Hiya, I’m Idle Thoughts and I took over for Baker starting this year. I thank her heartily for running it all those years, as should you.
I doubt very many will be new to this game, but just in case you are, I’ve written out the rules below. Also, since I’m the new host of this, I have made a few changes. I will put these changes in bold.
Here is the thread for 2016’s game, by the way.
- You pick 13 celebrities that you predict will die in the year 2017. If any of your celebrities dies, you score 100 points minus their age at death. Whoever has the most points at the end of the year…wins. It’s just that simple.
- All picks must be made by December 31st, 2016, at 11:59PM, MOUNTAIN TIME. I don’t care who you are or what your reason is, if you are even ONE MINUTE late, at midnight of Jan 1st, you will be turned away, I’m sorry.
- Valid picks CANNOT be:
a. already dead
b. already over 100
e. under age 18
f. a registered member of the SDMB
g. hostages held by terrorist organizations
h. famous solely as a result of their illness or the events surrounding their death
If you have any questions about who is or is not a celebrity, feel free to PM me.
- If we are uncertain about the celebrity’s age at death, we will go by the higher age (lower score).
- Prisoners held on death row count only if they die by means other than official execution.
- If you kill anyone on your list to try to get ahead or cheat, then you’re automatically disqualified.
- Editing your choices: You can change the people on your list as many times as you wish before the deadline above, just make sure that your FINAL list is known, otherwise I’m going to take the first 13 of yours I see listed.
- ADD TWO OR THREE “ALTERNATES” if you want IN CASE SOMEONE ON YOUR LIST DIES EARLY.
Sharing news of celebrities in ill health and whatnot is up to individual posters.
If a player changes their username at some point, post this news on the thread, or PM me, so I know who you are.
I’M HUMAN, I MAKE MISTAKES. I’m also very bad at math. This includes SIMPLE math, so if I have made a mistake, please tell me via PM.
You ARE ALSO BEST SERVED TO KEEP TRACK OF YOUR OWN, PERSONAL SCORE…JUST IN CASE.
**I will probably update the thread with scores once or twice a week.
I’ve decided to keep the awards, because they’re always fun…so they are:
The “Opening Kickoff” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the first listed celebrity to die in 2017.
The "Quantity Not Quality*" Award*: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the greatest number of celebrities who died, regardless of their actual point value.
The “Inside Track With the Grim Reaper” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who had the most unique picks that died.
The “Robbing the Cradle” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the youngest celebrity to die in 2017, but see rule 3.d.
The “Final Hours” Award: awarded to the poster or posters who pick the last listed celebrity to die in 2017.
And THE NEWEST ONE, added by yours truly: The Best Themed List Award: Awarded to the funniest themed list as voted on by…let’s say…me!
Example of a submitted list
Homer “You Thought I Was Gonna Name Him Derek Didn’t You” Smith
Jeff Somethingorother (and it even says so on his birth certificate)
However, if you want to add commentary, like below–it’s fine, just clean up the list after by posting it a second time.
Abe Vigota (I think he’s still alive, right?)
Fidel (I’m FINALLY freaking dead!) Castro
Donald Trump (I can wish)
REMEMBER TO ADD TWO OR THREE ALTERNATES IN CASE OF EARLY DEATHS BEFORE THE GAME STARTS.
**Most things will be kept the same. However ONE major change I’m implementing is a change in how score will be kept. I’m going back to the roots of it. How it was originally done. With as simple a score as possible. This means I will display the poster’s name, their place, and their score only…and that’s it. All as it should be.
If two people have a score of 87 and everyone else has 0, those two are TIED AT FIRST. If one has 87, two have 78, and everyone else zero, then those two are TIED AT SECOND.
You don’t like this way of scoring? Well, I’m very sorry. Cover your eyes, then, whenever it’s posted. If that small of a change is seriously going to bother you so much that you can’t bear it…you’re probably better off not playing at all.
…but that’s the way the scores were originally kept and that’s the way I will be doing it. I’m sorry to anyone who is really upset over this.**
And that’s about it…If anyone has any questions at all, PM me and I will get back to you ASAP.
Have fun, everyone. Good luck!