The American Public is Fucking Gruesome

The subject of this thread has been display, not mutilation.

So let me fill the gap by expressing hope that the ugly bastard’s ugly corpse
was defiled with a bit of mutilation.

Defilement by salivation, urination and defecation would also have been
completely appropriate.

Finally, let us add defilement by porcination (“porcine” = of/pertaining to pigs)
as in I hope they rubbed the corpse with bacon grease before they fed it to
the fish.

Hell, back in the day, they’d have tried to get parts of him for luck…

The United States had a tradition of photographing/viewing the bodies of slain outlaws long before Bonnie & Clyde. Well, maybe not long before on account of the mass distribution of photographs not happening until the latter half of the 19th century, but you get my point. When John Dillinger lay in a pool of his own blood, bystanders dipped their handkerchiefs in his blood to save as a neat piece of memorabilia and his body was displayed to the public in the morgue. I don’t know if fear was the main motivation or the fact that Dillinger, Clyde and Bonnie were famous.

Apropos of nothing, I remember when Ken Lay died, there were people demanding to see his corpse or else they were going to believe he faked his own death. :rolleyes:

From what I’ve seen, on the board and generally, there is a very high correlation between those who want to see images of the body, or the body itself, and those who want the body mutilated, or to mutilate it themselves.

I think there’s a little more to it than wanting verification.

Sorry, but Osama bin Laden corpse photo is fake | Osama bin Laden | The Guardian

Hey, the bloodthirsty crowds still want to look at themselves tomorrow as proper human beings. Civilized and all. So they wont even muster the balls to say it flat.
Boy, was Obama good at convincing the world that lynch mob America was a thing of the past.

I am impressed by the caliber of the research you have done,
and by the inferences you have drawn.

Hey Doug, check out post #50 and post #51 when you have the time, OK?

Well, you provided yourself as helpful example.

Who, me?

If I didn’t know any better I would think we were turning into the UK.

You can’t lynch a dead man. Anyway, I don’t think the behavior of Americans in regards to Bin Laden is all that unique. If 9/11 happened in Germany or Great Britain you don’t think there would be plenty of people celebrating the death of Bin Laden?

Nope, there’s a culture of gleeful violence that would be regarded as despicable in any other Western nation. I dont know where it comes from exactly, and I thought it had subsided. I was mistaken.

The sarcasm is strong young jedi.

I’m glad he’s dead, but i’m not happy. That might seem like a rather silly distinction, but it’s how i feel.

He deserved what he got (although i think i would have preferred to see him captured and imprisoned for the rest of his life), and the world is, in one particular way, a better place now. But i can’t bring myself to feel actual happiness about it. Happiness for me is a rather different emotion, something that is a positive expression related to something good and uplifting and affirming.

The death of Bin Laden is something i see as more or less inevitable, and appropriate, but not really something to make me happy, in the positive sense of the word. And it’s still not clear to me whether it will be the end of something, or the start of something else. That is, i’m not sure whether the death itself will end up being merely symbolic, or will lead to an escalation of violence. In those circumstances, “happy” doesn’t seem quite appropriate.

Just my opinion.

Nah, just think of it like a big soccer game.

Or like we were rounding up and killing Jews in Germany. Or bulls in Spain.

Yup, no other Western nation would ever stoop so low as to celebrate when an enemy is dead. None.

If you’re saying the behavior displayed is the same as the spirit displayed in hooliganism, I would agree with you.

So punching a fan of the opposing sports team is the same as wanting to see the final justice of a man that killed thousands?

That’s some enlightened thinking right there.