the tallest column of water of any geyser in Yellowstone National Park. Not even close. That title goes to Steamboat, which can produce a column up to 300 feet high, vs. 100-150 feet for Old Faithful. The problem with Steamboat it that it’s only had a major eruption four times in recorded history, so you probably shouldn’t plan your vacation around it.

The main way of tying an obi is called taiko, which means drum (that’s not the trivia). It does look like a squashed drum, but it wasn’t named after the instrument. It was named after a bridge, specifically the drum bridge (taiko-bashi) at Tenjin Shrine, after that way of tying was created by geisha for the opening of the bridge. These days if a woman knows how wear proper kimono, that may be the only way she knows of tying her obi.

Probably only interesting to me.

I was startled to read that she is my age and now lives in the town next to the one I grew up in.

Watching Ken Burns’ documentary on Mark Twain tonight, I learned that he sponsored Warner T. McGuinn to Yale Law School, one of the first blacks to ever attend. McGuinn went on to mentor Thurgood Marshall.

So you’re, uh, underestimating him?

In a race at Santa Anita in April 2003, a horse named Stratus finished second, as well as seventh. How can this be?

There were two horses in the race with the same name - both were foreign-bred, so the American Jockey Club rule forbidding horses with the same name being registered at the same time did not apply.

I don’t know how well known or not this is, but I found it interesting to read recently that Yamamoto studied at Harvard.

Ronald Reagan had Alzheimer’s symptoms long before he left office. On the day that the Contra funding first went up to vote, he was heard to ask Admiral Poindexter “Contras? What’s that about?” with his shaking in sincere concern.

According to Baseball-reference.com, there are only two known games where Babe pitched against the Yankees, so he doesn’t quite meet the 20 game minimum. There isn’t game data available for most of his pitching career (anything before 1919), so he very well might have met it.

Dutch people, on average, are the tallest people of any country.

Curly fur is one of the few dominant genes in rats. :slight_smile:

Martha’s Vineyard was once considering seceding from Massachusetts. It could have become a US territory, or the 51st state, or it could have become part of one of two other states, Vermont and Hawaii.

Weird, if that guy gets lego-ized three times, I wonder why John “Sallah and Gimli” Rhys-Davies doesn’t get at least get two. Mostly I’m bitter because he was my guess.

OK, here’s mine: In “Raiders of the Lost Ark”, Sallah sings snatches of two songs from the same opera.

Gilbert and Sullivan’s “HMS Pinafore”. The songs are, “I’m am the ruler of the sea …”, and “A British tar is a soaring soul …”