The American Public is Fucking Gruesome

Not that anybody was disagreeing with that, or that that was the topic.

I’m unclear on the point, here. Obviously lots of money depicts now-dead people (rendered as when they were alive, of course)–monarchies traditionally depict the living sovereign, but continue to use the pieces after he’s dead. And funeral displays of the dead are common in many cultures. Displays long after death are better known outside America.

I assume the middle paragraph is meant as similar sarcasm–but there really are a lot of people complaining about the rapid and “respectful” disposal of the body. It’s not “all anyone is doing,” but the meme is very emphatically out there.

Are there any comparable (relatively recent) examples in other countries? Burning Guy Fawkes* in effigy is hardly akin to desecration of actual corpses.

• Not a terrorist, but a would-be assassin.

Some of what’s been shown on TV is over the top, but two things about that. It makes for good copy so they (media) focus on the most extreme examples. Also, they’re not going door to door to capture the probable overwhelming majority who’ve watched the story unfold intently but felt no cause to celebrate.

Some people are acting in a “gruesome” fashion. Be aware that’s only a limited part of the spectrum and a minuscule slice of the populace.

Be careful when you fight monsters, lest you become one.

~some dead guy

A lot of the concern over this side of the pond was probably due general unease over the safety of his conviction. Had it been felt it was watertight I reckon public opinion would have been mostly in the “don’t release” camp.

OMG, do you mean there is a short term death? Is he coming back?

I was trying to think of a good way to express this thought, and I couldn’t do a better job than this. Thanks.

Screwed up his cameo appearance on The West Wing.

I don’t know if I’m more put off by people who want to see bin Laden’s corpse, or by people who feel the need to haughtily assert their superiority and refinement because they don’t.

Oh, wait. I do know.

I am happy to confirm that this is one of the prettiest sights I have ever seen:

OBL’s ugly dead body

I hope it proves to be authentic, and if it is not I hope someone provides the real McCoy ASAP.

And oh, lemme tack on a few smileys for good measure:

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Aren’t I awful!

That site is titled : Usama bin Laden-Dead Body Pictures are Fake CAUTION Graphic Photos, leading me to suspect that they are fake…

Yeah, I know- I caught that they might be fake two days ago.

But l can take pleasure in the fact that the ugly bastard probably
looked at least as bad as the fakes when they made fishbait out
of him, and he could easily have looked even worse.

That calls for some more smileys!:

:D:D:D:D:D:D
:p:p:p:p:p:p

I’m betting they will never show the burial video either. Not until they edit out the crew chumming the water before they dumped the corpse. (one can only hope he’s a shark turd now)

So wait - are you supporting the OP’s proposition or not…?!

:slight_smile:

Think of how the killers of Jamie Bulger had to be given new identities to prevent them from being killed by vigilantes. I suspect that there would have been the same sort of public celebrating in some quarters of the UK if they had been murdered upon their release from confinement.

I am supporting the propostion that I don’t give a f*ck about the OP propostion.

Multitudes of people turned out to view the dead bodies of Bonnie and Clyde when they were brought back to Dallas-----my father was one of them. He always maintained that people were so afraid of Bonnie & Clyde that they wanted to see for themselves that they were truly dead. That might be one of the reasons people want to see at least pictures of a dead Ossama bin Laden.

Sure. But would there have been calls for their bodies to be publicly mutilated?

Quite possibly, and I would consider it the same way. Understandable, inevitable but unattractive and unhelpful.
I don’t wan’t to live in a society that encourages or tolerates lynch mob justice.

Okay, fine. I understand that there are lots of reasons why people may want to see pictures of the body. But, please, don’t post it on Facebook, or put it on the top page of news sites, or print it on the front page of newspapers.

I got caught by numerous copies of that fake picture, and by the Uday/Qusay pictures, and it really bothers me. I have no desire to see dead people, pretty much ever.

Seeing is believing.

Think of all the rumors over the years, OBL is hiding in a cave, OBL may have been killed in an airstrike, OBL died of kidney failure.