The apotheosis of American cooking

I follow Pinterest “cooking” and “food” boards in order to rubberneck just how disturbing my fellow Americans’ dinner plans are getting. I think I found the worst recipe to date today; it would be worse with cream cheese instead of sour cream, and where’s the condensed cream of mushroom soup? But anyway:

Here’s the monster

Have any scarier ones to share?

I was recently startled by this enchilada recipe that calls for condensed cream of celery soup.

A whole teaspoon of chili powder too, huh? My my, wouldn’t want it to be too spicy. Better add some sour cream to that condensed soup to tone it down.

Here’s a recipe my wife found: Easy Cheesy Vegetable Soup

Long story short: Take three cans of cream soup and melt in two pounds of processed cheese. Add vegetables to taste.

What I don’t get about the Taco Bake recipe is that they say to crush “about 3/4 of a bag of Nacho Doritos”. I say, what the hell, use the whole bag! Is this the healthy version or something?

I’m mentioning a recipe from my childhood that I used to call Potato Chip Chicken. It’s chicken that’s been rolled in crushed potato chips instead of flour. You bake the chicken instead of frying it. But I’m not sure this fits the thread criteria because, as I remember, it actually wasn’t bad tasting.

What’s wrong with that recipe? I mean, sure, it’s kind of boring, but that looks like a reasonable foundation to build upon. It’s not like it’s a Jell-o salad, or something.

That’s a classic American casserole. My mom used to make that same dish.

What’s wrong with those recipes? I myself wouldn’t want a steady diet of them, but those are the kinds of things people make and enjoy all the time.

Yeah, I’m not seeing much of a problem here. I mean, I’d probably add some actual flavor, but I’m pondering ways to tweak the general idea(s) already.

I did have what has to be the most Midwestern dip ever on Christmas Eve: equal parts mayonnaise and sour cream with bacon bits and chopped tomatoes, served with white toast wedges for dipping. BLT Dip. It was delicious, yet horrifying at the same time.

Where was the L?

My question exactly. I was told to stop being so literal and not to hog the toast. :smiley:

I was thinking the same thing. We’re a literal-minded bunch around here, aren’t we?

The Doritos recipe may not be great, but I bet it would travel well to a potluck and be popular. I wouldn’t want it all the time, but I’d take a spoonful.

yes, balut. but, since that’s not american I’m sure you’d say it’s just fabulous.

My thoughts too. It’s not a particularly interesting recipe, but neither is it at all “scary.”

I expected something more like hamburger-bacon-cream of mushroom-cheddar cheese soup, which a guy in my college dorm used to make. (Although excessive, it sure tasted great.)

It’s one of those classic homemaker magazine quick and easy meals from the 60s. Use regular corn chips instead of the Doritos and I’d eat it.

Holy sodium, Batman! :eek:

Fine - I’ll be the asshole in the thread…
That’s not real food, I wouldn’t eat it or serve it to anyone I care about. It saddens me that this is considered acceptable when it’s just as easy to cook without relying on over processed sodium and preservative laden cans and bags of factory produced crap.

That’s not too bad. Just a sloppy joe reheated with chips above (maybe waste of good fresh hamburger but nothing more.)

Question: that soup in “The Bonfire of the Vanities” that included some bayou sand (real sand) on the bottom of the bowl; does it exist?

I’m startled, too, but I also kind of want to try it. It’s not what I think of when I think of an enchilada, but it doesn’t look terrible, either. Every once in awhile, I get the hankering for one of those Campbell’s cream-of-whatever type casserole dishes.

Lest you think it’s just Americans who have weird casseroles, I present you with the Flying Jacob, brainchild of a crazy Swede. :slight_smile: Apparently, it’s a “classic Swedish dish,” but I can’t confirm or deny. For those who can’t be arsed to click, it’s a casserole of chicken, bananas, peanuts, chili sauce (like Heinz chili sauce), cream, and bacon. I’ve been meaning to try this for years, but haven’t quite gotten around to it.