Tell me some interesting trivia that no one else knows at the SDMB

But wait! Hawaii? Long commute, or what?

My favorite: a gallon of gasoline contains more hydrogen than a gallon of liquid hydrogen.

That’s what really surprised me. If things had gone a little differently, I’d be in Hawaii in four weeks. Wicked mahalo, dude!

Because Lego never made Lord of the Rings sets.

Really?

This is not trivia, but something I find very surprising. Boston is small. Manhattan is huge. But actually, Manhattan is only about 20 square miles. Boston “has a total area of 89.6 square miles (232.1 km²)—48.4 square miles (125.4 km²) (54.0%) of land and 41.2 square miles (106.7 km²) (46.0%) of water.”

Has to be the surf connection, right? Can’t be all the pineapple on MV, can it? I can just hear it now: Nantucket Hula

I’m crying silently at work right now.

:smiley:

But Nantucket and MV are not the same place.

Apparently the reason for the secession was political representation. I’m guessing that Hawaii and Vermont wanted MV’s tax dollars. One interesting thing is that HI has no private beaches, by law. MV has plenty. I wonder if landowners would have had to open up their property to the public.

Too bad…I thought yesterday “If there was a trivia thread on the SDMB, I would post this”. Unfortunately, I forgot what it was :frowning: . We should have such thread from time to time, since I sometimes comes up with surprising factoids that however don’t deserve a thread of their own.

Anyway. Something I found surprising recently. An “average” country has only 4-5 millions citizens (in fact, it’s the median, half the countries have less people, half have more).

A favourite quizz question of mine. With which country France has the longest border?

Brazil, due to French Guiana which is part of France proper, being a “departement” rather than an oversea territory. In fact, there are a number of actual problems due to the obvious porosity of this border (drugs, illegal gold placer mining, crime…)

I don’t really buy this trivia. Lego didn’t immortalize Harrison Ford - they immortalized Han Solo and Indiana Jones. I know it’s kinda a semantics thing, but the figurine isn’t of Harrison Ford pretending to be Han Solo - the figurine IS Han Solo.

I’ve dressed up as Indiana Jones and Darth Vader for Halloween. Does that mean that Lego has immortalized me - twice?

Okay, but name me a Martha’s Vineyard song that would work as well as http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/m/mountain/nantucket_sleigh_ride.html for punning on things Hawaiian.

It should be phrased differently. But it is a fact that the Lego minifigures are based on the character from the movie. You would have to phrase it in this way maybe:
Which actor has portrayed three different movie characters that have been immortalized as Lego mini-figures?

Something many people know: the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) has a scale of 400 to 1600 (math and verbal combined). 400 is the worst possible score, and 1600 the best.

Kesha, the pop star of “TiK ToK” fame, scored a 1500.

It’s featured in Neal Stephenson’s Cryptonomicon, among many other interesting snippets – so there’s one sub set of geeks that know about it at least

Just seen this afternoon. A deer shitting in a ditch. They don’t shit like other herbivores, cows and horses, but they crouch backwards and strain for a straight drop like a dog. I’ll bet no one else here knows that.

Sorry, I don’t have a cite.

That is better. It also avoids the nit-pick that there are six different Indiana Jones figures and thirteen variations on Han Solo.

The four note ostinato build up to “Charge” you hear at baseball and hockey games was appropriated from TV by Yankees and Rangers organist Eddie Layton. It was originally part of the “The Mickey Mouse Club March.”

If actor Adrien Brody’s middle name were “Stahlhelm,” he’d be the trifecta of World War One helmet styles.

Andrew Lloyd Webber had had three wives, two daughters and three sons.

Julian Lloyd Webber has had five wives, one daughter and one son.

It doesn’t fix the problem that there is another actor who portrayed three characters that have lego figures though.

Warwick Davis played Wicket from Star Wars and Professor Flitwick and Griphook from Harry Potter.