The best deodorant? (slightly TMI)

From what I understand, sweat itself does not smell. The odor is caused by bacteria feeding on the sweat. Those bacteria thrive in moist dark places that can maintain a certain PH level, on the acidic side I do believe. Our skin itself has an acidic PH, right? I’ve heard of the term “acid mantle” when referring to skin conditions. If the deoderant stones are salt based, it makes sense that they work to control odor. Salt is on the alkaline side of PH, and if the bacteria need an acidic environment to thrive, the alkalinity will kill them. Hair can compound the odor problem because it makes it harder to keep the underarm dry. Anti perspirants work by creating a dry, ph altered environment (the aluminum salts in the stuff mixes with the sweat in the sweat gland, and plugs it up) which is hostile to the bacteria, and it kills most of them off. Some/most contain bacteriocidal ingredients also wich are the actual deoderant. The fragrance is there to mask any residual odor caused by little bacterial survivors.

It sounds to me as if using the wipes after your warm up is a good idea. Simple washing takes care of most bacteria, no matter where it is on our body. The more bacteria you get rid of before applying an AP/D, the better it’ll work. Personally, I’d try to apply to the driest skin possible.

My personal product recommendation? Secret Solid. Keeps me dry, if my armpits are sweaty or damp at all it gives me the willies. And it smells nice, but not overpoweringly strong.

Fredge, I wasn’t talking about your natural scent. I was talking about the smell that men’s deodorant has, that cologne-y Aqua Velva-y smell that I really dislike. I like a natural, clean male scent. Maybe too much.

Secret Platinum Protection. Works like a charm, and if you do it just right, you can pull the cap off so that it sucks out a shitload of deodorant as the seal’s broken.

Yes, I have too much free time…

Try Certain Dri. A dermatologist recommended it to me because it works differently than other anti-perspirants and I had allergies. You use it every night, and it permanently prevents you from sweating (with a little maintenance). I can’t remember exactly how it works, but it does something along the lines of sealing off your pores so you don’t sweat. Sounds bad, but it was doctor-recommended.

I find that different foods give me different smells. For years I couldn’t figure out why I got stinky around 10:30 every morning. Then I quit coffee. Now, whenever I drink coffee I know that I’ll detect that unpleasant aroma 2 or 3 hours later. So think about what you’re consuming that might be causing a problem.

I’ve also tried chlorophyll tinctures – and I think it works. I take about a teaspoon mixed with water. I imagine that it can stain teeth green so I brush right afterwards. Might work.

I can stink like the worst of 'em and the crystal is the only thing that eliminates the issue.

Interestingly, there is another version of the crystal that has absolutely no effect on me. I need to find out what the heck is in my old crystal that worked so well.

You might like Arrid XX regular scent. I think it works pretty good and it has a pleasant scent. The verbage on the can actually touts “Powerful Protection Against Your Worst Smelling Sweat.” I kid you not.

I have purchased the Secret Platinum Protection. It seemed to work very well. It did cost about $5, which is more than twice what the other brands cost, but if it works well it’s worth it. I wanted to try the Old Spice, but they only made it in very masculine scents. I may try the Arrid next if it comes in unscented. The idea for me is not to smell at all, of anything, except my perfume, which smells like clean laundry.

I use the Secret Platinum protection too, in the stick/lotion variety (it disappears like a lotion.) I love it, it is clean like a gel but not slimy, and it really, truly works. It is almost eerie, I can be sweating all over from a workout but my armpits are bone dry. And don’t smell. It is the only one I have tried that really works all the time (and I have tried all the major store brands).

Another vote for Degree.

It works great, gender neutral scent (male and female scents available though), and won’t stain clothing (from what I’ve experienced anyway).

Good luck :slight_smile:

And what is this clean laundry perfume of which you speak?

DrySol. You put it on once a week (looks like a bingo dabber) and you don’t sweat at all. You can get it from Canada–just Google it, or you can get it from a doctor. It is used for people who have over-active sweat glands. You may need a touch of deoderant-only as you will still have bacteria/urea which will produce a smell.

I just don’t see why people get botox for excessive sweating. This stuff works great!

Green Bean: The “clean laundry” perfume of which I spoke is called Egyptian Goddess and it’s made by Auric Blends. It’s a scented oil that is a little musky and a little sweet and smells to me like clean sheets right out of the dryer.

This post is for the women readers, and those who love them. I’m making a lazy post and not bringing any research, but “well-educated rumor has it” that using an antiperspirant (making the sweat ducts disfunctional), causes a build-up within the lymph nodes, which are in the vicinity of your arm pit. This increases your chances of inflaming your lymph nodes, which can increase your chances of lymphoma, breast cancer, etc etc.

Without hijacking the thread to discuss the lack of medical research on women…I’ll let you draw your own conclusions about the following observation. Lesbians tend to have a vested interest in Women’s health. I’m certainly not saying that a lesbian is born with the inate sense of medical fact…this is just a variety of old wive’s tale.

Most of my friends choose not to use antiperspirants of any kind, in order to reduce their risks of cancer and other illness. An old bumpersticker from the sheep ranches back home sums up the logic: “Eat lamb. 1,000,000 coyotes can’t be wrong”

That being said, sweating is natural, sweating is good, stinking is…well…I find it personally unpleasant.

The crystals have never impressed me, but I’ve always enjoyed fragrances so that might be why.

I personally use and recommend Adidas Team Energizing Citrus Workout Strength Deodorant. (Quite the marketing marvel of a mouthfull.) It contains no antiperspirants and no alcohol.

My girlfriend uses and recommends Burt’s Bees Herbal Deodorant Spray. I must admit that I also use it quite often and it is quite good. I’m more forgetful when packing than she is.

Oh…and about hair resulting in stronger odor. More hair = more surface area for the odor-causing bacteria to colonize. But I personally would much rather re-apply a product than endure the barbaric procedure that is me attempting to shave.

My girlfriend shaves because her rather course hair causes her a lot of irritation when it is long.

So I suppose my gist is: be informed, be comfortable.

Thanks. I found some online sources, but I’d like to smell it before I buy it! At what sorts of shops is it sold?

** Green Bean**: I find it in Ithaca at those hippy “crystals and bongs” type shops. There are at least 3 places on the Ithaca Commons alone where they sell it. I could ask my friend in New Jersey if he knows a place where they sell scented oils, if you like.

honeydewgrrl, ladies,

May I offer some reassurance regarding antiperspirants and cancer? This association has been determined to be an email legend.

You can do a search on www.snopes.com on “deodorant cancer” if you would like.

Here is a link to the American Cancer Society site that specifically addresses the issue:ACS Email rumours

Rubystreak

May I suggest that you try specifically an antiperspirant with the highest concentration of the aluminum-based active ingredient (aluminum chlorhydrate?) I think the Speed-stick PLUS fits this bill.

Good luck.

lordy…well, snopes and the American Cancer Society trumps a sourcelss herd of anti-antiperspirant lesbian coyotes.

I’m still sticking with the deoderant. Snopes or no snopes, I’ll er on the side of allowing my body to do it’s thing. The stinky bacteria hitching a ride on my body is another matter entirely…

:confused: