Tell us an interesting random fact you stumbled across

Sedona, Arizona is the only place on the planet McDonalds uses teal instead of Golden Arches. The city wouldn’t let McDs open a restaurant in town unless they complied with the city’s “aesthetic.”

Just found this out yesterday.
We know Mons Olympus is the tallest mountain in the solar system. The thing is it’s very broad too. The slope is only about 5 degrees. That when combined with the curvature of Mars means you cannot see the summit from the base.

The McDonald’s in Mattituck, NY, also doesn’t conform to the official color scheme. It was required to be painted white and to look like a house.

Similarly with a McDonald’s in Freeport, Maine

Is yours the same as Denton House on Long Island?

Dogs enjoy eating pears. I’ve got a bunch that fell off the tree, and at first Teddy would play with it like a ball, but then all four started eating them. I looked out the other day and Hickory is standing up, trying to reach the low hanging ones.

I pick them for the Crew now. They will enjoy them more than me, I reckon.

No. It’s on the North Fork, in Mattituck.

Gerald/Jerry Casales from Devo was at the Kent State shootings. Two of the four killed were friends of his. This was the catalyst for Devolution.

The longest continuous international border in the world is not between Canada and the US. You have to exclude the Alaska-Canada segment (1,538 miles, 2,475 km), leaving the southern border of 3,987 miles/6,416 km.

The longest is the Russia/Kazakhstan border of 4,778 miles/7,644 km, followed by the Argentina-Chile border of 4182 miles/6,691 km.

I fed my dog some serviceberries (saskatoon berries) and she quickly learned to chew them off of low-hanging branches.

I give you The Battle of Castle Itter.

In the waning days of WW 2, a combined group of American soldiers, VIP French prisoners, including De Gaulle’s sister, and Wehrmacht soldiers who knew it was over and were trying to protect local civilians from Nazi reprisals, defended the castle where the French political prisoners where being held from the remnants of an SS unit that indended to put all the prisoners to death. This was 5 days after the death of Hitler.

Battle of Castle Itter - Wikipedia

Where’s the movie, Hollywood? :frowning:

~Max

Well, they’d probably screw it up, but you’ve got all the elements for a great story.

Wow. That’s too cool. And yes, would make a great movie.

… and then there’ was Operation Cowboy which ‘rescued’ the Lipizzaner horses of the Spanish Riding school in Vienna from both the Germans and Russians.

There seems to be a couple of versions of this story so the link above is to a ‘more formal’ piece describing German/US co-operation, but other accounts (example) describe Germans agreeing to serve/fight under US commanders.

As in the Castle Itter episode, the common enemy was the Waffen-SS.

And this one WAS made into a movie – by Disney, no less.

Of course, Disney wasn’t noted for their historical or technical accuracy – look at the lemming story, or the life of Tchaikovsky they did on their 1950s TV show. (Although they did a decent job on the Man in Space series)

Baseball - on August 10, 1944, “Red” Barrett of the Boston Braves needed only 58 pitches to beat the Cincinnati Reds 2-0 in 1 hour and 15 minutes. (the average today is 146 pitches)

He faced 29 batters, allowing two hits, no walks, and had no strikeouts.

No MLB pitcher has pitched a 9-inning, complete game, with less than 80 pitches since 2008.

Probably because he was a semi-crappy pitcher with an excellent set of fielders to back him up. Lots of ground balls.

Man, that’s impressive.

Not sure what’s wrong with that, if it’s true. It’s still very impressive IMO—he had his mojo working, they couldn’t overcome it, and he triumphed. Wikipedia says:

Win–loss record 69–69
Earned run average 3.53
Strikeouts 333

Good enough to keep a pro athlete job for 11 years. Also says Wikipedia:

In 1945, he led the Cardinals to second place in the National League, posting a team best 21 wins and 9 losses.[3]

While we’re talking baseball, how about those Oakland (previously KC, Philadelphia)? What’s with the elephant?

In 1902 New York Giants Manager John McGraw dismissed the A’s with contempt, by calling them “The White Elephants.” He meant to imply that Mack shouldn’t be allowed to spend money without supervision . Connie Mack took up the gauntlet and defiantly adopted the White Elephant as the team insignia.

Source

Are Oakland baseball fans Athletics supporters? :slight_smile:

ok, now i know how frasier crane feels !

(i haven’t got a clue what you are talking about !)