The ABSOLUTE creepiest movie

So, did you want creepy or scary?

Creepiest, IMHO, would be David Lynch’s Eraserhead. Scariest in a creepy way would probably be Roman Polanski’s Repulsion.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned “The Shining” yet!
“I’m not going to hurt you. I’m just going to bash your head in!”

Some others:
“Jacobs Ladder” (picmr said it first)

These SK movies scared me, but maybe no one else:
“Cujo” That dog freaked me out.
“Pet Cematery”(sp?) That evil little kid scared me shitless.

If you can find it…Wicker Man… is very bizarre
and creepy. See a young William Shatner (trek fans)
and its in esparanto (sp?).

I said it wasn’t creepy, just bizarre. Like the part where that guy gets his eyes sewn shut. The woman in the clothing store? It’s just bizarre. And the weird twist at the end. (The third wish? Very unexpected, to me anyway.)

Anyway, I second Lizard’s The Shining. Very good movie. (Anyone see the made for TV remake? With that guy from “Wings”? Ack, that was a disaster!)

Another vote here for the Dutch version of The Vanishing. I saw it first on a black-and-white TV at night on my own. I was not a happy bunny afterwards.

EvilDead II was one of those movies where you just wish it would end and the main character would be OK but things just keep getting worse and worse for him. Many of the scenes you could classify as surrealistic nightmares. only when you finally figure out that the main character has unwittingly opend the gateway to Hell does the movie start to make sense.

Another frightening movie is the HBO special “Miricle Mile”
It is about this guy that answeres a telephone in a booth at 3:30 in the morning. On the other end is this young sounding AirForce Sgt. who thinks he is speaking to his dad. “Dad…weve finally done it…I can’t beleive it…We fired our nukes at the Russians…” Then you hear guards yelling and automatic weapons firing…" By mid afternoon you find out if that was a hoax or not…

I still shudder at the thought of that little flying steel ball…

To those of you who haven’t gotten it yet - all these suggestions are fine suggestions, but none of 'em have the impact of The Vanishing. I don’t think I’m alone in saying that it is in a class by itself, above and beyond any other disturbing movies. Yeah, the Shining was weird, but not like the Vanishing. Jacob’s Ladder? Though somewhat distrubing, not even remotely in the same class. The original Haunting was child’s play compared to the Vanishing. Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, both good movies, but I remember them with a certain fondness. The Vanishing conjures up nothing but dread and horror. I hesitated before I even suggested it, because there’s no way in hell you could get me to watch it again.

I too would vote for Hellraiser. I’m a big Clive Barker fan.

Another good choice is The Bad Seed (1956), though it’s disturbing in a different kind of way. The one problem is the ending is silly.

A few more suggestions:
[ul][li]John Carpenter’s The Thing- Remake of the 50’s classic. Members of a polar scientific expedition are threatened by an alien presence. Creepy for two reasons: 1) You don’t know whom to trust; 2) The victims are isolated in a polar station, so there is no hope of help from the outside.[/li][li]Funny Games- German movie, with subtitles. Creepy pair of young men menace a vacationing family. Beautifully done. See this one if you haven’t yet.[/li][li]Angel Heart- Mickey Rourke is a detective investigating a devilishly puzzling missing persons case. This one really got to me the first time I saw it.[/li]Alien- Unlike the sequels, which use a lot of action sequences, the original relies more on good old-fashioned suspense and is very creepy indeed.[/ul]

You asked for “creepy”. “Creepy” is different from “scary”.

Movies that still bother me, years after I saw them:

*Don’t Look Now

The Man Who Fell to Earth

The Hunger

The Deer Hunter

Wicker Man

Schindler’s List

Be warned: these will almost certainly lose 75% of their emotional impact, viewed on the small screen in the comfortable safety of your living room. Also, the “where are they now?” aspect of watching actors in 25-plus-years-old movies will probably be disconcerting and distracting.

Buddy G beat me to it. I saw Phantasm when I was in my early teens, possibly younger (when did that movie come out?). Scared the bejesus out of me.
Others that make the hair on the back of my neck stand up:
The Exorcist
Henry, Portrait of a Serial Killer
The Amityville Horror.

And for sheer grossness - Bad Taste. The first time I watched this on video, I was stoned and eating a big bowl of clam chowder, just in time for the scene where the back of the guy’s head flops open and his brains come oozing out. It looked just like my chowder. Eeesh!

Ugh. NO. I actually paid money to see this thing expecting some sort of suspense-ish, creepy movie. Maybe with some nice effects. It’s the only movie that I’ve ever even come close to walking out on. No plot at all, pretty much just gore for gore’s sake. shudder
I can take gore just fine, but I insist on a tiny shred of feasibility. Granted it’s probably not as bad as I remember, but I sure would go out of my way to avoid renting it.

I love the Evil dead movies. They’re pretty much a cult thing, and can be hard to find. I wouldn’t call them scary. Maybe a little creepy in the first two. Army of Darkness (the third one) is just too funny for words. And it’s even better if you watch them in order. About once a year my friends and I have an Evil-Dead-a-thon (joiin usss…Joinnn Usssss!) :slight_smile: and it’s just great.

If it’s suspense that you like, try Shallow Grave.

If it’s really disturbing images (and gore) with little plot to get in the way, I’d say that the modern remake of ‘House on Haunted Hill’ is a good choice.

K.

By the way, if kids freak you out, you should see the original Village of the Damned. (British, black and white). This was the original “creepy kid” movie.

Oh yeah, and speaking of creepy kids, how about The Omen?

I found Basket Case pretty creepy, but I was about 15 yrs old when I saw it. I’d assume the effect look a bit dated by now.

I recently saw Where the Heart is on the airplane back from Oregon. Although its an awful, awful “chick flick” that I recommend to no one, I found the fact that the guy she marries at the end basically stalked her at the Wal-Mart (plus he looks real shady) to be veeeerrrrry creepy.

House on Haunted Hill.

Not the one with Liam Neeson and others (Never even saw that one, looked stupid). Only scary movie I’ve seen thats actually creeped me out. Turn off all the lights and watch it in the dark and you’ll freak.

If you want creepy, wondering why the hell am I watching this god awful movie/subject…

8MM with Nicholas Cage.
If you’ve seen it…you know what I mean.

Another one that scared me when I first saw it as a kid was Salem’s lot. When I saw it again a couple of year’s ago, it didn’t seem as good.

The Silence of the Lambs really got to me. I shook for two hours after the movie, and had nightmares featuring the illustrious Hannibal Lector for weeks afterwards.

I’ve seen it since, but can only stomach the TV version. Even then, I get the heebie-jeebies.