Test your internet speed.

Yes, the link says 45 Mbps (I know – I have Yahoo BB). If you look at the prices here (the table right underneath the photograph of the router), you will see that Yahoo BB offerings go from 8 Mbps to 45 Mbps. The “base” price is 3938 yen (just over $37 US) per month for 45 Mbps, and 3138 yen (about $30 US) for 8 Mbps. Oh, and that includes BB Phone, a VoIP phone that connects to the PSTN.

But, Troy McClure’s location is listed as San Francisco, not Tokyo.

Another theory:

The only two people in this thread reporting those speeds also report OSX. Maybe something’s getting mixed up with the test.

Maybe they mean VDSL:

Correction: the “base” price is 1490 to 990. The prices I gave are the total prices (without the 990 yen wireless rental option).

It is important to realize just how freakin’ cheap Yahoo BB is. A Starbucks grande coffee costs 336 yen. My morning newspaper is 120 yen.

…sweet… :stuck_out_tongue:

Also Comcast Cable.

Slight Hijack:

Cerowyn, I’m wondering if you are using the standard Yahoo! BB rental modem or if you have an “after market” modem. If you have an “after market” modem, do you find it faster than the standard Y! BB modem? I’m using the rental modem, and apart from it being big, black, and ugly, I’m also wondering if it is affecting my speed.

Cheers! And hajimemashite. Yoroshiku!

Okay, so I tried the same test using Camino instead of Safari:

I’m not “superfast” anymore but I’m still quite pleased.

[continuing hijack]

I got a new rental modem in October, so it’s pretty new. It’s a little more rounded looking than the last one I had. It’s PDQ, and doesn’t drop out like the other.

Do you have the TV set top box option, by the way? My boss does, but he says he gets glitches all the time on the picture.

Hajimemasite, watashi-wa Cerowyn moshi-masu. (Sorry, no digital meishi)

[furthering the hijack] By the way, Sublight and I (infrequently joined by the enigmatic scr4) hook up on occasionally for semi-social-like interactions. Always interested in Tokyo based Dopers joining us! My email’s in my profile. (It is Friday afternoon, after all. :))

'Cept, you would be based in Osaka.

D’oh!!!

That’ll make me check profiles BEFORE I post.

Didn’t think that was right. And yes, I’m in SF.

Work:

Your line speed is:
3878.3 Kbps
475.3 K bytes/sec

later i’ll try at home.

/highjack (last one I swear)

Hahaha, that’s right. But that’s cool, Tokyo isn’t all that far away so maybe a Japan-based Dopers meet up in the near future is not infeasible. I’d most likely be joined by Cankerist too (who’s in Osaka), so it’d be a nice sized group to go wander Shinjuku with. :slight_smile:

I don’t have the set-top box option (luckily) just the standard modem + splitter combo. Just recently been considering upgrading from 8Mbps to 26Mpbs, so I was just trying to see if I’d get any noticeable speed increase, etc.

Enjoy your weekend, and be sure to PM me if you find yourself heading west-ward in the near future. :slight_smile:

Ja ne~

Anybody got a Mac with OS X, and PC on the same connection?

I’d like to test my theory. :slight_smile:

Holy rusted metal! I didn’t expect this many replies.
I am at home now so can run the test…

Your line speed is:
488.5 Kbps
59.9 K bytes/sec

Pretty humble compared to the others in this thread, but much better than the 56k crap I had a week ago.

Looking forward to seeing some UK replies, to see what the average is there (I suspect it will be 512kbps and under)

From work (with a 2Mb Adsl line) I get:

:smiley:

I will try and test it from home (Pipex 512Kb Broadband) tonight…

Grim

Your line speed is:
1948.4 Kbps
238.8 K bytes/sec

Roadrunner via Brighthouse cable (formerly Time Warner Cable)

Would the browser make a difference?

1367.3 Kbps
167.6 K bytes/sec

Time Warner, Road Runner, Cable, and my bad for all those M.A.M.E. ROMs I share.

Your line speed is:
1573.5 Kbps
192.8 K bytes/sec

From work via the Irish Government VPN.