That '90s Show {Debut Jan 19,2023}

This version was stupid in many ways. Liquor store gives them a keg, Girl threatens the owner to give her a tap, then they haul it up a water tower.

Until I saw elfkin477’s post just now, I completely forgot that I was the OP! :smiley:

I just finished watching the season, and I totally agree with this. I actually liked it more than I thought I would. :slight_smile: Red and Kitty are still awesome, as is Leo. I could have done without Fez or Bob. But I think they cast Leia well: the actress is believable as the daughter of Eric and Donna, and was mostly able to pull off the “endearingly earnest” thing that Topher Grace did a lot. I expected the kids to get on my nerves, but I wound up liking all of them well enough.

FWIW, I’m 51: based on the ages mentioned during this show, I’m 14 years younger than Eric and 9 years older than Leia. I was able to smile about elements of both the ‘70s and ‘90s settings.

All of the episodes are available on Netflix but they’ve only been out for a day, so just to be on the safe side I’ll include spoiler protection for this: I really enjoyed the guest appearance of Brian Austin Green in character as David Silver in the 90210 daydream…even though I think they overdid that conceit.

Yeah, that was the least believable part. By they time they got that up there, it would be pouring nothing but foam for hours.

I’m still bitter about the time when the restaurant I worked for gave the employees a free keg for a staff party one time, and a couple of idiots rolled the keg into the party. Sucking nothing but foam the whole damn night. :rage:

I figured someone was going to fall off.

Just finished the finale and I hope this gets renewed. The kids are just similar to the old gang while being different enough to avoid invoking Generation Xerox. The adults (except Kelso & Jackie) did alot of character development offscreen, especially Red.

They really did it with a live audience. What drugs that audience was on I can’t tell, but the exaggerated laughter was indeed jarring.

I caught a few episodes. My impression so far accords with what others have said in this thread: the adults are great, but I’m not (yet) interested in anything the kids are doing. I’ll keep watching to see if this changes. (If not, I’ll wait until some fan does a Phantom Edit-style reworking of the entire series so that it’s almost entirely Red, Kitty, and the old gang.)

By the way, did anyone else catch the clever placement of Debra Jo Rupp and Kurtwood Smith’s names in the opening credits? I haven’t seen that sort of thing done since the early seasons of Cheers. It was a way to ensure that both Ted Danson and Shelley Long got top billing.

I didn’t see it, but Cheers (and the reason for doing it) crosses my mind every time I see the Top Right/Bottom Left placement of two names.

Has anyone else noticed Ozzie’s watch? The first time I saw it, I thought it was an Apple Watch that maybe he accidentally left on and somehow it wasn’t caught. It’s always has a black with single white line. I don’t recall ever seeing a watch, or anything similar looking for that matter, in the 90’s.

I think the first use was in The Towering Inferno, with Paul Newman and Steve McQueen.

I finished the last handful of eps last night and I thought it was somewhere between meh and fine. I liked the kids and Red and Kitty are always the best. I actually thought it got better along the way and the last couple of eps were actually kind of touching. I wouldn’t mind seeing another season with this group though the romance angle at the end seemed a little tacked on.

I did notice that Red had a cane at one point, but it seemed like he didn’t need it in other eps. Did they ever explain that?

I liked Don Stark in That 70s Show but he didn’t look too good here. His timing seemed a little off and it looked like he had difficulty moving. I hope he’s OK.

There were a couple scenes in Red and Kitty’s bedroom but the staging had the door to the viewer’s left but we all know the staging in That 70s Show has the door on our right. Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

It was because the neighbor ran him over with her bike, which was the closing of the previous episode. Kitty makes a joke about him still having tire marks somewhere.

I’m almost done, and so far I’ve enjoyed it well enough. Like several shows I’ve watched recently, I thought the first/pilot episodes were weak, but it’s gotten better a few shows in.

Part of my initial mehness for this show may be that it really is paced, written, filmed, etc. as a classic three camera sitcom. Live audience, laugh track, etc. At first that really was jarring, because the 30 minute comedies I’ve been watching lately (Derry Girls, Ghosts, Ghosts, and some others) are not setup in that old style. Once I settled in and accepted the genre, I’ve been properly entertained.

Was Topher really so busy that he couldn’t spend more than part of the first episode? Even Leo got two.

Topher is in his own sitcom on ABC, Home Economics. I don’t know if shooting schedules conflicted or if he just doesn’t want to be identified with Eric Foreman anymore.

I binged it this weekend. I was expecting that all of the younger cast members were supposed to be the children of the original cast, so I spent some time trying to figure out who was the child of whom. But only a couple were.