The American Public is Fucking Gruesome

Being glad bin Laden is dead is one thing, but why the fuck are you excited about seeing his corpse? Like, authentically excited to see his dead body. I was watching CNN this morning and they were conducting interviews with the people who were gathering around Ground Zero to celebrate bin Laden’s death. It seemed that every other person had something morbid to say, whether they were overly jubilant about the guy getting his comeuppance, or reveling in the violence of his death. And they weren’t just celebrating that he had been brought to justice; they were yammering with anticipation about getting to see him all bloodied and shot up.

J. Michael Waller, writing for Breitbart’s site, captures the perversity of the moment when he claims that bin Laden’s “naked, bullet-riddled corpse should be put on display in lower Manhattan for all the world to see.” Not content to stop there, he goes on to say that every American should have access to digitally scanned pictures of the corpse, both internal and external, which I’m assuming means photographs of his* internal system*, like splitting him open and taking documenting the condition of his viscera?[link]. What’s the fucking point?

Am I the only person a creeped out by this behavior?

No. No, you’re not.

It’s like the entire US is engaged in a game of “Who’s The Most Macho?”

All the faithless people want a reason to believe he’s really dead. I think that is most of all it is.

It seems like people have gone in for this sort of thing since time immemorial. Public beheadings and drawing-and-quarterings used to be popular entertainment and they would attract gigantic crowds. And I’d bet that if they were brought back, they would do so again. Like it or not, most human beings are fascinated by gore.

Yeah, I was gonna say this stuff is super-tame compared to, oh, the entirety of human history.

That’s horrible. You just have to wonder what the guy did to inspire such hate.

I’ve heard that in America, corpses are sometimes put on display during funerals.

And now, on every channel, instead of celebrating that Bin Laden did not get away with murdering 3000 people after all, all anyone is doing is saying they want to see his corpse. The “show me your corpse!” signs were particularly disturbing.

What is this American obsession with looking at corpses? Even the pictures on their money are of dead guys.

Liked the BeeGees over the Beatles.

Believed it wasn’t butter.

KILL HIM AGAIN! q

Definitely not the only one.

I agree with the OP.

It’s a primal thing. He was killed by rifle shot. Probably instant and painless. I even think most would’ve like to see him suffer on some level equal to that of his victims. The next best thing? Witnessing his torn apart head and brain matter to satisfy that primal blood lust.

I’m not saying I’m one of them, but I’m not surprised in the slightest. Some people desire the visceral over mere blind knowledge to quench their sense of justice in such an extreme circumstance. ::shrug::

Yeah, it’s a primal thing. It helps create closure. For some reason, seeing dead bad guys helps create closure. Remember how they used to put photos of dead 30’s-era bank robbers and 20’s-era mafia guys in the newspapers? It isn’t for the sake of gruesomeness, it’s just that it helps people’s reptile brain accept that the bad guy is gone for real. 4chan is for gruesome.

No I’m not surprised at the things people are saying, bread and circuses and all that. We are human after all and the primal need for revenge runs deep.
Plus, the news organisations are unlikely to go looking for the most sane and rational people. that doesn’t make good telly.
And lets face it, the groups out on the street celebrating are unlikely to be those with the most measured responses.
I am however a little disappointed. Had you asked what the reaction would be when he finally throws a seven, I really wouldn’t have thought it would be dancing in the streets.

Though not equal in any measure it does bring back uncomfortable memories of those in middle east celebrating on 9-11. We can say “this is different” all we like but those who seek to harm us won’t see it like that and will use it as a recruiting tool if they can.

I think cold indifference is the better response.

If that’s the case they should play “Staying Alive” endlessly at his funeral.

I’ve also heard that some quite object to us letting Jews run about and women live their lives as they see fit.

Wait, are you talking about Americans or the other guys?

Didn’t say they are right, I consider most of the muslim theocracies to be borderline dark-ages. I Merely note that what we do gives them plenty of material to spin for their own audience.