TEXAS POSTERS! Stand up and be counted!!

Hey, I live in Massachussets, but I “cow-boy up”. Does it count?

:smiley:

-Austin area
-night stocker at HEB. Want to do something else, like fly for a living.
-I like all the brewpubs. Don’t care for high real estate prices. I want a house in a major way.
-Also a shooter but not a hunter. I have a 1kBR rifle (1,000yard Benchrest).
I just got a small lathe and mill and I’m having a blast making stuff. First project is a 1/8 scale Ferrari Daytona engine made of acrylic. It will go in a wild '32 Ford roadster. I got the machines mainly for making stuff for models.

• Where you’re from - Born and raised in Houston
  • What you do for a living - I’m a mechanical designer in the oil and gas industry
  • What you love/hate about Texas or where you live specifically - I love the ecological diversity–beautiful beaches, the hill country, the Piney Woods, the Valley. I love all the restaurants, clubs, bars, and other entertainment–(I’m going to the final show at the Compaq Center—ZZ Top baby!!!)
    I hate the heat and humidity, the bugs, the pollution, the traffic, the time wasted waiting in line after line…
  • Anything else you think might be interesting… I love the state pride! No where but Texas.
  • Cypress, northwest of Houston.
  • Exploration geologist
  • I was born and raised in Texas and have spent 80% of my life here. The people, it’s history and the wide open spaces are what make it special to me.
  • Lifelong Cowboy fan but I’ve quickly taken the Texans to heart as well. Catch a lot of Astros game but am still a season ticket holder for the Rangers.

I love this place.

If Texans in Kentucky can post, I reckon I can too, pardner. (I won’t kick your ass if you tell me not to, though.;)) Born in Houston, moved at age 5 to Marshall, and lived also in Longview. Worked out of Galveston for a while. Went to university in Arlington for 8 years. Finally left Texas at age 34.

I did like the space in Texas. Plenty of room, lots of camping opportunities. Even the big cities aren’t crowded by many standards. Though I never lived there, Austin is a wonderful place. I also like San Antonio, and El Paso has a peculiar charm for me. If you get away from city lights, which isn’t usually hard to do in Texas, the night sky can be an amazing thing (though stars are visible in other places, too). I miss those summer thunderstorms, among my very favorite things in the world. Tex-Mex food, of course.

I did not like the small minds that one often finds there. I eventually discovered that there are some very cool, enlightened people in Texas, but in my experience they were outnumbered. Can’t stand the drugstore cowboy fashion or the big obnoxious pick-up trucks that Audrey mentioned. Real cowboys (rare, even in Texas) are generally decent folks, but the tough-guy pretenders either make me sick or make me laugh. The state pride makes me uncomfortable, but then pretty much any sort of regionalism, nationalism, or almost any other -ism does too.

I can’t say I miss living in Texas, but I would be willing to go back. Not to just any part of Texas, but to some parts. All in all, it’s a pretty good place to be from.

Ringo, I wish I was. however, I have seen some good design out there in houston… maybe it’s just our clients and projects. Our clients are more concerned about a quick turn around, rather than developing a creative and effective product. makes me frustrated. :frowning:

back to texas, I grew up in San Antonio for the first 18 years of my life. I relized I left before I knew how great of a city it is. now, when I go back and visit the folks I’m always going out to restaurants I heard off, and visiting places I took for granted, like the Japanese Tea Gardens. SA also has the 3rd best zoo in the states, and it’s pretty awesome!

I’m in Houston. I was born in Oklahoma, but that was an accident, and I have personal permission from Ray Miller to identify myself as a Texan.

I’m a nurse and work on the edge of the medical center. We deliver the most attractive and well behaved babies in town.

I love everything about Texas except the extreme humidity (I don’t mind mild to moderate humidity at all) and the mosquitos, which were pretty bad for a time this year. While Houston is not the most attractive city, it does indeed have anything on could ever desire within a (relatively) short driving distance.

I have trained the kids to get all excited when I say “road trip”. I love driving across the state and try to find excuses to do so. I like to read all the small town newspapers and buy one at every stop. I love to chat up the old folks I find along the way, too. I am a grandma magnet.

Texas has every kind of land anyone could want to see.

Since my baby got off to kindergarten this year, I have started hitting the library and am working myself down and across the Texas history shelves. I’m planning a camping/road trip for next spring. It’s not formulated yet, but will involve alot of driving, camping, parks (dinosaur tracks!), small museums, and fruit stands.

I once met a bicycle tourist who told me he rode through 4 states in one day in the northeast, but when he got to Texas he rode for days and days and days.

Also, I never ever encourage anyone to come here.

- Where you’re from: El Paso. The town that Texas forgot. Lived here since 85 (though I went to college in Dallas).

- What you do for a living: Bureaucrat, essentially.

- What you love/hate about Texas or where you live specifically: I love the dryness of the climate. I’m just not made for humidity. I like the fact that we actually get cold winters every couple of years to offset the 115º summer weather. I love the Tex-Mex cuisine, and the generally peaceful way of life. I don’t like the dust and the scorpions and black widows and drab landscape – I prefer a little more green.

- Anything else you think might be interesting… We only moved here because my dad was stationed at Fort Bliss, but my family (on both sides) has all kinds of really weird connections to this city. Oh, and the house I used to live in was once (we think) the officers’ quarters assigned to (the future General) George Patton.

Another Weslaco checking in here.

I’m Executive Secretary at a large Retirement Community. Been here 10 years now and do not miss scraping ice off my windshield before going home from work or shoveling out the driveway in order to go to work.

