The bare-minimum duties of the Presidency

A lot of a president’s activities seem to be unnecessary - for instance, there is no real need for a president to deliver a commencement speech at a university graduation ceremony.

If a president wanted to really cut his schedule down for efficiency’s sake, what should be his bare minimum?

Delivering the State of the Union address is mandated by law, and that’s just once a year. Signing (or vetoing) bills that come to him - for sure. Representing the United States at summits like the G7 or G20 - sure. Hosting the occasional state dinner or traveling to a foreign nation for one - sure. Campaigning on the road during his reelection year - sure. Hosting various politicians, dignitaries or important people in the Oval Office to discuss stuff - sure.

But what else does POTUS really need to do, and doesn’t have to do? Can he cut 2/3 of fluff out of his schedule?

He can probably cut back quite a bit, and the only people in a position to object are congress and/or the Vice-President. I assume the prez has to at least appoint heads of the various cabinet departments and meet with them at least occasionally, along with the Joint Chiefs now and then…

Interesting question. Under the terms of the 25th Amendment, Section 4, the Veep and cabinet can decide the Prez is “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office” (I assume they’d try to argue that being unwilling and being unable is effectively the same thing), but Congress can also “by law provide” a “body” that can fill in for the cabinet if the Prez has not gotten around to appointing one and put the Veep in charge.

If the Veep won’t play ball because he sees no problem with a do-nothing president, I guess it’s up to congress to think up an excuse to seek impeachment.

Actually there is no requirement to deliver a State of the Union address, it could be a written report.
The President “shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers”
There also commissioning of officers.

Brian

Some have suggested that we need a monarch as a figurehead for all the ceremonial stuff, letting the President … TCB (Take Care of Business).

I volunteered, but …

But who could ever replace Norton I, Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico?

Kinda like the Hippocratic oath: The president should avoid treason

McAfee the III, Provider of the Firewall?

As the head of the executive branch of the federal government, the President has a duty to see that the legislation enacted by Congress and the decisions issued by the federal court system are carried out. I’ll grant that this is a task that can be delegated to subordinates but like any manager, the President has an obligation to monitor their job performance and make sure the work is getting done.

Not even that. The President can just let bills sit on his desk, and if he doesn’t do anything with them, they become law after 10 days. (With certain exceptions.)

What the President DOES have to do with bills, and can’t escape, is making the decision to sign a bill, veto it, or let it sit.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

As already mentioned, he doesn’t actually have to do it in person. And the specified frequency in the Constitution is “from time to time”, so arguably he doesn’t actually really have to do it at any particular time. The annual schedule is tradition only.

I don’t believe that the President has to do anything. He has the power to do a variety of things, but not a requirement.

“Make sure that the laws be faithfully executed” is really his major responsibility. That includes staffing the cabinet and subcabinet positions.

And, oh yes, the hidden clause that requires watching Fox “news” for eight hours every day.

There’s the example of Woodrow Wilson who essentially did nothing while his wife ran the country after he suffered a debilitating stroke in October 1919.

Edith Wilson acted as much more than a mere “steward.” She was, essentially, the nation’s chief executive until her husband’s second term concluded in March of 1921.