The anti-Trump resistance has become exhausted

New York Times ran a good article yesterday (one out of many, by many outlets, to the same effect): The anti-Trump resistance has run into a wall of fatigue and burnout.

Democratic enthusiasm against Trump delivered good election results in 2018, 2020 and 2022 but they are now facing a problem this time: the energy of Trump voters to get Trump elected may be higher than the energy of anti-Trump voters to keep Trump out. The majority of America may be sick and tired of hearing about Trump, but his supporters have un-dampened fervor as always. On top of that, Biden’s vulnerabilities mean that the enthusiasm of Democrats is capped at a certain ceiling, too.

At some point, it’s not enough to just be against something, you have to actually fight for something.

This is just the NY Times constantly handicapping the Democrats.

The “for” that people are fighting for can be abortion rights, having a Democracy, protecting against Russia invading the rest of Europe. The Democrats just outperformed in the Long Island special election, but somehow that doesn’t count. You can be sure that, had Suozzi lost, it would have been indicative of a Red Wave, but since he won by more than expected, the NY Times wrote about how you can’t take too much away from the election.

It’s February. The election is in November. The fact that the MAGAs are 100% this fired up this far out from the election, is, I think, not great for them. How can they maintain this for 9 months, let alone increase it? Many democratic leaning voters are not that tuned in yet, or at their peak enthusiasm yet, because it is exhausting to be that fired up constantly for this long. The Democrats have a lot of room to grow enthusiasm, and attract moderate and independent voters between now and November, and also to fire up the base. Where do you see Trump getting new voters from or increasing his base’s enthusiasm from this point? Especially with him in court constantly getting beat and having bad day after bad day? His first criminal trial starts just over a month from now and is projected to take about a month to 6 weeks before a verdict. Many people say that they will never vote for Trump if he is convicted of a crime before the election. It’s way way too early to be freaking out like this.

W. B. Yeats had it pegged in 1919:

The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

According to whom? Special elections continue to exceed 2024 margins in favor of the Dems (for the same district note). It will be the Trumpists who will be exhausted and demoralized. As said this is nothing new for the NYT.

Via a daily two minute hate.

(Orwell also was prophetic)

How do we fight, take to the street and beat the MAGAs with glockenspiels?
I’ll vote, altough in a red state. I doubt one can convince MAGAs to vote for Biden.

NYT on Nov 6:

Biden 348 Trump 190: How this imperils the Democratic presidential campaign

“Here’s why this is bad news for Joe Biden.”

Or, “Here’s how this benefits Ron DeSantis.”

Biden doesn’t need any MAGA voters to win the election. Democrats, independents and undeclared voters will beat Trump handily. I predict 90+ million for Biden.

What I am exhausted of is the constant grifting for money from every Dem in the country everytime Trump says or does something stupid, like its the end of the world if I don’t contribute. I’m doing my part by explaining to people why Trump is a bad deal and to not vote for him, and I will vote for Biden come Novemeber. Now get off of my phone! If I want to contribute to your cause reach out without leading with hatred of Trump.

That’s what I said, they will be exhausted. Trump has been campaigning and doing rallies firing them up for what, a year and half already? There just aren’t as many of them anymore. They are loud, and they really really like answering presidential election polls, where almost nobody else does. The media doesn’t help by this breathless need to portray it as a 50/50 horse race.

Yeah but they are also actively throwing anyone out of their club that isn’t 100% loyal to everything Trump. They are intentionally reducing their own numbers and concentrating themselves into an ever more toxic stew. This is usually how cults go. He’s barely clearing 50%, and sometimes not, in the primaries, and he already was president, so that’s not great for him. Republican primary voters are the most passionate GOP voters, and about half of them want someone else.

They can be convinced to vote for None of the Above, though.

Yes. As horrid as Trump is, at the end of the day, Republicans are fighting to get someone elected. Democrats are fighting to prevent someone from being elected.

I don’t buy it. I still hate that fucker with the heat of a thousand suns and will do all I can to get the vote out.

Not this one. I think Biden is doing a great job – he has passed lots of important bills, he’s trying to fix the issues at the border (and is being stymied by Republicans), he’s fighting for Israel and Ukraine. I’m not sure what more I could ask for in a Dem president.

It’s not because of him, but voters give presidents credit for a good economy, and this economy is really good.

This is a bizarre take. The Democratic Party has a clearly laid out platform on most any issue you can think of. One of the reasons they’ve been cleaning up in special elections is because they’re for reproductive freedom, just as an example.

The economy was good when Clinton ran. But middle America wasn’t feeling it. No matter how much she told them it was great they didn’t think it was all that great and Trump won.

It feels the same now. People still feel higher prices in the grocery store…everywhere. It doesn’t seem to them that everything is great (even if you argue it is). It’s a recipe for a Trump win.