The Amazing Race 21 premier (9/30)

How do you prepare to not be afraid of heights?

Which made their helping the other teams so much an especially bad choice. When they said on the mat “it shows the kind of racers we are.” I thought “yes, stupid ones.” I’m not in favor of lying to the other teams. But there’s a huge gulf between that and giving someone exact directions as to how to beat you. What they did was just bad racing.

One of the twins are horrid to the other and the second is freakishly encouraging - that’s an Amazing meltdown waiting to happen.

The abacus woman really threw some of the teams (team Magic Mike & the rockers especially) and the later teams had the advantage of locals having seen the earlier teams looking for her and helping out.

Surely you’ve heard of psychologists/analysts/whatever?

That said, that’s an extreme measure to take for a game show.

I understand that helping your competitors in this race is (usually) bad strategy, but it really burns me when the nice, helpful teams get labeled “stupid”. If they get some moral superiority from assisting others, when a number of other teams just lied to get ahead, I have no problem with that. Again, not great strategy (and they firmly deserve second place), but I’ll definitely be rooting for Team “That’s the Kind of Racers We Are” over Team “We Can Run Faster than TTtKoRWA”.

ETA: Didn’t the eating challenge clue state that the teams couldn’t pick up the fruit bowl to eat? I swear I saw one team do just that. Was there no penalty?

Sometimes you can find them on YouTube. I was able to watch some of the stuff from when they went to Iceland on there.

Yes. That was Team Monster Trucks, and the penalty was that it didn’t count and he had to eat another whole bowl worth.

Two bowls.

Oh man, during the ping pong challenge I was thinking wow, that one twin is insufferably annoying. Then during the eating challenge I realized holy crap, they’re both that annoying. They can’t be eliminated quickly enough for me.

Immersion. Spend an entire day on a chairlift at a ski mountain, go bungee jumping, etc…

Did anyone else notice that after the paddle, the clipboard, the frying pan, and the tambourine, the junior ping-pong champ was playing with the clue envelope?

Yup.

In fairness, we don’t really know that he didn’t do this. Phobias are not something that can be easily or quickly eliminated.
mmm

In addition he made one comment about it and then got the fuck on with the job. He didn’t whine and moan the whole way down, nor did it seem to slow him down more than the few seconds at the top when he was preparing. He was a little cranky with his partner but apologized later and there doesn’t seem to be any residual angst.

I’m going to bet on this one as a non event.

I really really really want the twins to go away though. I don’t know if it was just editing or the one sister really did start bitching just as her sister was about to start playing every single time but holy not supportive. The batting sister was much nicer at the food challenge.

One more thing - WTF casting don’t we have enough trouble telling people apart. James/James/Jaymes, Abby and Abba, identical (practically) blondes, twins. Jesus this season is going to be hell on recappers.

I found it amusing that half the contestants referred to the junior table tennis champ as “he” and half referred to him/her as “she”. I don’t honestly know if it was a girl or a guy.

I read elsewhere - I forget where, but it was semi-authoritative - that it is a girl.
mmm

I recall Phil saying it was a girl. That cracked me up, too—especially as the mom of a girl who sometimes gets mistaken for a boy.

Honey Huan, The Early Years

Just watched tonight, and am honestly not sure how much of the Amazing Race I will be following anymore, as it’s just getting a bit too predictable and cheesy to really fully enjoy.

By now you all know the drill: We have the ubiquitous Two Hott Blondes Team, the Odd Couple Who Are Lifelong Best Friends Team, the Sassy, Snarky Gay Couple Team, the Wholesome Young Christian Couple Team, etc., etc., etc…:rolleyes:

Also the various “Gross Out” eating contests have always been a huge turn off for me, and nothing anyone can say can convince me that these asinine challenges aren’t just the epitome of stupid, lazy, bullshit writing on the part of the Amazing Race producers.

Finally, I don’t recall EVER developing an instant, burning, almost violent hatred of a team like the savage loathing I have in my heart for Natalie & Nadiya, both of whom I would enjoy seeing seriously maimed and disfigured in a fireworks-based roadblock gone terribly wrong.

I have to say that I’m also disappointed in the casting recently – there are way too many dating couples, and not enough with real relationships (married couples, siblings, parent/children).

Many would say that you are able to be in a real relationship without being married or related. I was with my wife for many years before we tied the not, so we were technically “dating” but we certainly had a real relationship.

Well, last year we had Brendon & Rachel who hooked up only for race purposes. Not sure if any of this year’s dating couples have such a shallow history…