Tell me, tell me, Alan Keyes... what, exactly, is the "slaveholder's position"?

I envy your convictions. I feel it’s going to be looked back on as we look back on the civil rights movement… a contentious period for no good reason, fought against solely by people with outdated ideals and a skewed sense of morals.

Sorry, Manny. I’m not smart enough to start a thread about economical issues. I stick with these touchy-feely ones.

I hope so too. Because we’d have a real tough time figuring out who to attack.

Keyes is hilarious.

Even CNN was playing the clip of him talking about how horrid it was that Hillary was running as Senator in New York. It is destroying the federalist system!

Meanwhile, his Maryland ass is running for Senate in Illinois.

I was Ryan was still around - then he could be made fun of for being a jackass without the race card being played.

That, and he might have offered nude shots of his ex-wife as an incentive to vote for him…

-Joe, not that big a fan, but still…

What the hell is it about Illinois? First we get Lyndon Larouche, now Alan Keyes. Every politico dipshit seems to just flock here

The Daily Show ran a clip of Dennis Hastert saying he was “out of town” when Keyes was selected. Stewart’s comment was, "That’s a great sign for your campaign. Party leaders are establishing their alibis for your nomination. "
I think Keyes is one of those guys (like my old history professor) who gets nominated when the party decides they’re giving up on that race.

It’s a shame that Keyes is still shackled by the horse’s ass mentality.

Last night on the local Fox affiliate’s news commentator Walter Jacobson offered his “perspective” on the debate situation. He stated that in no uncertain terms Obama is worried about debating Keyes because it wouldn’t be as easy as it would have been to debate Ryan. Walter didn’t offer any evidence for this claim, just the fact that Obama doesn’t want to do the six debates he’d originally agreed to. Of course, the fact that it’s mid-August and Ryan kept the Pubs hanging for over a month before dropping out of the race officially might make it difficult to fit all six debates in now. Had Keyes even entered the race a month ago it would have been easier.

I’m not saying Jacobson is entirely wrong. Keyes is enough of a loudmouth and showboat that having an honest debate with him could be difficult, but at the same time I believe Obama would wipe the floor with Keyes on every issue. All Alan seems to have are emotional pleas and appeals to god. The guy’s just another bully. It’d be like debating O’Reilly for Pete’s sake (IMHO, of course).

This is exactly the problem when a talk show host terns politician. Tactics that work great for the former often fall flat for the latter. Keyes wants so desperately to be taken seriously, but it just doesn’t seem to be in the cards for him. I’d suggest he lighten up a bit and tone down the firebrand rhetoric. No one likes to be lectured to, and that’s pretty much all he does.

Yeah! I have to remind myself that some Illinois politicians are measured and diplomatic* because they usually sound like there is a baseline of corruption and a cap on intelligence to be a politician here. And while stupid crooks make for entertaining TV you really don’t want them in charge of your money or your state.

• Dick Durbin, of course, and Peter Fitzgerald seemed to realize the gravity of being a senator after taking office and grew into the job, much to my surprise.

Actually, I doubt that Keyes will do as well as Jack Ryan would have had he stayed in the race. Falwellian cultural jihadists generally don’t win statewide elections in Illinois; before the current governor, Democrat Rod Blagojevich, we had three consecutive pro-choice Republican governors (Jim Thompson, Jim Edgar and George Ryan [no relation to Jack]). When cultural conservative Al Salvi ran for the Senate in1996, he barely received 40% of the vote, even after toning down the rhetoric. Based on what I know about Keyes, I doubt he will compromise his message much. I suspect the GOP figured that at this point, any replacement candidate would just be a sacrificial lamb, so it was a good time to throw a bone to the religious right, who (I think) have been feeling ignored by the Republican Party here.

It’s not like you really have a choice, DZ. A choice like your fetus should have.

How does one determine what the fetus wants to do anyway?

Let me see if I have this right. Keyes is equating late term abortion to slavery because neither fetuses or slaves had/have rights. But, if abortions are made illegal than that means that women are losing rights, so does that make Keyes a supporter of the “slaveholders position”?

Got it. So, you feel that those near suicide should just be allowed to have their choice, right?

Right to die and all that, correct?

-Joe

Since I don’t live in Illinois, I don’t have a horse in this race but did anybody hear Keyes on Thursday’s Fresh Air? I knew Keyes was verrry conservative but he said a couple things during the interview that momentarily stunned me. First, on abortion, he said that they should be banned even in cases of rape and/or incest because the fetus shouldn’t have to pay for the sins of the parents. Then, on the topic of gay marriage, Keyes said it should be forbidden because unions of two people should only be sanctioned by law if they are done for procreative purposes only and a same-sex marriage could involve sex for just hedonistic reasons. Unfortunately, this latter statement came at the end of the program so the interviewer (not Terry Gross) didn’t follow up and ask Keyes whether that meant heterosexual marriages between couples who cannot biologically reproduce should also be banned since the sexual activity that would take place would only be for “hedonistic reasons.”

In any case, even though I realize Illinois has a sizeable contingent of rabid right-wing religious nuts (who mainly live outside of the Chicago area), I don’t see Keyes getting more than 40% of the vote if he’s is going to keep spouting such views.

Yes, just like how the slave owners lost their property rights. :rolleyes:

The point is that the “right” to an abortion does not exist.

Perhaps not, though the term “right” is often used synonymously with “freedom to take a particular action.” Which, of course, women do have with regard to abortion. You may not like it but it is legal.

My biggest problem with Keyes is that he comes off as a religious fanatic who, I’m afraid, would be prepared to put his interpretation of the bible ahead of state or federal law. Sort of like our old buddy Judge Roy Moore. His constant references to the Declaration as the basis of our law and country also suggest that he either doesn’t understand our government and history or just doesn’t care.

That was hilarious on the Daily Show. Him doing the* exact * same thing he criticized Hillary Clinton for. And he said that he would never do such a thing!

So, Keyes, were you lying then or are you lying now?

There is a difference in that Hillary went “shopping” for a state to run in. Keyes was asked by the constituents of Illinois to run.

What, did they send him a message via Western Union?

The PARTY asked him to run. And they don’t seem all that thrilled about it.

Regardless, he’s able to overcome that particular principle when he finds it convenient.

But do we still have the right to mock a politician for pulling a stupid rhetorical buttfuck? Oh, please oh please, let us still have THAT right!