You know, I haven’t been following PRR’s hijinks on these boards which have apparently made him so unpopular of late. I didn’t think his OP was really incendiary, since I don’t read GD and didn’t ever really know who the hell badchad was or what PRR thinks of religious people. And I don’t give a fuck. Not knowing that stuff, this thread turned into a “take a dump on PRR” fest awfully fast and it kind of surprised me. Sure, he’s a sarcastic bastard who sometimes goes way over the top, but still. Wow. I would say I was shocked by how this thread has gone, but I’m not that naive. The attacks seem really, really personal to me.
I wish I could claim that this is an objective POV but that wouldn’t be entirely true. I have met PRR in real life and he was a perfectly nice guy. We have talked in a limited fashion about real world shit, and he has been quite agreeable and decent. Of course, we didn’t discuss religion, but there’s a reason why polite people don’t. Just another POV on the guy; I wouldn’t post his bail bond for murder or anything, but I don’t think he’s the monster he’s been painted as here. Some of these extremely ad hominem attacks seem just way out of line. You guys seem to forget that a poster’s persona on the SDMB, or any other quasi-anonymous message board, is not an accurate representation of who the person is, nor does it give you some masterful insight into that person’s life that lets you just say hateful shit that’s way out of line.
For example:
Zoe: He is a professor. I am not going to give away any of his personal info to refute your spurious and cruel attempts to discredit him, but I feel safe in asserting this. I think you should back off your strident claims that he’s not based solely on the fact that you don’t like him. It’s too much, and it’s wrong. Safe to say, his command of the English language more than eclipses your buddy Liberal’s (who will now call me a LIAR for saying he doesn’t have the mastery of his mother tongue that he thinks he has-- he likes to throw that word around).
LiberaL: Your behavior in this thread is certainly no better than PRR’s, worse, in fact, due to your offer to pay PRR to leave, and subsequent pathetic weaseling out of it, replete with totally unjustiable self-righteous. I was rather astonished and amused by it. Quite a performance. I wish you would read over this thread and your own words so you can see how bad it looks. If PRR or someone else you don’t like had said the same things you’ve said about that ill-advised $500 buy-off, you’d call him a LIAR. Some self-reflection is due here.