Terry Pratchett OKs Night Watch TV Series

Nah, Buscemi’s specialty is depressed weirdoes. Nobby is a cheerful twerp. Totally different.

What they need is to find someone with the face of Ron Perlman, but without the massive physique. Then again, Perlman himself was awesome as barely human Salvatore in Name of the Rose. It’s just, I’m not sold on the voice. Ron’s a low gravely growl, when in my mind Nobby squeaks and yelps.

You can’t really do that without establishing the world and its characters first. So maybe expect that storyline sometime later in the series, should it get that far.

Correct. That’s what I said. Though he certainly is a redhead too, according to the Discworld Companion and a couple of mentions throughout the novels.

Maybe they should start with an adaptation of GG as the pilot, then show the watch gradually expanding through the next few episodes.

According to the linked article in the OP,

" This will be the first time that Pratchett has allowed anyone to create new Discworld stories for television, although the author will be overseeing the series … [They have] assembled a strong writing team, including former Monty Python member, Terry Jones "

Well, Night Watch would be the origin story in a lot of ways. While most of us were familiar with the characters from their cameos in the unrelated books, that’s one of the few books that’d give you an overview of the entire force without taking them for a given.

Buscemi might be a little too old. I always thought of Kevin J. O’Connor when thinking of Nobby, because of O’ Connor’s role in “The Mummy”. For me that’s Nobbs.

The problem with that would be that there is (at my estimation) a gap of at least ten years between the past of Night Watch and the events of Guards! Guards! In those years we have the promotions of all the characters to their roles at the start of Guards! Guards!, as well as Nobby and Colon joining the military, the rise of Vetinari and the creation of the more modern guilds, and the eventual dwindling of the Night Watch to its state when Carrot joins.

If you started with Night Watch, you’d need a whole series to cover all of that to get to Guards! Guards!

The broad shoulders and heigth: he’s an over-6’-when-standing-tall dwarf (well, genetically human, but that’s a technicality - cultural dwarf).

I’ve always picture Carrot as Brendan Fraser-like. Especially after Greorge of the Jungle.

I could see that.

According to the article, Pterry would have control over the series. That’s good. I liked how Hogfather turned out. I’m still waiting for Going Postal to hit Netflix. Another good thing is that Terry Jones has been contracted as one of the writers.

He’s tall for his size.

Why is there any question about who would play Nobby when Tony Robinson is still alive?

Too bad Michael Berryman* isn’t a a couple of feet shorter.

*If you ever get the chance to meet him, do it. He’s about the coolest guy on the face of the earth.

Personally I’d prefer unknowns to play the parts.

I dislike the previous films being given an Victorian character rather then how I envisage the scenes judged by the books.

Well, yes, but then we can’t kibitz about unknown actors, can we?

If you’re interested (and I know you are) you can see a video of part of one of their production meetings (including Sir Terry) here.

New here but thought I would put my tupence worth in for charachters in the watch.

NOBBY: Big Mick?? I think thats his name - (Zercon the fool in “Heroes & Villains” Attila the Hun)

CHEERY LITTLEBOTTOM: Meredith Eaton (I know she is a yank but … even with the heavy makeup her beauty will shine through

And if he ever makes an appearance in the city - CASANUNDER: Peter Dinklage – one of the best from Game of Thrones

SALLY VON HUMPEDING: Christina Ricci – Wednesday Addams in Addams Family

Christina Ricci might even make a good Angua - she’s got the haunted fight-or-flight look in her eyes.

Too old. Andy Serkis, on the other hand…

Mark Addy is a good choice for Colon, although these days all those roles seem to go to either Timothy Spall or Mark Benton. Jeremy Irons for Vetinari is a good choice too, or maybe Jason Isaacs (but not Alan Rickman who really needs to get some other work besides dolorous quasi-evil types).

Angua needs to be a bit more rough-and-tumble. Jessica [del]Stevenson[/del] Hynes is probably too old for the role now (at 37, which is a sad thought) but has the right vibe.

Ross Kemp for Detritus. What?

Vimes…tough one. You need someone grizzled and tough but with a strong dose of both charisma and pathos. Hmm…I typed “grizzled British actors” into Google and, after various cites for the late Pete Postlethwaite, got a hit for Ray Stevenson. Looking good…

Vimes - Robert Lindsay???

I believe Peter Postlethwaite was Pterry’s original choice for Vimes. The pictures in Where’s My Cow certainly look like him.