The Blues IS a traveling thing?

In the song Everynight When The Sun Goes In Jo Stafford sings the blues IS a traveling thing. Is this correct. Or should it be ARE a traveling thing.

I know a lot of times songs aren’t grammatical for effect.

I would think that the blues is a singular thing. It isn’t several feelings, but one.

That’s pretty much what I was thinking, too. I think she’s referring to her own personal blues, so yeah, it’s singular.

The Birds is Coming – A. Hitchcock

“THE BEATLES is coming” – advertising button for the “white album,” summer of '68.

Uke

Hey … the blues is alright. :wink:

When yer talkin’ 'bout the blues, the blues talk anyway it wants!

Yer pal,
Satan

Well, technically, if you refer to “The Birds” and “The Beatles”, each are singular nouns. “The Birds” is a movie. “The Beatles” is a group.

Ooh, just reread one of those posts, if “The Birds Is Coming” was the title, that would be wrong. But, if he was referring to his movie, “The Birds”, it’s right. I, personally don’t know which was the actual title of the movie.

Actually, Cessandra, on most style sheets I’ve seen for publications (ones I’ve been published in and others I haven’t been published in), groups shold be singluar except where it seems grammatically awkward. Thus, you shouldn’t see a magazine in the states (although, to be fair, all magazines have their own style sheets) that claims “The Rolling Stones is on tour.”

English music magazines, however, refer to bands in the plural case for the most part. There the sentence “Metallica are on tour” is common.

Yer pal,
Satan

Well, maybe according to your style sheets it’s wrong, but I’ve seen The Rolling Stones referred to in the singular often enough.

How nice that you choose to argue with me on a subject I am very well-versed in!

I’ve been published in magazines in over three continents. I have been in magazines as grand as Creem on down the scale to regional publications. I made my living as a music critic for a while, and I have been writing in some form or another for over ten years. In addition, I’ve been exposed to more music press in my job than anyone else here I’ll bet.

I cruised over to the site for (arguably) the most prominent music magazine in the world Rolling Stone. I then went to the band section which listed a bio on The Rolling Stones. Please note the wollowing found at http://rollingstone.tunes.com/sections/artists/text/artistgen.asp?afl=rsn&LookUpString=422 if you will:

“The Rolling Stones define rock ‘n’ roll.” - This was the lead sentence. Note it’s use is plural.

“The Stones are just three of a growing circle of musicians…”

"By now the Stones are becoming a ferocious R&B machine. "

Now then… Let’s look at a band without a name that lends itself to pluarlity. A favorite of mine called Rancid. This bands bio is located at http://rollingstone.tunes.com/sections/artists/text/artistgen.asp?afl=rsn&LookUpString=379 for your edification:

“Rancid was formed in 1991…” - Notice the band is singular, the way most bands are listed.

Any questions?