I love going to the Hidalgo County Stock Show every year. We are just a few miles from South Padre Island, a great place to spend a day or a week, and don’t forget about Mexico, which is just down the road.

Grew up in Houston, currently live in Frisco.

Full time MBA student at UT-Dallas

Things I love? Hmm… spring and fall weather’s pretty terrific across the entire state, the fact that Texas has its own personality and the great variety of regional food that we can only get around here (Texas barbecue, tex-mex, etc…)

What I don’t like: I really can’t say I like the weird ultra-conservative religious segment of the Dallas area. I’m aghast every time I drive down certain highways and see billboards that say things like “He doesn’t question your existence!” There seems to be an obnoxiously militant bunch of church-goers up here that isn’t very prevalent in say, the Houston area or Austin area.

Oh, another reason I can still self-identify as a Texas Poster: I still own five whole acres of desert near Terlingua!

I live outside of Dallas, was born and raised just outside of Fort Worth in the ‘Quad Cities’ (as they are now calling it) area.
TEXAS RULEZ!
CJ

I currently live in Houston, though I mostly was raised in San Angelo and I lived in Austin for awhile. Wish I still lived there, as I have never liked Houston.

I work for a pharmaceutical company.

I am at least a 5th generation Texan, maybe further back than that. I love Texas’ size and diversity, the food, the landscape, and the big, big sky. I like chili and Shiner Bock and Dr. Pepper. As many people have said, I don’t like the small-mindedness you find so often, the obnoxious religious zealots, and the political conservatism. I am definitely ashamed that Shrub claims he’s from Texas.

What else? I also get choked up at the Bob Bullock Texas History Museum. I always liked Texas history, starting when I was a kid. I love to travel, but I think I’d have a hard time actually living anywhere else.

Hey, speak for yourself. I’m now an East Coaster by geography, but I’ll always be a Texan at heart. I’ll chime in with Pantellerite and MrO as a fellow Texas exile. (Texile? Textile???)

I was born in and grew up in El Paso, and lived a few decades in Houston (where my son was born) - Alief area, if anyone cares - before moving out of Texas. I lived briefly in Lubbock, and I’ve got relatives in a few dozen towns around the state. I’m an electrical engineer in the semiconductor industry.

I liked the weather in the winter, the fact you can camp year-round, and the vast number of stores, restaurants, and activities available in Houston. I liked the diversity in the people - and everyone just seemed used to it. I liked the fact that driving from my home in Houston to visit family in El Paso took me across all kinds of different climate and terrain - and I spent a day driving without leaving the state.

I didn’t like the politics of the state, Houston traffic or humidity, mosquitos in December, or the fact that I was laid off by my job there and couldn’t find another one in the state.

-New England Texan, but still a Texan at heart.

Man, I always thought the “NE” was for “North East” as in Texarkana or somethin’…New England is far, far, far northeast Texas…at least accordin’ to this here novelty map…

NE Texan - I also always thought NE stood for northeast, not New England. By the way, I live in Alief! Right behind the mall…

Yeah, since choosing the name “NE Texan”, I’ve realized the potential for confusion, even with “New England” in the location field. But I’m used to the name, and I don’t really want to change it.

Dolores, I lived on West Bellfort. I’m on a lot quieter street now. In fact, I have to drive a loooong way to get to a street as busy as West Bellfort.

But the mall makes me think of Sonic, and we miss Sonic. sniff.

I live in the Fort Worth area, I was born in Austin, and I went to school at Texas A&M University. WHOOP!

I am a high school science teacher and I love my job.

I like Fort Worth because of its laid-back atmosphere (at least compared to Dallas–and that’s not a knock against Dallas).

I don’t like (as someone else mentioned) the sometimes close-mindedness and conservative religious attitudes of a lot of my fellow Texans. All I have to do is say the words “Big Bang” or “evolution” in my classroom and I can almost hear the minds of 3/4 of my students’ snapping shut.

Having said that, I also think that the best thing about Texas is our people. Friendly, helpful, hard-working and proud.

I love traveling around the state–the diversity is amazing.

• the East Texas piney woods
  • the mountains in the west
  • the desert (and mountains) in Big Bend National Park
  • the beautiful hill country of central Texas
  • the gulf coast and Padre Island
  • the metropolitan areas like DFW where you can see all four major sports, get a thrill at Six Flags or Hurrican Harbor, eat at great restaurants, catch just about every major concert tour and also ‘discover’ plenty of unknown talents, visit world class museums, and go to the great State Fair of Texas.

Dang! Now I’ve got the itch to take a road trip!

Where: Finally, Greenville, but born and raised in Dallas, then transplanted to Mineola. Once married, lived in Tyler, Longview, Austin and Garland. After that circuitous route, here I should hopefully stay put. Unless severe circumstances dictate otherwise. We’ll see.

Living: Recovering agoraphobic who hopes to get back to college soon to finish my senior year. Then I can teach junior high kids English. Otherwise, in my “normal” life before, I was basically an office/data entry/receptionist worker. You know the type.

Love: Well, it used to be the Rangers, but after about '96…

Hate: Like somebody already said, the rampant close-mindedness of many of the folks. I’d move to New Mexico in a heartbeat if I could afford it. One can always have dreams though. :slight_smile:

::: waves hi at all the other fellow Texans and ex-pats! :::

Despite being English and posting from North Eastern France, I’m a Texan poster.

Where do I live? Austin

What do I do for a living? Oil and gas (same company that UnclVinny worked for). Just about to start in India.

What do I love about Texas? Well, there’s one very special young lady…

Anything else? We have the best BatDopes in the whole wide world :smiley: