The American Coup: 11.9.2020 -

So when Mitch McConnell publicly comes out and says that he’s voting for Biden and all other senators should vote the same he’s doing this because he’s a closet Democrat?

See how big a problem this Deep State thing is? The Proud Boys, QAnon folks and Trump(ers) certainly seem to have their hands full… of… I mean with… um…

This right here is a good example of how crazy things have got at this point.
Mitch has shat on the constitution by ignoring the election results for 6 weeks, justifying it with lies like claiming the Democrats denied the result of the 2016 election. And explicitly endorsing the baseless Trump legal challenges and buying into some of the fraud narrative. Then, finally, he belatedly partially accepts reality, while not commenting on the ongoing shitstorm he helped to whip up.
And you call that opposing Trump

(and obviously we’re putting aside everything McConnell has done to shield trump prior to the election)

And the formulation ‘a republic not a democracy’ is notably unintelligent

In today’s terms. But in the political ideas of the late eighteenth century, influenced by the English parliamentarians of the seventeenth, maybe not so much:

On the one hand, republic = oligarchy (rather than a monarchy) chosen by and from an electorate limited to those who “mattered” in their concept of society, i.e., the propertied and landed gentry, and those who were thoroughly imbued with their values.

On the other, democracy = every johnny-come-lately among the great unwashed.

How far that fits any present-day thinking in the USA, I wouldn’t presume to guess.

Ha ha ha! That is hilarious.

Lin Wood is the perfect embodiment of everything the Republican Party “stands for,” and anyone who voted for Trump and/or nearly any Republican candidate fully supports every bit of heinous, anti-American bullshit this embodies.

Exactly. “Supporting 99.9% of the time” does not equal “opposing.”

This.

No, I think the GOP wants to force him to try to overturn the election. Is that somehow better?

So how does McConnell’s actions fit in with that? He’s been trying to prevent any senators from supporting the latest nonsense and has publicly said that voting for Biden is the most important vote he’s ever made as a senator.

He’s failing to stand up and assertively say: NO, not only will we do no such thing, but any Republican seeking that should be kicked out of the Party. He’s not publicly getting in Josh Hawley’s face to say to him: you are full of shit.

Sure he can put it in more senatorial language but please, he’s been showing only the minimal resistance to give himself plausible cover from both sides.

That’s not at all the message McConnell sent. He said that they should “vote their conscience”, which absolutely lends support to the latest nonsense.

And he also tied an investigation into voter fraud to the $2000 relief bill.

So the idea that he’s standing up to Trump to defend fair elections, would be laughable if I weren’t too busy throwing up.

It is a sad note that the most favorable interpretation is that the Republican leadership is essentially still terrified he might find a way to exact payback from them (by mobilizing the MAGA base to primary them out, or provoking the LoudBois to really take them out) so they are making a big show of only reluctantly going along with the result because the law as it stands forces them to.

The less favorable interpretation is that they ARE only reluctantly going along because the law forces them to and really wanted the courts to tell them to go ahead and elect whoever they wanted.

I can imagine a situation where they do not want the fallout of a 25th amendment solution, so many Republicans have been coddling the president’s outlandish claims hoping he will not do something catastrophic before we get to January 20th.

If we all indeed somehow get past January 20th intact, I suspect the history that comes out afterwards will reveal horrors and corruption that pale those already known.

Individual Republicans are sane. Republicans as a general class are seething delusional goofballs. Those are the people that McConnell needs to serve.

If McConnell thought he could get away with it and have it be generally accepted, of course he’d install Trump. He packed the SCOTUS, he installed a standing filibuster. He blocked election security. He blocked a public statement about the Russians attacking the 2016 election. The only limit to his actions in service to GOP power are what will not lose them power.

Take two letters off our name, we’ll take five off yours. That’s the kind of hardball I’d like to see.

That’s kind of been my take all along, and watching Republicans try to spin this shit as normal is just freaking hysterical.

I haven’t seen it, but Trump is apparently running national advertising spots alleging massive voter fraud and urging his supporters to help overturn the election, or something…I haven’t seen them yet but my family members have and they said they’re pretty horrifying

My predictions may have been wrong in some ways, because I think I may have underestimated the spineless and craven cupidity of the entire Republican Party.

I think the real craziness will start on January 6th. But my miscalculation was that a few months ago I thought the Republicans might draw a line somewhere. But it’s going to escalate of “Trump didn’t mean for anyone to get killed when he tweeted that”. “He was just joking when he called for those executions and he can’t help it if crazy people took him seriously”. Why do you pick on Trump and criticize everything he does?

And I must admit I am looking forward to getting the real story on whatever massive corruption has taken place in the executive branch. I think one reason for this desperate attempt to retain power is that they all know what’s going to come out. It’s going to be epic, and as a person that finds the details of white collar crime and corruption interesting - I’m looking forward to seeing how many of my suspicions are confirmed.

I mean, since you typed this, Ted Cruz released a letter saying he will lead an attempt to overturn the election in the Senate.

Current events are proving you wrong even as you type your defenses of the Republican party. Take the hint!

Does anyone here think that this Republican party… if they saw Donald Trump lose 2020 by the same margin he won 2016… would hesitate to overthrow the government?

They’re barely hesitating now!

Nearly a dozen Trumplican Senators are set to vote to eliminate democracy in the United States, and indicate that they want to install a dictator who did not win the election.

They know the allegations are bullshit. They don’t care. They want a dictatorship and they are willing to do whatever it takes to get one.