The Book of Boba Fett

Danny Trejo is in the new episode!

Did that chase scene seem a bit slow to anyone else?

Slow? Yeah. At first, I also thought that it seemed too dependent on the usual chase scene cliches. But then I realized that they were actually heaping each of those tropes (someone in the road, crashing into a vendor cart, etc.) in a way that pointed out how cliché those tropes are, as a satirical meta joke. I really started getting into it then.

The training sequence where he trains the Sand People how to ride a speeder was really funny.

Note: I’m referencing last Wednesday. I haven’t seen this week’s.

And if the water dealer doesn’t shape up soon the super karate monkey death car is going to park in his space.

Does anyone have the full lyrics for the Boba Fett theme song from the closing credits? It starts with “Hum da dum hum da do hum dum dum hum” but I was too lazy to transcribe after that.

Say what you want, but I’m glad I live in a world in which Stephen Root is part of the Star Wars canon.

I also appreciated the Biff Tannen crash at the end.

When the chase started, I made a joke about some big panel in the road and a fruit cart and when it all happened, I was dying. Like by meeting my expectations it somehow was surprising but not overboard in the wink wink nudge nudge way.

Yes. For two reasons, I think:

The first is that they weren’t going very fast. It was a comic chase, and as such, they didn’t want it to look like the participants were posing any real risk to innocent bystanders. I don’t think they ever went faster than 40 mph.

The second is that flying objects always appear to be slower, for any given speed, than objects on the ground. For a hoverbike to look fast, it has to be really fast, like the ones on Endor in Ep. 6. Otherwise, the fact that it isn’t in contact with the ground makes it look slower than it actually is. I’m not entirely sure why.

This is the second episode in a row that mentioned that Tatooine used to be covered with water. Is that from a novel or new info created by this show?

Choose Your Destiny: An Escape Mission is a canon audiobook released in 2019 in which something called the Legend of Lehon is mentioned. If you believe such things, Tatooine was once covered by lush jungle. According to Wookieepedia, the reason Tatooine became a desert is yet unknown.

I noticed that myself. Seemed plotty.

So, upthread, there was discussion of what exactly Boba Fett is Daimyo of. In his conversation with the mayor of Mos Espa (replayed in the “Previously On” preface to this episode), Boba Fett refers to himself as the Daimyo of Tatooine. Yet in this episode, he refers to his “district”, and tells the Water Merchant that if he doesn’t like his rules, the Water Merchant can move to Mos Eisley, implying that Boba Fett’s “district” doesn’t include Mos Eisley - or anywhere much beyond Mos Espa. So…what is his territory?

Also, someone mentioned upthread anticipating Boba Fett pulling a Yojimbo, and playing various factions off against each other. So far, though, it seems like the whole series is an inverse Yojimbo, with various factions aiming Boba Fett at their rivals:

• the Tuskens don’t use him, he’s the instigator, but he winds up being a Tusken weapon against the Pykes
  • the Pykes point him at the Nikto Sand Riders
  • the Night Wind Assassin points him at the Mayor
  • the Mayor points him at the Hutts
  • the Hutts point him at the Pykes
  • some Random Water Merchant points him at the cyborg swoop gang
  • the cyborg swoop gang points him back at the Random Water Merchant

Honestly, he seems like kind of schmuck in this series.

Not just a Random Water Merchant; that was the fairly-ubiquitous Stephen Root.

One of the problems with Star Wars worldbuilding (that I’ve mentioned before) is that

1.) portable and readily-available powerful general-purpose AI
2.) portable and readily-available antigravity and atrifical gravity
and
3.) portable and readily-available FTL

Would make the SW universe profoundly post-scarcity. Restoring Tatooine’s oceans from the local Oort cloud should be a fairly simple project, with “cost” being barely even a concept. (It was only in the most recent movies that they came up with the special plotpointonium rare fuel that is needed for operations.)

Killing off all the Tuskens makes me think they made us watch them dance for twenty minutes for nothing.

Look how interesting their culture is…and they’re dead.

That was exactly my thought when I saw the Space Mods and their scooters all tricked out with mirrors.

It’s strictly Legends material at this point, but in Knights of the Old Republic, a Tusken historian explains that their ancestors had just barely discovered space travel about 25,000 years ago, which caused the Rakata to take notice of them and conquer the planet, and when they subsequently rebelled generations later, the Rakata launched a Base Delta Zero attack on the planet which destroyed most of the population and desertified the planet.

I played a lot of KotOR, and I don’t remember that but if lore at all. Must’ve been one of those details I just never retained.

When you meet with the Tuskens, you have to have HK-47 with you to translate, and you need to insist that he relate their entire history to you word-for-word without questioning it.