[QUOTE=Swampbear]
I’d venture to say most of us would cut severus a little slack here. I mean, who amongst us has not experienced the Dope’s infamous sloooooooow as moooollllllaaaaassssseeeeessss server before?
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Captain Lance Murdoch]
Those of you who picked Evel Kenievel are forgetting one thing. The USA has the highest doctor to daredevil ratio in the entire world.
[/QUOTE]
Well, if anyone would know that, it would be you, Lance.
Lena Horne, singer and entertainer
alternates (as if any of my picks will die in the next year, let alone the next 4 hours!)
Marianne Faithful, 60’s singer
Smokey Robinson, R&B singer/songwriter
John Forsythe, actor
[/QUOTE]
I hate to bring this up after the deadline but I just read this. Is Mrs Griffey famous? I mean every famous person has parents but that doesn’t make them famous on their own.
Absolutely nothing against severus (really sorry severus), but let me be the dissenting opinion here.
This is a black and white issue. Deadline is 2359 hours 31 December 2006. For everyone. Period.
We’ve all experienced slow servers. We should all understand that this could have been predicted. You play with fire, you risk getting burned. severus got burned.
I’ve lost items on eBay because I didn’t snipe it properly. You think I go to the seller and ask if I can have another chance at the item because my server hiccuped?
[QUOTE=Loach]
I hate to bring this up after the deadline but I just read this. Is Mrs Griffey famous? I mean every famous person has parents but that doesn’t make them famous on their own.
[/QUOTE]
She was in the news recently because both of his parents had been diagnosed with cancer at the same time. But here it is again, the famous for being sick problem again. Granted, it’s not for the 70 points that mr. unknown blog dude is.
[QUOTE=Loach]
I hate to bring this up after the deadline but I just read this. Is Mrs Griffey famous? I mean every famous person has parents but that doesn’t make them famous on their own.
[/QUOTE]
I had wondered last year when I had Earl Woods, Tiger’s Father, if that was pushing it. But even though he would likely not be known if not for Tiger, I felt he was so much a part of Tiger’s story, that he would count.
I think most non- golfers even know of his dad’s early coaching of Tiger, that he was retired from the Army, that even the nickname Tiger comes from his Dad’s army buddy in Vietnam. In most every interview Tiger mentioned his father, and every story about Tiger’s life includes quite a bit about the relationship Tiger had with his father.
It was big news when Tiger’s dad was too ill to attend tournaments, and then when Tiger skipped some important tournaments to be with his ill father. But I felt he was already well known by that time.
Not sure how that all relates to the question, but that was my reasoning for using another sports star’s parent.
[QUOTE=qwest]
Absolutely nothing against severus (really sorry severus), but let me be the dissenting opinion here.
This is a black and white issue. Deadline is 2359 hours 31 December 2006. For everyone. Period.
We’ve all experienced slow servers. We should all understand that this could have been predicted. You play with fire, you risk getting burned. severus got burned.
I’ve lost items on eBay because I didn’t snipe it properly. You think I go to the seller and ask if I can have another chance at the item because my server hiccuped?
Better luck next year.
Sorry again severus.
[/QUOTE]
How about a penalty for severus being one minute late? If he should happen to win, he only gets half of the huge cash prize?
[QUOTE=Loach]
I hate to bring this up after the deadline but I just read this. Is Mrs Griffey famous? I mean every famous person has parents but that doesn’t make them famous on their own.
[/QUOTE] I suggest you read the rules again:
I don’t make 'em, I just play by 'em. Besides, I don’t want to be the one to break the news to **Annie-Xmas **, who chose the entire Bush family, including the twins, who have no other claim to fame other than their father. I leave that to you.
Anyway, as I said, I don’t really mind. I’ll let a35362 decide, since she’s the one organizing the contest. And if she thinks that my submissions were too late, well, I only ask her, if she doesn’t mind, to keep track of them anyway, as she does with the other “official” picks, so I know how well I would have done. I’m only doing this for fun, and anyway, I’m not actually expecting my picks to die. I didn’t all choose them at random, but… it was pretty close to that.
[QUOTE=qwest]
<snip>
This is a black and white issue. Deadline is 2359 hours 31 December 2006. For everyone. Period.
<snip>
[/QUOTE]
True. But remember, that’s CST. So severus was not an hour and 2 minutes late, he was only 2 minutes late, and would have been on time if not for the server going down. He said he was in mid post when it did.
Unfortunately, appleciders was a good deal later than that
I just gave my sidekick at work a copy of my list so he can play along. “Nicole Richie, cool,” he said. “Um, you know what I mean … well, since you play, I guess you do know what I mean.”
I like this kid! (And if I were willing to have my sidekick at work reading my posts, I’d definitely turn him on to the Dope.)
[QUOTE=Fear Itself] I suggest you read the rules again: I don’t make 'em, I just play by 'em. Besides, I don’t want to be the one to break the news to **Annie-Xmas **, who chose the entire Bush family, including the twins, who have no other claim to fame other than their father. I leave that to you.
[/QUOTE]
At least they have a claim to fame. They are in the news. They have been on the cover of magazines. They have been in the National Enquirer. I assume that all notable people have parents. That doesn’t mean I should pick Stephen Hawkings Mum or Bill Gates’ Dad. I hear that Brad Pitt’s cousin Elmer is sick, should I have picked him?