The best TV Series you've (probably) never heard of.

Smeghead, series 1 of The Games is available on DVD from the Australian Broadcasting Company online store. It’s regionless, but you will need PAL-compatible equipment to watch it. And when they say delivery takes seven weeks, believe it.

(There’s nothing listed for your location; if you’re in Australia, disregard the last two sentences.)

What’s Alan Watching? - Though it doesn’t meet the OP’s criteria of “series”, that single, Eddie Murphy produced, hour long pilot was, by far, the funniest thing I’ve ever seen on TV.

Which is sad as sad can be. GvsE and The Chronicle were both great shows.

Strange Luck - with D B Sweeney.

…and GvsE had one of the best theme songs I’ve heard in a long time coupled with cool retro-70’s opening credits.

Weekend, a sort of 60 Minutes on Acid, an offbeat newsmagazine show on NBC that shared the 11:30-1 AM Saturday night timeslot with the fledgeling Saturday night Live. SNL eventually took over the slot altogether. I missed Weekend, which was definitely worth watching. Hosts Linda Ellerbee and Lloyd Dobbins turned up a couple of years later on the late night news show NBC News Overnight, which had some of the Weekend craziness to it.

Eerie, Indiana

One other Ultraviolet viewer here, saw it for the first time this spring. Great show, wish there had been more episodes.

Save for my father and one University friend, I don’t know anyone who has seen the old British show The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin. Too bad for those who never found it, Leonard Rossiter gave one of the greatest lead performances I’ve seen in a comedy.

I loved the original Eerie, Indiana. They canceled it then brought it back several years later on some kids network (Nickelodeon?) and ruined it.

Here’s another one:
The Jackson 5 cartoon

And although I’ve never seen it, I’ve heard about a really bizarre Canadian soap opera called “Strange Paradise” Anybody ever see that?

My roommate and I used to watch this religiously, at least at the beginning.

Leonard Rossiter is one of those guys who usually plays peripheral roles in films – he’s the lead Rusdsian on the Space Station in 2001 who asks Heywood Floyd abouth the “plague” that’s shut down the Clavius Moonbase. And he plays a priest in the Stacy Keach version of Luther. That’s all I can recall without recourse to the IMDB. “Rise and Fall” is the only thing I’ve seen him play a leading role in.

I thought it was truly bizarre when I saw an ad for “Junk!” in TV Guide many years ago – it was precisely Reggie Perrin’s idea for “Grot!”

I actually watched that and liked it! But i completely forgot about it as soon as it was canceled, and only just now remembered it. Weird.

That I don’t know. the show was about a battle between good and evil, and the good guy had a sidekick that was a british style wrestler. Same show?

Television Parts Hosted by Michael Neismith, later (or earlier) he did Elephant Parts

• Emergency!* Not the one with John Gage and Roy DeSoto. It was a comedy about an ER. It was set up like a stage play. Elliot Gould played the doctor, everyone else was nobody. It had a snappy intro tune. It was based on a play, I think, from here in Seattle,
    It was about the same time as the play, Angry Housewives, was tried as a pilot. (It didn’t make it beyond that, a pilot)

[nitpick]
Actually, it was called E/R
[/nitpick]

Years ago there was a pilot that evidently was not picked up. It starred Max Baer Jr.
{Jethro} as a cowboy type detective who drove a big souped up pick up. His sidekick was a techie in a wheelchair. MAx is a pretty big rugged guy and played the part well with his stetson hat, cool sunglasses and black leather gloves. In one scene he comes out of a building and some bad guys come riding up on their harley’s to discourage him from continuing his investigation. He pulls his leahther gloves tight and wades into them beating the B-jeesus out of three or four. He turns to the one who is still sitting on his bike looking very surprised. In a very convincing Dirty Harry style says. " You just saw what I did to all of them. Just imagine what I’m going to do to you." At which point the guy guns his hog and splits.
I was hoping the network would pick up the series but alas it was not to be.

Don’t think so, then. No sidekicks. It was, now that I dredge up more details, pretty much like The Fugitive, except instead of the one-armed man it was instead his green-eyed brother.

-Joe, one man 'armed

picunurse writes:

> Elliot Gould played the doctor, everyone else was nobody.

Maybe you didn’t recognize them, but there were other people of interest on the show. It co-starred George Clooney, for instance. (Which means that Clooney was on both shows called E/R.)

I loved the campiness that was Special Unit 2

I was a big fan of Tales of the Gold Monkey even if they did insist on calling Jake’s Webley revolver a Weatherby.

Thank you! I thought that might be it, but I couldn’t remember.