Thank you again post office, you FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT!!!!

Okay, you’d think after three years I’d learn my lesson and send my mother’s day card at least a week in advance. But you know, it typically takes a letter to get from Austin to New Orleans three days, and I figured if I spend the money to send it two day priority mail, it should get there on time. But no, today marks the THIRD FUCKING YEAR in a ROW where my poor ass pays to have his card delivered two days before mother’s day, and IT DOESN’T FUCKING ARRIVE!!! Now, I realize it’s a busy time of year, and I realize that with the “anthrax” thing, that things run a little slower, but come on. I paid about ten times the normal rate to send a fucking letter to a destination I could have driven it to in less than ten hours, and you can’t fucking get it there in four days? It’s your fucking job, it’s what you’re there for. Why give people the option of having a “Priority Mail” if it just means you’re going to put it in a fancy package and drop it in the “I’ll deal with it when I damned well feel like it” pile? The fear of terrorism is over, Anthrax was never really a big fucking deal, and now, no one cares. Just get my fucking mail delivered on time damnit, and quit giving my mom another reason to be pissed at me.

You need to give up on USPS - they are a Government Agency after all, so how can we expect on-time, on-budget results from them? I fully agree with you, which is why FedEx is so nice - if you have to pay astronomical fees either way, better to pay the group that will actually get it there!

I have had bad experiences sending letters priority also. The letter took over a week to arrive, and it didn’t even leave the state. I’ve heard that priority letters are often late because they are seperated from the normal mail stream and require extra handling. Seems like that should be the point, but realize that regular mail, excluding packages, averages 2-3 day delivery times anyway. (I’ve had standard first class mail go almost across the country next day. Go figure.)

On the other hand, my wife uses priority mail to ship packages for her small business about 2 or 3 times a week, and almost never has a problem with shipments taking longer than advertised. I would guess that this is because these are boxes as opposed to envelopes, so they get passed through the priority system better. (An envelope with a 3.50 priority stamp can easily be mistaken for any old letter.) So next time, why not send your card in one of the USPS’ priority boxes, and see how it goes?

As for FedEx, their rates for service comparable to priority mail start at about double what the USPS charges. Is FedEx’ on-time delivery percentage double that of USPS?

It’s expensive, but it is guaranteed. It will get there on time, or you don’t pay for it. The USPS doesn’t guarantee squat for priority mail, and doesn’t seem to treat it differently than regular 1st class mail.

Did it ever occur to you that you’re not the only procrastintor in the country?

Mail earlier, or fork out the $12 for Express mail.

Did it ever occur to you that you’re not the only procrastintor in the country?

Mail earlier, or fork out the $12 for Express mail.

I’m with T-3. (I work for Hallmark and just witnessed the devestation that is the “Mother’s Day” card rack the days before Mother’s Day.) I’m guessing the Post Office has been flooded with cards this week. At any rate, just look at the size of an average card or letter – it’s amazing how few of them are delayed or lost altogether. (I think the box is a good idea, if you’re going to pay the extra you might as well. Pretty sure it’s the same price with the box as without.)

Last year, I did sent it Express Mail. That means overnight…it took three days.

I understand that I’m not the only procrastinator in the world, but I’m not being paid to send my letters out on time, or do anything recreational on time. But when it comes to my job, I’m on time, otherwise I get in trouble, I don’t get paid, or I get fired. That’s my understanding of how jobs work. So, if i’m paying for a service, that service better get delivered. It’s like paying for cable and not having it hooked up for a month but still getting charged. Where’s the logic there? Just saying “Oh, well, the guy just didn’t feel like it, he’s a bit of a procrastinator” doesn’t excuse bad service.

Granted, the USPS is way overdo for reform. No one realizes this any better than the clerks and carriers who take the brunt of customer dissatisfaction. But we move a couple billion pieces of mail each year, and some of it’s bound to get delayed.

Keep in mind that it’s not all USPS’s fault. Unlike UPS or FedEx, we don’t own our own aircraft…any mail that is flown, goes on commercial airlines, (or on FedEx aircraft, but that’s another story), and especially now, is subject to a lot more scrutiny than a package sent parcel post (trucked).

Because of the Unabomber and anthrax, Congressional limits on how we do business, and all the other crap that other companies don’t have to
contend with, the USPS has become a huge conglomerate of rules and regluations, and is sinking…fast. The big-wigs in DC have made some extremely poor choices over the past few years (Tweety Bird tie, anyone?), and we’re all keeping our fingers crossed that Congress and our new PMG Potter will finally have a realistic view, and most important, farsight to get us out of the hole that’s been dug over the past 25 years.

In the meantime, remember we are Federal employees, and therefore prohibited by law to strike. I worked without a contract for almost two years, and so have most of the other unions. Imagine what would happen if there was no mail service for a few weeks.

Go check out your post office the morning after Memorial day. Just ask your postmaster if you can take a peek. Then go watch The Postman.

Yup, same $3.50 for a box, and the box is supplied free by the USPS too. My wife has been using this about twice a week for the past year and a half and has never had anything take longer than 3 days to be delivered to a customer, including holidays.

Why priority mail envelopes get such shabby treatment is something of a mystery, but from what I have seen the service on those is so bad it should be considered false advertising.