The Bates Motel: Psycho Pre-Quel Series Starts Tonight On A&E

In case anyone would like to give this new series a try, it is airing tonight (several times) on A&E and got a good review from the Boston Globe.

As the review points out, those who have seen Psycho sort of know this will not be a happy ending story - but it could be interesting to see what leads up to the classic.

Then again, the review mentions they didn’t really need to reference Psycho or use this series as a pre-quel for it to be creepy and cryptic. (I think most people who like Elementary would also agree there was no need to even go with the “Sherlock Holmes” aspect of the story.)

At any rate, if you were a fan of Twin Peaks, and like a little gore and creep and weird, this sounds like it could be worth tuning in to see how it starts.

It looks interesting.

I’m curious about what they plan to do. My mind imagines something like:
Norman checks in three new guests and stuffs a sparrow

I was thinking more like

Norman offs a couple of classmates and Mother helps him dig a hole.

I wonder if it will be anything like the Henry Thomas/Olivia Hussey young Norman/Mother of Psycho 4.

I watched it. It was ok. The mom was even more creepy than Norman. I’m not sure if I’ll stick with it. It’s nearly impossible to put aside the mom’s fate and how Norman turns out.

I guess this explains why Norman dressed up as his mom when he killed in Psycho? If the mom was originally doing the killing then I could see Norman imitating her. Anyway, that seems like the direction that the tv series is taking. Mom is the original killer and Norm helps her.

They sure fond a creepy kid to play Norm. He’s just as weird looking/acting as Anthony Perkins. The role pretty much typecast Perkins. He was stuck playing weird freaks the rest of his career.

Who do you think was getting the shot in the arm? Was that the mom shooting up Norman while he slept?

That was awful. Full-on teen angst, crappy dialog and poor acting. Farmiga is phoning it in, and that kid. . .just sucks. Turned it off after the group of kids arrived at the party and it turned into a soap opera.

I just hope they don’t go all crazy with UFOs and witchcraft and pseudo-supernatural junk like American Horror Story or Twin Peaks did. There’s enough evil and strangeness in (some) people’s hearts for a more natural story.

At the beginning I wasn’t really sure what decade it was set in. Except for the school girls’ cellphones, it could have been set in the 1960’s. I’m glad to see it set in current times. I did enjoy it.

It is a bit off putting that it’s set in our time with texting and all. The aura of time & space prequel is kinda lost on me.

They did a good casting but too many things happened too quickly in 1st episode – I was hoping that the previous owner would stick around longer and add to build-up and add to flavor of psychological spectrum of mother The Protector. The other thing was that mutual affection got to the edge too quickly (little dialog in the boat) so one wonders where do they go from there.

Overall solid performances for both lead actors and the whole atmosphere – the photography, outdoor scenes and the house – pretty authentic.

Will watch more.

Ed Gein has spawned a lot of media. If he had better lawyers his heirs would be raking in the cash.

Heh, then you actually missed when it got interesting and Psycho-like.

I liked it. I’ll continue watching.

Freddie Highmore, he played Charlie Bucket in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. He’s certainly grown up into an adorable twink.

Why did the cops just show up at 2am? Was that ever explained?

And blood has an odor to it. And lots of blood can be smelled further away than where Egypt-eyeliner-man-from-Lost was standing in relation to the body.

Given that they weren’t aware the place had new owners, Mrs. Bates’ notion that they saw the lights while on patrol and went to investigate was likely correct.

The dead rapist guy hinted that the house and motel held dark secrets. He seemed really practiced and efficient in overpowering Norma, stunning her with blows to the head, and handcuffing her. I think he’s done that a few times before. The book Norman found was probably his.

If this guy has a partner then things are going to get really complicated at the motel. Maybe the partner is holding a victim and he’s the one giving the needle shots?

I wonder if girls have gone missing for awhile in this town? I can see suspicion falling on Norma and Norman for crimes this other guy is doing.

Watched it a few weeks ago via OnDemand. Even discounting the modern setting, there’s plenty of stuff in it that keeps it from being an actual prequel.

In the movie, Norman said his father died when he was 5, and he grew up in that house. Later his mom built the motel when her lover convinced her it would be a good idea. Here we have Norman’s dad killed when he’s a teen, then they move to that house with the hotel already there.

It’s not just contradicting Psycho 4 where you saw this stuff as flashbacks, it’s how Norman described things in the first movie. It’s been running on one of the Encore channels, so I watched it after watching this, just to compare.

I don’t mean to say this as a bad thing, just that it’s more of an “inspired by” than anything approaching a prequel.

I am interested in where they intend to go with this older brother they seem to have invented for the series. I also like Nestor Carbonell as the suspicious cop. I could have done without the fairly graphic (for TV) rape scene, and the stupid rave/party Norman went to.

Yeah, I was also surprised that the rape scene was as explicit as it seemed, but overall, I really liked it. Vera Farmiga is awesome and he’s pretty damn creepy. I just hope it stays more interesting than The Following has turned out to be.

Probably. On the other hand, Mr-soon-to-be-living-the-rest-of-his-short-ass-life-in-agonizing-pain Rapist did say that he was fishing buddies with half the cops in the town, so you would think the PD would have had a heads-up that his place was foreclosed-upon and then sold merely from all the bitching he did about it. :wink:

Finally saw it last night.

Oedipus meets Mommie Dearest - with knives instead of wire coat hangers.

Fun!