The attitude Democrats need to adopt.

But (many of them) don’t. Which makes Shodan right. There aren’t 100 million women voters.

This seems like a silly hill to die on, when you could just say you meant “100 million women eligible to vote.”

Spartacus

Corey Booker’s name seems to get floated around a lot.

There is not really, in my opinion, a huge difference between that and supporting sexual abusers. I get that there is a distinction between abuse and something criminal, but I still don’t really see a strong foundation for claims of moral superiority.

But the Republicans don’t have some huge base to fall back on. They’re already a minority party that came in second place in six of the last seven presidential elections (and it may have been seven out of seven). And the numbers in off-year elections are similar.

This is why the Republicans are putting so much effort into voter suppression; they know they can’t win an honest election and haven’t been able to for a couple of decades. So they need to make sure that honest elections don’t happen. That’s my concern for November; not whether the Republicans will actually win but whether they’ll be able to cheat enough to claim they won.

This is why women are a key factor is this election. Republicans already know they’re going to lose with other groups and have made sure to suppress the votes from those groups. But they may not be looking at women voters; they may still think that their women will do what they’re told. So that’s a voter base they may not have adequately suppressed.

So to get back to the numbers, there are over a hundred million potential women voters in this country. But it won’t take a hundred million women actually voting to change things. It won’t even take ten million. It might only take as few as a million women switching parties to change the outcome of this election.

I am not in disagreement. However, it’s going to be difficult to paint the women’s vote as one predictable bloc. Sure, the left-leaning women are rightly outraged at this administration, but there are still many women who are not, and are good with the way things are going. You cannot assume all women will vote as a bloc. For every woman pissed-off and going to vote D all down the ballot, there will be another one voting all R. I think it will come down to which side will have higher turnout. As with everything, it will come down to the middle voters, and the Kavanaugh kerfuffle is not the only thing on women’s minds (it has also motivated conservative voters across the board). Democrats should not put all their righteous eggs in one basket, or they will be disappointed, again. They need to appeal to a broad spectrum of voters who are thinking about other issues.

The Democrats went low claiming that an accusation is as good as a conviction.
The Republicans went high on the standard of innocent until proven guilty.

I’d like to think the voters will choose based on that standard.

Neither of these statements is true.

Stranger

If by went low, you mean “pointing out that the nominee for SCOTUS was a dissembling partisan hack with a drinking problem and breathtaking anger-management issues,” yeah, not as well as it should have. But thanks for asking. :rolleyes:

Only the first of these is mainly true. Wages, when matched up to the cost of living, have not grown significantly since the eighties. Where precisely is manufacturing “growing” (at least within the continental U.S.)? And it’s hard to call it “general prosperity” since the middle class for all intents and purposes no longer exists and nearly everyone below the top 10% have to work two jobs to make ends meet.

CNBC: Job gains for the manufacturing industry in the last 12 months are the most since 1995

MarketWatch: Manufacturing jobs growing at fastest rate in 23 years

Business Insider: The US manufacturing job market hasn’t been this strong in over 20 years

From your link:

From here:

As above…

While an improvement of sorts, it’s not the rosy outcome that some might try to make it out to be.

Thanks, President Obama!

That’s kind of what I meant by a tough sell - “the economy isn’t really doing all that well, and it is because of Obama”.

So I should vote for Obama, who isn’t running, and for people who will continue his policies, even though the economy isn’t really doing all that well.

Regards,
Shodan

Guys, you know the maxim about wrestling with a pig? It applies to Shodans as well. It doesn’t matter if his claims don’t make sense or the cites he posts are inconsistent with his position; he’s just going to keep arguing nonetheless because he likes rolling around in shit.

Stranger

I would be more than happy to vote for any moderate Democrat who isn’t a hypocrite, doesn’t want to shout down or physically oppress opinions they don’t agree with, and supports the 2nd amendment. That seems to be a very rare thing unfortunately.

Very clever way of calling Shodan a pig.

New York Times

Have there been any noteworthy reports of anger other than at the hearing? I spent a few minutes searching but didn’t find any. If you know of any, please share.

Seriously, if you were Republican you’d be a birther.

I did nothing of the kind. I’m just making the observation that Shodan is arguing for the sake of argument and does not care whether his claims or statements are intenally consistent or actually backed up by the cites he provides.

Stranger

All I know is that I am 44 and my wife is 37 and we have become so fed up with the current administration, it’s lies, and it’s policies that we have for the first time in our lives registered to vote and will both be at the polls on 11/6. I know we can’t be the only ones.

If things have gotten to the point of actually having me take action, there have got to be others who are even more frustrated, embarrassed, and frankly pissed off, over what has happened the past 2 years and are going to do what they can to mitigate for now, and eventually stop the disaster unfolding in DC. I hear the same from a surprisingly large number of Texans throughout the day; either at work, or the store, or anywhere really.

So, there are some of us out here who have never gotten involved or made any effort to take advantage of the right to vote who will gladly be at the polls to be heard.