The Banana Man

I have been nagged by my recollection of a character on the Captain Kangaroo show called The Banana Man, dressed in a baggy, raggy suit and whose only sound would be a sing-song “La la la la la”, followed by a “Woo!” as he pulled huge bunches of bananas and watermelons out of his pockets and from beneath his suit coat. He would also pull train parts from his clothes, assemble the train, load it with his bananas and watermelons, and drive off the set. Who was this guy? Where did he come from? I don’t remember seeing him anywhere else. Was this his only act? What happened to him? Anybody know anything?

Doesn’t exactly answer your question, but I remember the banana man, and so do others… but he still seems to be a bit of a mystery.

Check out http://www.tvparty.com/lostterrytoons.html the bottom question in the yellow section asks pretty much the same thing you are.

Good luck

I remember Banana Man as a series of quickie cartoons on Nickelodeon during the 80s.
The story was about this kid named Eric, who became Banana Man after eating - you guessed it - a banana.
Whatever happened to that series? IIRC, it appeared as a part of the Danger Mouse series, but I am probably wrong.

Yes, krish, Bananaman shorts did appear as part of the Dangermouse show on occasion. It wasn’t very common, though-- at least not on Nickelodeon in the US-- because in all the many episodes of Dangermouse I watched, I only saw two or three adventures of Bananaman.

I’m not a warlock.
I’m a witch with a Y chromosome.

Now I know there were two Banana Mans, or Men. I do not recall the cartoon, but it does not seem from your description that it was an animated version of the live character on Captain Kangaroo.

I was talking about Nickelodeon in the US, but I do know it came on enough times for me to actually remember the show, seeing I was only four or five at the time. None of my friends seem to remember it, and I can’t find any information regarding it on the internet.