Tell me, tell me, Alan Keyes... what, exactly, is the "slaveholder's position"?

Although I don’t agree with your judgement of it, you are still good to go! :cool:

for now…

:eek: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: :rolleyes: :smack:

:confused: :dubious: :rolleyes: :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I’ll bet it was the Republican Party of Illinois who asked him to run, not some vague group of “constituents,” which IMO makes him little more than a hired gun running wherever the Party needs him.

I have a Great Debate about this very subject here, if anyone is interested.

No we don’t. They exist, and they’re very vocal, but, compared to other states, there aren’t that many of them here; hence my previous post in this thread. I think the assumption that there are comes from coastal prejudices about the “flyover states”.

Oh yeah, the entire nation was enthralled by the vision of the mass rallies across Illinois begging the state party to draft this man of extraordinary vision and leadership. It led the political news every night for months.

The **constituents ** didn’t ask him, schmuck. A small coterie of state party insiders, not including the alibi’ing Hastert, did that after nobody else in the entire state could be talked or bribed into it. Or did “the constituents” ask Mike Ditka first?

Thanks for the laugh. Keep it up.

I do understand your point Maud Dib (slaves = not human, fetus = not human), but I really don’t see much of a difference between slavery and forcing a woman to carry a child to term and go through labor.

I’m not required to sacrifice my time and effort to keep other people alive, why should I be required to do it for a fetus? If I am the only bone marrow match for my child, there is no legal requirement to make me donate, I’m not required to give up a kidney for my sister. I’m not even required to pay taxes to a national health care system that would help keep people alive (unless you count the inadquate Medicare/Medicaid) - that would be too great a burden on me.

Pro-life will make a lot more sense to me when we have a national obligitory bone marrow registry and national health care.

(Daniel, does Keyes have any supporters? I thought even the right thought he was a nutcase).

Near as I can tell, Muad’Dib is one; earlier this week, I drove behind a van with a “Keyes for President 1996” bumpersticker, here in NC.

There’s nobody so nutty that he’s got no supporters.

As for abortion=slavery, I do agree: free the fetuses now! If they want back inot the womb, they’re welcome to go back into the womb; but it’s disgraceful to force them to remain there.

Oh, wait.
Daniel

I’m sorry if I came across as insulting (especially considering I live in an area that has a similarly unfairly earned reputation with outsiders).

Anyway, getting back on topic, Keyes will certainly make this race more interesting but, with his extreme views, he’s going to get stomped.

No problem. Re-reading my post, I see that I sounded more offended than I actually was. :slight_smile:

You still have the right, at least until the Super Duper Patriot Act gets passed.

Perhaps that joke wasn’t as clear as I expected it would be and the argument you’re proposing is off-topic for this thread, so I’ll let it go.