"That was a guy singing?!" wrong calls on singers' genders thread

[QUOTE=Queen of the Felines]
“The Neverending Story” by Limahl.

The hair didn’t help either.
[/QUOTE]

I had problems figuring out Limahl when he was in Kajagoogoo…I could have SWORN “Too Shy” was sung by a woman.

Tom Brosseau on the Grand Forks album.

In the late Seventies, I was one of many people who heard Bonnie Tyler’s “It’s a Heartache” and thought it was sung by Rod Stewart.

I always thought the chick from Air Supply sounded hot. That ended up kinda awkward.

A couple of years back, I saw The Delays opening for Franz Ferdinand. I didn’t really pay that much attention as they came out on stage, beyond a fairly cursory “Ok, four overly-skinny guys, thrift-store clothes, funny hair cuts, check.” Then they started playing, and I had to look for the woman I’d obviously missed joining them on stage. Nope, no woman, just a guy whose voice I can best describe as sounding like early Sarah McLachlan on certain songs.

Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”. The first couple of years I heard it I swore the lead vocalist was a woman. Only after I really focused on the vocal did I realize it was Lindsay Buckingham.

[QUOTE=DoctorJ]
I was coming in to mention Tracey Chapman, specifically “Fast Car”. I lost ten bucks to my dad over that one.
[/QUOTE]

Doh! you beat me to it. Altho I can’t recall how much was the voice, how much was the appearance, and how much was the lyrics.

The Nylons:
Lion Sleeps Tonight. The soprano aahhs (about 40 seconds in) are a guy- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m75i68Ob8ko

And Take Me to Your Heart. 40 seconds in the high notes by the guy.

The first Jane’s Addiction song I heard was their cover of “Sympathy for the Devil,” in the movie Alien Nation in 1990 or so. I said, “Wow, this cover is awful,” and my friend said, “You’re not gonna believe this, but that’s a dude singing!”

He was right. I didn’t believe him. Not until I heard Nothing’s Shocking, anyway, which became my favorite album for a few years.

For a very long time, I thought that I’m The Only One by Melissa Etheridge was actually Journey.

[QUOTE=installLSC]
Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”. The first couple of years I heard it I swore the lead vocalist was a woman. Only after I really focused on the vocal did I realize it was Lindsay Buckingham.
[/QUOTE]

And if you were explaining this to someone who didn’t know Fleetwood Mac, you’d have to add “…and Lindsay is a guy.”

[QUOTE=jayjay]
I had problems figuring out Limahl when he was in Kajagoogoo…I could have SWORN “Too Shy” was sung by a woman.
[/QUOTE]

Well…until this thread, I didn’t realize that Neverending Story and Too Shy weren’t sung by a woman. Well, women, as I also didn’t realize they were the same singer.

[QUOTE=astorian]
In the late Seventies, I was one of many people who heard Bonnie Tyler’s “It’s a Heartache” and thought it was sung by Rod Stewart.
[/QUOTE]

And in an ironic example of the circle of life, Rod Stewart has recorded a cover album which includes his version of “It’s A Heartache”.

Yes, mobo, Neil Sedaka not only had recorded his own version of “Love Will Keep Us Together” on his album **Sedaka’s Back **, he also co-wrote it. The Captain and Tennille can be heard paying tribute to Sedaka near the end of their own version. (“Sedaka is back”)

[QUOTE=Happy Lendervedder]
And if you were explaining this to someone who didn’t know Fleetwood Mac, you’d have to add “…and Lindsay is a guy.”
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Stevie was a girl

If Wayne Newton is first, then second has to be Frankie Valli.

[QUOTE=Johnny Hildo]
Wayne Newton’s “Danke Schoen.” Hands down.
[/QUOTE]

Holy crap! Are you guys kidding me? I know Wayne is known for singing that song but are you telling me that the version they play in Ferris Buellers Day Off is him singing? Oy vey.

[QUOTE=installLSC]
Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”. The first couple of years I heard it I swore the lead vocalist was a woman. Only after I really focused on the vocal did I realize it was Lindsay Buckingham.
[/QUOTE]

I have a friend who *still * claims that it’s Christine McVie singing the original recording. He’ll make you listen to Songbird (also from Rumours, I think) and then Go Your Own Way and defy you to prove that it’s not the same person singing.

[QUOTE=Annie-Xmas]
Yes, but Stevie was a girl
[/QUOTE]
Boy, was she ever!

Ditto!

VCNJ~

[QUOTE=installLSC]
Fleetwood Mac’s “Go Your Own Way”. The first couple of years I heard it I swore the lead vocalist was a woman. Only after I really focused on the vocal did I realize it was Lindsay Buckingham.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Tengu]
Well…until this thread, I didn’t realize that Neverending Story and Too Shy weren’t sung by a woman. Well, women, as I also didn’t realize they were the same singer.
[/QUOTE]

Ditto for me, Tengu.

I used to think *More Today Than Yesterday * by Spiral Starecase was a woman singing.

That dude from Coheed and Cambria sounds like a little girl, but looks like an ape from Planet of the Apes. Talk about your cognitive dissonance!