Texas Senate: Guns okay. Feminine hygiene not okay.

So given that guns and bullets are ok, why are tampons and maxi pads not? Please be explicit in your response. Show your work. Do not bring up theoretical jars of feces and urine, they are not relevant to the thread.

That claim is false. The original source is a DPS press release, a copy of which is here. I’ll quote and add emphasis: During these inspections, DPS officers have thus far discovered one jar suspected to contain urine, 18 jars *suspected *to contain feces, and three bottles suspected to contain paint. That’s an odd construction. I mean I get the feces and maybe the urine. But suspected to contain paint? It’s not hard to check these things out definitively. I don’t know whether the Texas DPS has a history of nonsense, but their statement doesn’t survive casual parsing.

Because they’re disgusting!

But, they weren’t.

Let’s pretend they were so we don’t hurt the feelings of the people who want to believe they were. Let’s just go along with it and say “Ok, some people were trying to bring in feces and urine and paint. So why were tampons and pads and diabetes medications confiscated?”

Because even if some people were bringing in jars of urine, I don’t understand how that’s related to the tampon confiscation. Yet on every site I’ve read today that commented on the feminine hygiene products being removed, someone has raised the jars of turds as though there was a relationship between the two things. I want to know why maxi pads had to be stopped to prevent the paint and poo and piss from getting through and if I waste time arguing with them over the existence of the latter, they’ll never get around explaining how it’s linked to the former, and why they keep bringing it up.

My wife, whose life view and sense of humor are two of the things that hooked me, made a brilliant suggestion.

The women attending in the Gallery as well as on the Floor of the Texas State House should respond in full compliance with this new law.

And stop using all sanitary products when they know they are going to enter that room. And sit as they normally would. And stand as they normally would.

Those fucking Neanderthal males down there wouldn’t know what to do. Oh no wait, they would- they’d ban all women from the State House, period.

Period, I say.

Possibly the DPS and the Republicans only know that tampons go Down There and urine/feces come from Down There, so there **MUST **be a connection. Clearly they don’t know the geography and components of a woman’s Down There Zone. Suggest picketers with big drawings explicitly displaying the features and landscape of female anatomy.

The diabetes stuff I can’t explain.

It signals Wilfred Brimley who then sends in Remo Williams. Once that happens everyone’s guns are useless and the adventure begins.

They would if they could.

Most diabetics are homos, and low blood sugar has been linked to communist tendencies in howler monkeys.

I’m not sure about who does the hiring and firing at DPS, but if they are under the thrall of the Republicans, the Republicans are doing a piss poor job of maintaining their hold on that thrall. The troopers were unfailingly polite, kind, friendly, and even jovial with the pro-choice protesters. They were, for the most part, quite gentlemanly. The rudest behavior I experienced was plain, simple neutrality (which is, in Texas, a sign of simmering but polite dislike).

Not all troopers are created equal. I have little doubt that some – likely the ones brought in from outside Austin – might have been less than friendly when arresting protesters. But unreasonable requests were made not with glee nor satisfaction but with the general resignation of “yep, this is what we’re asking, and we’d appreciate not being given a hard time about it.”

Then again, I wasn’t there on Friday. Nor would I have been able to get in. I’d have told them that they could have the tampons and pads in my bag, but they were going to have to get the other one off me themselves. :eek:

Saw this. Love Borowitz…

Dude, you equated jars of shit with tampons. No matter what you say from now on, you will always be the guy who equated jars of shit with tampons.

Seriously, even if the DPS found thousands of jars of urine and feces, in what way would that justify confiscating tampons? Could you please explain that? What kind of of fucked up logic leads leads you believe that it’s okay to take person B’s maxipad just because person A had some turds in a jar? Meanwhile person C can walk right in BECAUSE they have a gun.

texas. sounds like a shit hole

Go west 'til you smell it, then go south 'til you step in it.

