The Beethoven-Haus In Bonn

I fancy myself somewhat of a Beethoven amateur “scholar” and am planning a trip to Bonn next April to visit Ludwig’s birthplace.

Have you been and what did you think?

How does Bonn compare with what is available in Vienna?

From what I read on the net, outside of his residences in that Austrian city, there isn’t a whole lot to experience?

BTW, I have been to the internet links, but I am more interested in what **you **might have personally experienced?

I read the story of a man who just stood across the street from the house where LvB was born, and (I guess) had an epiphany of sorts.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Quasi

I went to the Beethoven-Haus in Bonn. It was interesting – the house has been turned into a museum with music and pictures and other memorabilia. (my favorite was an ear trumpet). The coolest part, I thought, was the computer room where you could listen to Beethoven’s music while following along on images of his handwritten scores.

I’m just a Beethoven fan, not anything near an amateur scholar, but I enjoyed the museum, so I’d imagine that you would enjoy it even more. Also, I haven’t been to Vienna so I can’t compare.

If you go to Bonn, you should also check out the Arithmeum – a museum devoted to the history of math with a huge collection of historical calculating machines.