Temporary Driver's License

I think so, too.

I expect such machines cost a few thousand dollars each, so that’s a few hundred thousand for each office to have one. Watching the machine in action, it would be very surprising to hear that it takes more than an hour to learn how to operate it (it looks to be driven by PC software that collects the digital photo and driver’s info, which the operator would need to learn in any case). Supplies (e.g. lots of different forms) must be shipped to each office in any case; the extra cost of shipping the supplies for this machine is unlikely to exceed $50/week.

If Pennsylvania (my state) produces 1 million licenses a year (it’s probably a bit more) and if it costs any sizable fraction of $1 to package and mail a license from a central location, that means that it’s less costly to produce these on-site than centrally. And note that this is without considering the cost of the central facility, its building, equipment (the license-producing machines there will need to be quite a bit bigger and more expensive) and staffing, and assumes that the local machines are an annual cost.

Yes. It’s a grainy little black-and-white one that is stapled to your temporary license, but it’s a photo no less. I felt like an ass when I had to use it, because it looks like someone printed a photo using their inkjet printer and a webcam, and attached it to a bunch of papers. But that’s how you have to roll until your plastic card shows in the mail. This was in 2000, I believe. Not sure if the temporary license is less crappy these days. It’s the DMV, so probably not.

Oregon gives you a temp license. Sometimes they won’t let you on an airplane with one…sometimes they do

In NH, I had a laminated temporary license when I moved to the state in 1998. They sent me one with a date further out (permanent) a few weeks later. My most recent renewal, I got a new one on the spot.

For the first one (1998), they needed to verify my status with the “old state” before granting a permanent license.

New license holders (no previous license) get a temporary paper one now, and a permanent one mailed later.

Wisconsin makes up your license right there and hands it to you before you leave, Minnesota gives you the chintzy paper receipt and mails it to you later. It’s goofy. I like the Wisconsin way better.