[QUOTE=dwc1970]
The first few times I heard “I’d Like To Get To Know You” by Spanky & Our Gang I thought a woman was singing in the middle of the song. A distinctly male voice appears at the beginning of the song but when he switches to a higher vocal register it sounds more feminine.
[/QUOTE]
I don’t remember the song well enough to tell you if any of the male members of the band sing lead during any part of it, but lead singer Spanky McFarlane is a woman.
[QUOTE=Hunter Hawk]
Tom Brosseau on the Grand Forks album.
[/QUOTE]
I saw Tom Brosseau perform live and was all like “huh, Tom is a really weird name for a woman.” I seriously couldn’t tell. Very, very androgynous. Lovely voice and great stage presence though.
Music by the 70s band The Raspberries (Go all the Way) and/or their lead singer Eric Carmen (Never Gonna Fall in Love Again) fooled me for a long time.
[QUOTE=Winston Bongo]
We’re on the second page and still no one has mentioned “I Can See Clearly Now” by Johnny Nash?..it was not a woman singing that song.
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=dwc1970]
I always thought Supertramp’s lead singer was female, which is why “Breakfast in America” confused me with the opening line, “Take a look at my girlfriend” (the notion of a female being a lesbian and thus having a girlfriend did not enter my innocent nine-year-old mind at the time).
[/QUOTE]
I came in to mentin that one, how only in the last few years did I find out “The Logical Song” is sung by a guy.
Also, I would have sworn Lovin’ Touchin’ Squeezin’ was a gal, sine I didn’t know Journey too well and didn’t make the connection.
There’s also Jon Anderson. I hadn’t heard of the group Yes until later, I first heard him on a Vangelis’ Heaven and Hell album and thought it was a woman singing. He actually sounds (to me) kinda like the singer on the above mentioned Supertramp’s The Logical Song.
I’m used to men that sing high, so I laugh at y’all.
Of course, I’m so used to it that I do remember hearing an early Melissa Etheridge song that sounded like a rock guy singing high. “I Want to Come Over,” maybe. But hey, that’s how she sings.
The one that actually surprised me: When I was getting into Cassandra Wilson, I was listening to one of her albums (New Moon Daughter, I think) & thought that some of the songs in the middle had a male singer accompanying her.
Looked at the booklet. Nope. She’s a baritone, more or less, & when she goes low, it just sounds too low to be a woman.
psst…his mail comes to Gary Lee Weinrib. No ambiguity there. I never thought he sounded like a girl, though. Just a guy with an obscenely high voice. You couldn’t mistake Brad Delp for a girl, either, but he could sing full on for notes only a dog could hear.
Queensryche did a concept album called Operation Mindcrime and there is a sort of duet in on one track that I swear to this day HAS to be a chick on vocals…no mention no one on the album not in the band, evidently Geoff Tate (who does have an amazing range) just altered his voice for that part and sounds 100% female.
Oh and “I can see clearly now” was a dude? dude, you have got to be kidding me?!?!?!?
On the Pointer Sisters Automatic, that deep bass voice singing the word ‘automatic’ is June Pointer. I didn’t believe it until my husband made me watch a video of it.
[QUOTE=Biggirl]
On the Pointer Sisters Automatic, that deep bass voice singing the word ‘automatic’ is June Pointer. I didn’t believe it until my husband made me watch a video of it.
[/QUOTE]
I recall at the time that Kasey Kasem pointed out her voice had been altered to make her sound like that. Big novelty thing.
[QUOTE=Critical1]
Queensryche did a concept album called Operation Mindcrime and there is a sort of duet in on one track that I swear to this day HAS to be a chick on vocals…no mention no one on the album not in the band, evidently Geoff Tate (who does have an amazing range) just altered his voice for that part and sounds 100% female.
[/QUOTE]
You mean Pamela Moore? Not a dude. Geoff Tate has an amazing range but does not sound like a woman.