The American Coup: 11.9.2020 -

Ditto!

I understand why you may not see this jackass possessing the magazines as a danger since most of these types are chicken shit cowards who get off on waving guns around. HOWEVER, the Proud Boys have shown themselves to be willing to engage in violence frequently. I recall seeing something in one of the threads, maybe in this one, saying Proud Boys intend to show up in DC on Wednesday dressed up as Antifa so they can rampage and get the blame put on the left. Not sure if this is why he had those magazines but Tarrio and his ilk are not the typical limp dicked militia types. They are dangerous domestic terrorists.

Yeah, but if some PB’s are dressing like Antifa (we now have uniforms?), and other PB’s are shooting people dressed like Antifa, won’t they be shooting each other?

… nobody told me there would be shoe requirements or anything like that. Do I get reimbursed? How?

I wondered about that as well. I took it to mean they will do the all-black clothes and masks some of the Antifa folks seem to favor. Pretty sure if they did this there wouldn’t be any PB’s shooting at the ones in Antifa drag since most likely they would all be in Antifa drag.

Or they’re just a bunch of violent morons.

This may actually be where I saw this claim - Proud Boys plan to protest incognito dressed as Antifa

The Proud Boys’ chairman, Enrique Tarrio, revealed on Parler that "the Proud Boys will turn out in record numbers on Jan 6th but, this time, with a twist. "The twist, Tarrio said, is that they will forgo their traditional uniform for something inconspicuous. He wrote: “We will not be wearing our traditional Black and Yellow.”
The group’s standard uniform is black and yellow Fred Perry polo shirts, military armor, and MAGA hats. Instead, the chairman explained: “We might dress in all BLACK for the occasion.” …The Proud Boys intend to take further steps to blend in with other protesters. Tarrio wrote: “We will be incognito and we will spread across downtown DC in smaller teams.”

I think a fair amount of these ‘warnings’ are a mere compilation and amplification of rando FB and Twitter posts and, really, don’t mean shit. Even Tarrio’s post above doesn’t make sense - how will they know who not to fight? Will they have one of these things?

Google Photos

‘Antifa, ten meters!’
‘Where, goddammit, where?’
‘Eight Meters!’
‘Shit!’
‘Ripleeeeeeeeey!’

Ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease…

Check the article I just linked. It has direct quotes from Tarrio and other PB leaders saying this is their plan. Tarrio was arrested shortly after arrival in DC today so that likely takes him out of action but supports the idea there will likely be other showing up. How many remains to be seen but I don’t dismiss these guys like I would some of the other loudmouths.

Maybe they have a secret handshake or decoder rings as well. Who knows. I just find these guys to be one of the few willing to commit violent acts while most others just run their mouths.

Hopefully I end up being incorrect.

Isn’t it kind of a requirement for a false flag operation that you don’t announce it to the press?

Special masks that have a sigil… uh, color… uh… no, not gas masks, uh, not the Frog…

I don’t think they thought or shared the answer.

Maybe MAGA hats used as masks?

One would think. I never said these guys were geniuses, just violent.

Don’t forget

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening through a cosmic vapor of invention.
Taggert: Ditto!

Though somehow I had always remembered this quote as

Hedley Lamarr: My mind is a swirling vortex of incandescent thought.
Taggert: Ditto!

Which I think is punchier, but is apparently not real.

The fact Limbaugh later grabbed “ditto” & “ditto head” to label the goofs mindlessly re-spouting his crap is delicious.

The real proud boys will wear their mask under the chin! They’ll be easy to spot. A lot of them will not be able to button their shirts. And they all have beards, some of them braided even.

I checked the weather for the area tomorrow hoping for rain. No such luck.

Hoping it’s not too crazy.

Once again, Trump is using vague, suggestive language rather than outright statements of intent. He muddied the water just enough by saying “Find me votes,” instead of “Make up some votes,” or “Change the totals.” “What you are doing could be illegal and could get you in legal trouble,” not “I will sick the DOJ on you” or “I’ll have the FBI all over your ass,” or even “I can have the IRS look into your taxes.”

It’s disgusting and it’s transparent to most sane people, but it is also a veneer of plausible deniability from a legal standpoint. The prosecutor would have to work hard to convince a jury that Trump’s motives are clear though his wording seems legitimate. Well, depending on the jury. Previous examples of him doing that kind of thing would be helpful - which we’ve already seen a few. Like Michael Cohen’s description of his style. It would be really interesting if some skeletons came out of his long business career closet.

Gee, who could have predicted that?

I think you mean “… going to continue to use power…”

They’ve already invested heavily in voter disenfranchisement. Efforts will continue.

Excellently succinct summary statement of the whole shebang.

Indeed, Irishman - you’re quite correct.

One point that I’ve been trying to emphasize in my incessant ranting is that coups, whether by military junta or illiberal democracy, don’t just happen; they’re years in the making. They’re the result of years of political dysfunction.

People who say “Well the system ultimately held” are missing the point. JohnT’s absolutely correct: we should have ZERO representatives challenging the legitimacy of this election because there is absolutely ZERO evidence of widespread, coordinate fraud anywhere, and even if there was, nothing would have changed the outcome.

I think Trump the politician is probably well on his way to becoming a historical footnote, but what he leaves behind is significant, and we need to have an eye on both the present and the future. In 2011, there was an attention whoring failed businessman turned popular entertainer who blurted out falsehood after falsehood on twitter. He soon realized that his schtick was actually getting mainstream attention in the right wing information bubble. He also realized around this same time that Republicans were weak, that he knew more about what their voters wanted than they did, and that they were a bunch of weak-kneed pussies who just wanted to connect by using harsh language to win an election before backing off and playing nice on Sunday morning talk shows. I think it was then that he figured out he could use this to build a campaign.

Right now, there is the same thought process. Someone with a lot of ambition and a low regard for political opposition is out there right now taking this all in and getting a massive hard-on at what he sees. Who that is, and how well they can use what they know to achieve political success remains to be seen. I don’t think all hope is lost – the silver lining in all of this is that it has awakened and alarmed those of us who still care about and want ‘good things’ and that could be the basis of a positive kind of soft revolution that takes place over the next generation. But we’re at a crossroads. I think we’ve got anywhere from 2 to 10 years to save our republic. Hopefully we can.

@asahi I continue to be impressed by your sagacity and perspicacity on this one.

I’m a big believer in analogies. The one that occurs to me in this ‘coup’ scenario is …

Years back, my wife and I were on the Interstate. Construction brought 80mph traffic to a sudden and complete halt.

All except the young driver behind me who was busy texting.

She creamed our car, but we – almost inexplicably – walked away. The car was trashed – virtually unrecognizable.

“The Democracy held ?” Yeah. I think that’s subject to interpretation.

It’s like the old saying among pilots: any landing you walk away from is a good landing (but somebody else generally needed that aircraft).

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one. If you can still use the plane after it, it’s an outstanding one.