That guy in Katy, TX, who doesn't want to be a fucking laughingstock...

I think one of you Dopers that lives in the area should put a sign on the site that reads:

WE DON’T WANT A MOSQUE HERE BECAUSE WE’RE A BUNCH OF RACIST ASSHOLES

If I do it, I’ll post pix.

Shouldn’t that be katyislamichatersassociation.net? :confused:

In related news, bigoted jerks in Bavaria go–heck, they catapult–off their rocker:

{Beginning of article}

Huh? The mosque has nothing to do with religion? Wow. That’s a new one on me. I mean, I’ve heard Islam called a fake religion and even worse things, but I’ve never heard that one of their houses of worship had nothing to do with religion.

What does the church these bigots are “protecting” have to say about the issue? What does the town’s Christian mayor have to say?

Oh, and this other quote in the article is quite entertaining:

I guess that rules out as good Germans all those nice people of other religions that prohibit consumption of alcohol or those nice people of religions that prohibit consumption of meat.

[Sarah Silverman] They’re cute when they’re little. [/Sarah]

Knee-jerk tit-for-tat xenophobia aside, I think the idea of pig racing is rather appealing.

I mean, you could make an evening of it - get all dressed up, have a few drinks, place a few bets. Furthermore, you can eat the losers, something unappetising to those at horse races, except maybe the French spectators.

Seems to me that if the pig races do happen, the mosque should enter a few pigs themselves just to totally confuse the bigots!

Screw pig racing, greased pig catching is the way to go.

When my husband saw that he called it “touchdown Jesus”.

I must say, this kind of idiocy is not limited to Texas or even red states. Palos Heights, Illinois had a similar incident, with less excuse as the place had previously been a church, so traffic and parking would have just changed days.

If I may play devil’s advocate for a moment; wouldn’t a mosque itselfbe a target for terrorists? Surely there are some “good old red-blooded American boys” who equat all Muslims with terrorists and would feel justified in bombing a mosque.

What a shout-out for diversity acceptance it *would *be - a beautiful Roman Catholic Church across from a beautiful old-world style mosque. If the good people would get their collective heads out of their asses enough!

I too am shocked to know mosques have nothing to do with religion, having been in a few in my day. What *was *all that chanting, I wonder?

Anaamika,

The good people do have their heads out of the other part. It 's the not good people stirring up stuff.

Because these idiots aren’t “terrorists”, they’re “good Americans”.

I did read the KIA website and could find nothing inappropriate in the reporter’s questions to the site owner. It seems to me that he’s het up because the reporter’s not buying his agenda, so he’s painting her as the one with the agenda.

Moron.

Robin

Bump, if memory serves it’s south of I=10 at or around Fry road.

I’ve read elsewhere that to develop the land like they’ve indicated are their plans, it’ll take not their existing 11 acres, but 25. Craig Baker’s adjacent family plot… 14 acres.
If nothing else, it’ll be interesting to see who tries to court the NASPIG vote.

Minor update… Craig Baker still idiot, sun continues to rise in East
The guy has started holding the pig races, and he’s also selling sausages during prayers. But, he says…

They offended him by asking him to move his cattle off the land they’d bought. And his way of defending himself is to hold pig races during prayers, although there’s no offense intended. This man is so stupid he’s lucky he hasn’t forgotten to breathe.

Of course, the best part is

You win again, Baker!

Am I the only one who finds this little nugget hillarious?

:smiley:

That woman is a dolt, but she’s correct about that observation. A religious edifice is always a power play. The message St Patrick’s Cathedral was built to convey was not “Love God with your whole heart and soul and love your neighbor as yourself.” It was “We’re Here. We’re Irish. Get used to it.” (If you need proof of this, you can ask the man whose seat is there. He will admit that prayers in the cathedral are no more valuable than prayers in a clapboard church.) It’s about time they had a mosque that said that.

I wonder what point she thought she was making.

KAAAAAAAAAAHN!