My cousin’s husband, who writes for some conservative website, has written many overly dramatic blog posts on this issue. He states that the confiscated tampons were “reportedly” used. Either he’s not aware of the fact that women who use tampons tend to carry lots of spares, or he’s deliberately engaging in some rather nasty smear tactics (for lack of a better word).

I can post a link to the site if anyone’s interested…his post comparing pro-choice protestors to satanists (complete with video of their ‘eerie’ chanting!) was bizarre.

When I saw footage on the news, those were plain old wrapped-up spares going into the boxes. (I also saw granola bars and the like - either they really do want to discourage diabetics or want people to just GTFO if they’re hungry.)

What if you’re smoking a pregnant woman? What if you’re a smokin’ pregnant woman? What if you are just smokin’ in general?

Really, does it matter?

Brilliant, that being said, I’d rather avoid that tree.

But I’m white, with a bad complexion and lots of Che shirts - do I get a pass?

I’m going to assume that you’re just fucking around. I’m going to do this because I refuse to accept, in my world, that someone could say something so utterly asinine with a straight face.

If my assumption (and the at-will nature of my world view) is wrong… what exact kind of fuckwad are you? If you seriously can’t see the difference between,

“I’m bringing a bag of shit to the senate; guess I’m gonna do.” and “I’m bleeding and would like something present and on my person to sop it up.” then you are more fucked than I ever imagined a non-psychotic (I know another assumption) could possibly be.

I wonder if anyone has thought of using a gun as a tampon. “No, officer it’s just my firearm. I happen to find that the barrel of a .45 works perfectly for dual purpose.”

“Sorry one-five, I put in 20 years of doing shit detail. Now it’s you’re turn. Seniority sucks if you’re not senior.”

Or, possibly, the reports of the suspicion are true, could not be confirmed - by the DPS - and so it became a game of denial. I know that’s never happened before in the history of politics and would be shocking if it happened - for the first time - in Texas of all unlikely places.

“Brain-damaged drool monkey meet Occam, Occam meet brain-damaged droo… fuck it let’s save our breath and get a beer.”

I got caught in Poe’s law. It took me a paragraph or so to figure this out. Telling, I think.

Why has America not forced this rancid asshole of a state to secede? Is the US of A so immune to embarrassment that this sort of fucktardedness is not only acceptable but, in some eyes - Magellan - admirable.

Almost every time I see a story from the States - especially Texas - I thank the God-I-don’t-believe-in that He had the good grace to make me Canadian.

Seriously… how does a country go from “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” and “we hold these truths to be self-evident…” to the sad and sorry state that it insists on wallowing in. And, further, inflicting it upon the rest of the world?

Oh, and in case I didn’t make it clear Magellan your stance highlights you as a singular and shining example of everything in the gene pool that begs for heavy chlorination.

Well, we have a problem. You seem to have pretty strong feelings about me, but you haven’t given me a scintilla of a reason as to why I might give a flea’s shit what you think about anything. In fact, based on this recent introduction to you, I see no reason to simply discount you as another living in a simplistic two-dimensional cartoon universe. I’d say you’re jealous that you can’t understand the “why” that the tampons, etc. were prohibited, except that would necessitate both a greater intellect and degree of self-awareness than you have. I have every reason to believe that you think that it would be just find and dandy to shower a place of law-making with all manner of scatology and inappropriate silliness, so I’m not surprised that you would see something you don’t like and rush to smash the “bad” button. Like a monkey in a lab experiment.

Granted that your one brain cell can’t grasp how a person might be pro-choice and be opposed to late term abortions. Not =r to be able to see why law enforcement might want to ban objects that would cause a spectacle without them being, being, being… well, I’m not sure what you see them as being but I’m sure it’s something super-duper bad. Am I right, punk? Maybe look in the mirror and ask the murderer on your OMG-so-fucking-cool Che T-shirt.

I certainly hope I’ve made myself clear. Have exactly the type of day you and your scumbag idol, Che, deserve. :smiley:

It’s a big state, and not all of us are like those hogging the spotlight.