The art of the world will be destroyed. You can only save 10 items. Which ones?

My comment wasn’t meant as a refutation of your point; I was just making a side observation. I completely agree that you can’t really honestly judge a work of art until you experience it in person. The same has been said about Jackson Pollock paintings, and it is very true that a picture in a book or on a computer screen does not do them justice.

Not a problem, I didn’t take it as such. Apologies if my response read that way

Lascaux
The Arnolfini Portrait by van Eyck
Nighthawks by Hopper
The Dream of the Fisherman’s Wife by Hokusai
the Aztec Sun Stone
The Peacock Skirt by Beardsley
Bird in Space by Brâncuși
Ubu tells the Truth by Kentridge
The Butcher Boys by Alexander
The Ife Head

I don’t think that’s true, unless you’re going down the rabbit hole of Magritte’s “this is not a pipe”. (To be clear, I’m happily living in that hole.) Instead, it’s better to point out that experiencing a reproduction of art is distinct from experiencing the art in person. Not worse, not better, just different.

And I think we have to recognize that “you have to see it in person” is a very privileged view that excludes almost everyone from almost all art.

With a few exceptions I disagree with this as far as most two dimensional art goes. In fact, the real thing, roped off, under glass, and five feet above the floor in a museum is even less accessible to study and appreciation than a reproduction in a book or on a monitor.

OK, to be honest you’d have to say that “my response to a reproduction of the art is x” and that would be valid as long as you didn’t try to extend that response to the actual work of art itself.
They are two distinct entities in my mind (and in yours if I interpret your post correctly)

Me being unimpressed by a reproduction of “sunflowers” has no bearing on my reaction to the real thing.

Perhaps, but it makes those rare occasions when we do see the real thing so much more powerful.

I don’t know enough about art to have wonderfully educated examples, but my decision process would be specifically to find best examples of different cultures, movements, and time periods. My mind thinks of this as more akin to a seed bank project more than saving what I like personally.

I disagree strongly. (of course if a piece is inaccessible for viewing then I’d argue whether you were experiencing it first hand at all)

In no particular order:

Convergence - Jackson Pollock

The Star - Edgar Degas

The Night Watch - Rembrandt

Guernica - Pablo Picasso

The Sistine Ceiling - Bounarroti

Followed by some Ansel Adams and some more Impressionists.

Yes, we’re mostly on the same page. I’m definitely in favor of seeing art in person whenever possible. But I wouldn’t call the original “real” in opposition to a reproduction.

Modding: Please either drop the “See in person” argument or move it to its own thread. It is somewhat off-topic and is absolutely a hijack at this point.

Please note, I added to this myself.

OK, no problem, It was an interesting diversion but not strictly on topic.

Oh my, I haven’t seen this thread until just now. I’m going to have to go think about it to make a complete list of ten, but I think one item would be those cave paintings in France.

The Starry Night van Gogh
The Monet Water Lilies murals at l’Orangerie
Nude Descending a Staircase (no. 2) Marcel Duchamp
The Gates of Paradise Lorenzo Ghiberti
The Burghers of Calais Rodin
The Chrysler Building William Van Alen
Hall of Prayer for Good Harvests (Beijing)
The Pantheon (Rome)
Mask of Tutankhamun
At least one of the “Moai” (Easter Island)

I save nothing. Art could use a reboot. A reboot wouldn’t be worth destroying all existing art, but it’s worth the last 10 pieces. Otherwise, people will hold those last pieces in false reverence and we won’t actually get a fresh start. Or, if people have truly lost interest in art, then it doesn’t matter what I save.

I like Bach, but if we’re saving classical music I’d go with Mozart. Especially his piano concertos. K 453 / the 17th in G major in particular.

You mean Lascaux?

Obviously.

You save the Ferrari GTO.

Yes. I didn’t name the caves because I didn’t remember how to spell the name.

Lots of good suggestions. I would add something by Dali. Not sure which one. But let’s add a little surrealism