The American Coup: 11.9.2020 -

This is exactly the model. Plutocracy with an occasional ornamental election.

A fond memory. I was in college at the time, and I put £50 on The Fridge scoring a touchdown. It played out the way I hoped - a blowout, and they gave him the chance because he was their icon that year. It was a lot of money for a college kid, I think they gave me 10/1.

IIRC they were lead tiles so, yeah.

:man_facepalming:

DYAC!

:smiley:

So Alexa already knows that they will give Trump a 24-hour warning? That wouldn’t be all that shocking, BTW.

That’s actually a genius bet because you knew it was possible that Perry might score; it wasn’t like predicting New Orleans’ onside kick in the 2nd half or Mike Vrabel scoring a touchdown – the Fridge had done it before during the regular season. But being a Super Bowl, conventional thinking would lead a lot of bettors to conclude that it’s too gimmicky and too risky to happen in a game of that magnitude. Most people were probably thinking that Walter Payton (RIP) would have been the ideal choice. Off on a tangent, it’s too bad Payton didn’t score.

If it hasn’t been posted, or if I missed it, here’s the transcript of the entire hour-long shakedown call.

Lol, while being interviewed by USA Today correspondant Will Carless, Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio may have been arrested:

https://twitter.com/willcarless/status/1346205470403350529?s=19

Perdue’s term expired, so his seat is currently vacant, but Loeffler is filling out Isakson’s seat, so she will be seated.

Seated, or continues in office until after the election? Has she ceased to be a senator with the expiry of the old Congress and has to be re-installed?

Continues in office until the special election results.

Let’s go to the quarry and throw stuff down there! He was arrested!

Something tells me it’s not that funny:

Police said Tarrio, who was in custody Monday evening, also was charged with two counts of possession of high capacity ammunition feeding devices, which is a legal term for a firearms magazine that allows guns to hold additional bullets. The devices were found during the arrest, police said.

No, it’s funny. I don’t see him as a guy who’s planning to use high capacity magazines to go on a shooting spree. He’s a guy who owns them because he’s a tough guy who fetishizes having guns. He said he would surrender to authorities, but they caught him unawares and now he has more charges to face.

What I don’t know is if the magazine charge is a felony.

It’s hilarious! It’s hilarious because he thought he could do whatever he wanted, with impunity. But he can’t. And now he’ll find out just how much that sign costs.

I would not be at all surprised if the authorities had some informants planted amongst these “Proud Boys”. And I would not be surprised if Mr. Tarrio is currently singing like a canary for the Feds about who, what, where and when.

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Unlawful Possession of Ammunition (UA): It is illegal to possess ammunition in the District of Columbia unless the person is: (1) a licensed dealer, (2) a federal or city law enforcement officer acting within scope of duties, or (3) holder of a valid registration certificate of same gauge and caliber as ammunition in possession. It is also illegal to possess, sell or transfer any “large capacity ammunition feeding device.” A person guilty of this charge can be sentenced to a maximum fine of $1000 and/or up to a year imprisonment. D.C. Criminal Code 7-2506.01.

If those guys would just jerk off a little. Criminy.

He’s already facing a weapons charge.

Ever since 1776 (or maybe 1787), there’s been some degree of annoying strain on many dictatorships to pretend to be democracies. Authoritarians around the world have had to come up with these tactics for convincing the rubes that, sure, this is a democracy! It’s just a coincidence that I keep winning elections by 96% to 4% vote totals!

Maybe the pressure to “look like” a democracy is diminishing to the point that the dictators can stop with the “President for Life” pretense, and just call themselves Emperor already.

(If so, it will be Trump’s finest achievement!)